• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Security  is not financial anyway. Nice to have some money, but there is a happiest medium between being so rich one feels they do not need God and being so poor they resent Him over what they do not have for themselves, thinking their reward is here and now.

This is not the kingdom of our Lord Jesus, it is the wild jungle. Our riches for today is in our  ability to share the gospel of Jesus with friend, family, stranger, and even enemy. Praise God for that privilege. That is where to concentrate most  effort  work  study and  prayer.

All of the above is a litinay of one amateur's experiences and thoughts,  and is not solid financial advice for anyone else, just an accounting of one person's multi year experiences and personal conclusion for their own use.

I really appreciate you going into your experience. Quite the rollercoaster, my goodness. I guess it's fortunate for me to have been profitable over the last few years with very careful planning and so I tend to miss alot of the downsides. They are there.

Oh yes, we do take a gamble on many things in life. I guess my really narrowed in focus is the definition of gamble and the philosophy behind categorizing gambling and investing together in a way that is absolute. This would perhaps take a pages long essay. I'm not sure lol. But I agree, we take a gamble on things in life and this doesn't make them sinful depending on their nature.

Amen :) We do need to keep our focus on the Lord and know our priorities are on Him. Material wealth can be a blessing and a temptation.

Edited by chrysalis09

57 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

Except, or realizing,  that living off the proceeds of others is not a type of work approved in Scripture.

Thanks for this, I'll have to look into these things.

I guess my takeaway from this thread is that there are many different opinions and experiences on some matters. We know Scripture is the Truth but some of us interpret non-essential salvation topics differently based on our walk with God. I'm glad to see all the views and see where it takes me in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, simplejeff said:

Except, or realizing,  that living off the proceeds of others is not a type of work approved in Scripture.

Sorry! I guess one can go live in the woods and squat  under the trees if they feel they are supporting an unbiblical system paying for a place to live and to have conveniences.

It is not living off the proceeds of others. If it were then  the same can be sid of the butcher the baker and the candlestick maker, all of whom provide something of benefit in exchange for currencies which also represent the value of another's work.

Taking risk building and operating  places to live for people, providing the  water, sewer, trash, cable TV and internet, yard and landscape maintenance, security, working washers and dryers, new carpet, new interior paint, paying the local property taxes, and State licensing fees of many kinds does not come  to the owner operator as simply taking of the proceeds of others.

But yes,  very few understand the benefit received for pay when they are the payer, all they see is the new lease agreement coming up and it is almost always higher cost than the last one. Mostly because insurance and property and service taxes get increased.

It is Biblical to recognize that a workman is worth his wage, no matter what the service provided may be, anything and everything from teaching the word  of God to fixing the cable tv system to selling insurance policies.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

52 minutes ago, chrysalis09 said:

Thanks for this, I'll have to look into these things.

I guess my takeaway from this thread is that there are many different opinions and experiences on some matters. We know Scripture is the Truth but some of us interpret non-essential salvation topics differently based on our walk with God. I'm glad to see all the views and see where it takes me in the future.

And my God bless you in both fortune and famine, good and bad events. For they will come at times. It is all going to burn anyway, eh?

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

But not everyone is going to burn.

Times/ fortune/ famine/ good/ bad ?  

What does  Jesus Say ?

WOE

to who ?   the rich,  the comfortable,  those men speak well of .....

So they burn .....

---------------

Blessed are you

WHO?

• Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  04/06/1987

Romans 12:2 - And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Colossians 3:2 - Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

10 minutes ago, BrandonRTyler said:

Romans 12:2 - And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Colossians 3:2 - Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Amen brother! :) We should all strive to do this every day.

God bless

Edited by chrysalis09

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 6/5/2019 at 12:00 PM, Journey365 said:

I wanted to ask others here. Is it Christian like to invest in stocks in the stock market?

Well maybe you can gain money from this. But you can also lose all your money as well. I have been thinking of this for years. Whether to do it is right or wrong. Not that I have any involvement. I just think and ponder about certain things kind of randomly.

So if you can gain in the stock market. Or if you can lose all your money depending what happens to your stock.. then is this too risky?

Do you think God approves Christians to invest in the stock market or is it a waste of time and money? Would God want to use this money for other purposes?

What do the members here think according to biblical standards and ones also point of view on business matters for everyday Christians world wide?:whistling:

Isnt that what all businesses do, they buy stock and sell it more expensive.