IGNORED

Is It Wrong For the Pope to Change Jesus' Word in the Bible?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

Romans 14:5-6 KJV  One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.  6  He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Colossians 2:13-17 (KJV)  13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;   14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;   15 [And] having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.    16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath [days]:   17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body [is] of Christ.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  337
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

On 9/16/2019 at 6:40 AM, unworthyservant said:

I don't believe that he's changing Jesus word but rather he approved of a change to a French translation of a Vulgar Latin translation of an earlier Greek text. The new translation doesn't sound heretical or anything and it doesn't really change the meaning much at all, so I don't see it as a problem. For future reference on such matters of translation, I recommend starting with the commentaries of Matthew Henry and Adam Clarke. Then with those as reference you can better understand where the newer commentaries are coming from since many reference them. Now, if you want another conundrum from the translation of the Lord's Prayer that's puzzled scholars for centuries, look at the translation of the Greek word ἐπιούσιον or the transliterated epiousion. It's at the end of the phrase that in the KJV reads "Give us this day our daily bread." It was translated "daily bread" but if you look back the actual word appears in NO other known Greek writings. It's only known use is in that very verse. (no where else in the NT either). Scholars as far back as the early Church writer Origen, have debated it's meaning and origin. Origen even went so far as to suggest it was just a word that the early church leaders or disciples (or even Matthew himself) made up. Some have surmised that it's a conglomeration of two Greek Words, transliterated epi and ousios. Then they jump through hoops to determine what the meaning of such an hereto unknown word conglomeration could possibly be. Although I'm not Catholic, I kinda like the interpretation of St. John Chrysostom the 4th century Archbishop of Constantinople who thought that the bread for which we pray is only “bread for today.” He said that "it is not for wastefulness or extravagant clothing that we pray, but only for bread and only for bread on a daily basis so as not to worry about tomorrow" This was at a time when many Catholic leaders insisted that it was about the Eucharist. This doesn't fly in my opinion since the word part "ousion" refers to substance of a thing or sustenance and so daily sustenance or daily bread wouldn't refer to the Eucharist as it's more general. This theory is derived from the fact that epi, when used alone actually is a comparative adverb that indicates excellence and so excellent sustenance or bread must be the Eucharist. Scholars to this day still can't find any empirical evidence of even the words existence much less it's meaning in any other ancient Greek writings and so still debate the word. Sorry, didn't mean to get off on such a tangent but since I'm not concerned by the French translation change, I thought I'd throw out another bone just for discussion.

Hi US,

I'm very familiar with catholic teachings and do not know of anyone that teaches that the daily bread in your post refers to the Eucharist....Jesus had not even instituted the Eucharist yet - this took place at the Last Supper. (for Catholics, anyway).

It has always meant what you said.   Give us THIS DAY what we need to live...we need material things every day, including food.  Do not worry about tomorrow for each day has its own worries.

Very good point...

Even the Manna in Exodus was given on a daily basis and if they tried to save it, it would go bad.  As if, yes, we have to trust God for our needs.

Edited by Fran C