Backslidden vs false convert

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

I once  heard an older Christian say that this is one way to distinguish a backslider from a false convert who returns to their former lifestyle. What do u think?

20190606_161156.jpg

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  268
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  02/25/2004

I heard that back-slidden means that at some point in your past you loved Jesus more than you do right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

The backslider is someone who is going the wrong way, spiritually. The person was never saved to begin with or was ever indwelt with the Holy Spirit. 

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

How do you know that a person didn't genuinely give his / her life to Christ and is only stumbling for a time?  None of us can see into another person's heart and know without a doubt the person was never saved. 

Galatians 6:1 Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted.

James 5: 19 My brothers and sisters, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring that person back,

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  860
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

2 hours ago, appy said:

How do you know that a person didn't genuinely give his / her life to Christ and is only stumbling for a time?  None of us can see into another person's heart and know without a doubt the person was never saved. 

Galatians 6:1 Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted.

James 5: 19 My brothers and sisters, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring that person back,

"How do you know that a person didn't genuinely give his / her life to Christ and is only stumbling for a time? "

James 5:19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

Genuine is answered there in James, they are in error from the truth, their error is death, they are never converted to life, their sins were never hidden, they are the sinner.

As for stumbling, we know directly..

Proverbs 4:19 The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.

Proverbs 3:21 My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion:22 So shall they be life unto thy soul, and grace to thy neck.23 Then shalt thou walk in thy way safely, and thy foot shall not stumble.

1 John 2:He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.11 But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.

John 11:

Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.

10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

good points here :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,448
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, appy said:

I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior at the age of about ten. For brevity I won't give my testimony here, as it is posted on this forum. My time as a back-slider was for decades. It's interesting that backsliding is mentioned 12 times in the Old Testament, but not the New Testament? I assume it still applies to the age of Grace. 

The below verse has special meaning and application to me personally and my life.

Philippians 1:6 (KJV) Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

5 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

It's interesting that backsliding is mentioned 12 times in the Old Testament, but not the New Testament? I assume it still applies to the age of Grace. 

I believe it's an applicable term, for lack of a better one. 

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  860
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

2 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior at the age of about ten. For brevity I won't give my testimony here, as it is posted on this forum. My time as a back-slider was for decades. It's interesting that backsliding is mentioned 12 times in the Old Testament, but not the New Testament? I assume it still applies to the age of Grace. 

The below verse has special meaning and application to me personally and my life.

Philippians 1:6 (KJV) Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Only that it is not the age of grace, God is grace and always gave the same, and also, to the ones who have more grace now, more is required, all things fair and equal in the Lord. As they turned back(backslide) to want to return to Egypt, and as they were destroyed that were once saved, they are the example to these in the new covenant who do the same..

Luke 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

Galatians 4:Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods.But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

Jude 1:For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.

Acts 7:38 This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:39 To whom our fathers would not obey, but thrust him from them, and in their hearts turned back again into Egypt,

Hebrews 6:For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

2 Peter 2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

9 hours ago, appy said:

If a person has genuinely given their heart and life to God and was filled with the Holy Spirit they would not backslide. But they can always ask God into their life again. Maybe the second time they will be sincere.