• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

On 10/1/2019 at 10:56 AM, Jubilea said:

Definitely had to memorize Scripture verses, but I don't remember any Bible stickers *sniff* :(

@Jubilea Aww. Here's a hug, my friend. :emot-hug:

On 10/1/2019 at 10:56 AM, Jubilea said:

Did you do sword drills? I loved sword drills.

I'm not familiar with those. Sounds interesting, though:)Can you explain what they are for me and the others? 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,515
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  11

7 hours ago, turtletwo said:

@Jubilea Aww. Here's a hug, my friend. :emot-hug:

I'm not familiar with those. Sounds interesting, though:)Can you explain what they are for me and the others? 

The title is based on Ephesians 6:17- the sword of the Spirit is the Word of God. The game helped kids become familiar with their Bibles and where all the books were.

The class would stand and position their swords (Bibles) like this- http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZRxOmJQJkMM/SawNVFghU7I/AAAAAAAAAT0/6ybPQFzkmY4/s400/CPBC+168.jpg . (Hope the link works- This picture I found is exactly what we looked like and brings back a lot of memories.)

The teacher (leader) would then call out a Bible verse, and say "Charge!" The first person to find the verse would be the winner. They would read the verse, become the new leader, and call out the next verse. 

I think Sword Drills are still around in places, and there are even regional competitions.

• Loved it! 2

On 10/1/2019 at 2:02 PM, marvelloustime said:

Yes I remember the stickers! We also had to memorise all the books in the bible, in the right order. 

Memories flooding back!

You got stickers, too????? Wow, I really missed out . . . or I may just be a lot older than you and turtletwo. :whistling:

We had to memorize the books of the Bible, too. Don't laugh, but sometimes in bed before I go to sleep, I rehearse them. I also try to remember the names of the tribes of Israel. What I'm horrible at is naming all the disciples. There are a few of them with the same name, and it seems that one or two of them go by different names in different gospels. I can just see myself in heaven reading the foundation stones of the New Jerusalem and going, "Who's that?" :hmmm:

• Haha 2

@Jubilea :)Thanks for the explanation. 

1 hour ago, Jubilea said:

The title is based on Ephesians 6:17- the sword of the Spirit is the Word of God. The game helped kids become familiar with their Bibles and where all the books were.

:thumbsup: Very cool idea. 

(Hope the link works- This picture I found is exactly what we looked like and brings back a lot of memories.)

:)It worked fine. What year (approx) do you think that pic was from?

The teacher (leader) would then call out a Bible verse, and say "Charge!" The first person to find the verse would be the winner. They would read the verse, become the new leader, and call out the next verse. 

:emot-nod:I like it!! Sounds like a fun way to learn scripture. Were you good at it? Or were you shy? (I was, but God always helped me past it.)

I think Sword Drills are still around in places, and there are even regional competitions.

I'll have to research that sometime now that you've peaked my interest. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/1/2019 at 1:02 PM, marvelloustime said:

I can remember all the colouring pencils that would come out and put on each table, and none of them worked properly.

@marvelloustime LOL. They should've went with crayons instead.

Did you enjoy drawing when you were a kid in general, though?

And the church had just opened. They’d just finished building it when we moved there.

We started Sunday School in the basement of an office building. Then they built the church. It was small and simple. I loved it. My whole family went together. 

One thing the believers in our church had in common...nobody had much money. The pastor drove what would've been called an 'old beater' for a car. :)But it got him where he needed to be.

He and his wife were very devoted to visiting shut-ins and those in nursing homes. That made an impact on me as a child.

But even more so, when my mom ended up in long term nursing home care. I have nothing but respect for these ministries to the weak ones.

:)So many are overjoyed to receive company when they are old (Sadly, some folks are forgotten by their families and terribly ill. So they really do appreciate visitors.) 

My mom was confined to a nursing home bed for years.

To have someone care enough to pray for you and read scripture to you is wonderful indeed.

And it is a real opportunity to share the gospel, too. Not everyone can travel overseas and be a missionary that way. But this is a mission field all its own.

Yes I remember the stickers! We also had to memorise all the books in the bible, in the right order. 

Cool! How did you do with the memorization of them?

Do you know them in sequence still today?

Memories flooding back!

Sweet, aren't they? Makes me think of that gospel song, "Precious memories. How they linger." Praise the Lord!

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 2

@marvelloustime @Jubilea

:teeth_smile: A favorite Sunday School memory of mine:

We had special 'programs' that the Sunday School kids had to put on in front of the church (especially for Christmas and Easter.)

We were to recite 'pieces' from memory. We would then say these poems aloud for the congregation to hear. 

As you might guess, I loooved that. lol. I've been drawn to poetry ever since my grade school days. It was a combination of this in church and my mom & grandma reading them to me.

• Loved it! 2
  • Praise God! 1

What year (approx) do you think that pic was from?

I'm not sure, but it reminded me of the early 60's.

Were you good at it? Or were you shy?

I was good it it. I wasn't shy until the year when they didn't have enough kids my age for a separate Sunday School class, and they put me in up the high school class-- where my crush-of-all-crushes was.  GIF-heart-eyes.gif.5e9d2697568aad620af845e8ee18c9d1.gif  I cannot tell you how mortified I was when the teacher called on me to read a verse and he was there. I still, to this day, get really nervous when I have to read aloud in front of a group.

I've been drawn to poetry ever since my grade school days. It was a combination of this in church and my mom & grandma reading them to me.

That is so cool, turtletwo. I always loved poetry, too. My parents gave me a big book of poetry for my 4th birthday, and I still have it. I used to write a lot of poetry, but I just don't have the time for it anymore. I'm a s-l-o-w writer.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  206
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  5,608
  • Content Per Day:  2.84
  • Days Won:  33

Hi @Jubilea

I love that picture! Are you in it? What a great game they played for the children and like you said, you remember all that for the rest of your life.

I think some things roll on from each decade to the next with the type of things they do with children and some things get dropped or changed.

We are all, including our sister@turtletwo, pre-internet and smart phone era, so I can imagine it’s all probably done very differently now to what it was when we were all there. But I am so glad I grew up before all that started.

What a wonderful background story we all have. I love comparing stories.

I can see you reading poems out turtle.

And it sounds like you also had fun Jubilea.

I was one of those strange kids that loved to be on the stage. So I used to love reading the readings out in front of everyone and doing the plays.

When I was 13, I auditioned for a TV talent show and I did impressions. I didn’t get through, but remember doing my act at the church and getting laughs.

I also used to play the organ and would sometimes play a few hymns on there, but being honest, as a teenager I wasn’t really into it.

No please don’t ask me to recite the books of the bible in order now turtle. I will cheat and look them up! Lol. They did use crayons as well, now you mention it. But mostly them coloured pens and pencils.

We also all had energy in them days and running about playing all those games was fun. Would we all like to meet up and try them now?! Haha!

• Loved it! 2

4 hours ago, marvelloustime said:

I love that picture! Are you in it?

No, I'm not in it. I was looking for a picture to show turtletwo what a sword drill looked like.

4 hours ago, marvelloustime said:

We are all, including our sister@turtletwo, pre-internet and smart phone era, so I can imagine it’s all probably done very differently now to what it was when we were all there. But I am so glad I grew up before all that started.

I am also glad I grew up before the cyber era. I even resisted the technology for a while when it first came out.

@marvelloustime, I loved reading about some of your childhood. I can just imagine you on stage doing your readings. I would have enjoyed joining you in the plays- I loved acting, but you would have to handle all the impressions. :)

What fun hearing about your and turtletwo's childhoods! Talking about memories brings more to mind. GIF-heart-little-heart.gif.47a3a1e6d48fd02b0a98e0bbc6b5c907.gif

• Loved it! 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you for this thread TurtleTwo! :27:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2