IGNORED

HOW TO STAY ON COURSENON READING THE BIBLE?

Guest Ynnejoceug

Guest Ynnejoceug

Hi, I just wanna ask my fellow believers, how do you stay on course on reading the Bible everyday? How you make it a habit?

Jen

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1

Paul says to us to pray without ceasing, rejoice always, and to set our minds on heavenly things. There is an ongoing meditation and openness to God whereby our thoughts are expanded onto Him by faith knowing He is right here close by. Always looking for Him and His leading, guidance, and  direction, learning to appreciate the very breaths we take...NOT taking life for granted. Looking for ways to enter into a closer walk...in an ongoing way. Being an explorer, an adventurer for the things of God...and God Himself.

Realize that Christ is in you!

From that mindset....God can speak to us and will give us words. And these will drive us to study the bible. Every day. He is faithful in the details. And that's where we need to seek Him.

Of course we can have a big intervention at times...a touch, a revelation even a miracle.

But it's the details. Always the details. Where does our mind go in the quiet moments. When our heart and mind is staid on the Lord the details take on a new depth so that the words from God become like food to us. We feast on His words. I see that as eating His body. Just as to drink His blood is to partake of His hidden life.

When we consider that there is an entire universe that is beyond our natural senses....a world where God lives..the eternal world of the kingdom of God...how can we wish to live in ignorance of it?

And we have this new life waiting to break forth into the light from within...how can we not nurture that?

Peace

Edited by Pekoudah
  • This is Worthy 2
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9

2 hours ago, Ynnejoceug said:

Hi, I just wanna ask my fellow believers, how do you stay on course on reading the Bible everyday? How you make it a habit?

I topic study, topics affecting my life or topics that Concern me. If get in a disagreement about scripture I will completely study an issue out with out prejudice to let the bible lead me to the conclusion. I do word studies. Look up original words before translation, read every place a word is used in the bible. I do root word study. Like, did you know there are beautiful Hebrew and Greek words with laser percision and they will translate all of these different words to one word they have built a doctrine on? I do character study, Principle study, geography study.  Prophetic study, language study, historical study I will takes scriptures that have fueled opposing doctrines or reforms  and i follow the trail of evidence instead of read the bible to prove what I am told I have to believe.

I think it's the interest, the mystery, the intimacy, curiosity  of letting the Lord lead me through His word that keeps me reading.

I don't have a routine or habit or have set time. I use it like people use Google, or a secretary used to use a thesaurus and dictionary to write. 

When I hear a sermon I check every word said oit, if it's something that stuck in me.

I have bibles and study bibles everywhere. In my office, in every car, in the bathrooms, in my purse, I have one on my phone too

If it was a rule like I have to read 15 minutes every morning I would be bored to death. It would be like some one putting oat meal with no sugar on my plate and forcing me to eat it every single day even if I wasn't hungry.

Edited by Reinitin
I had a Change a be to me.
  • Loved it! 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9

Jen

I forgot.. when friend and loved ones are sick or I'm in a trial. I sing psalms to the Lord. Doing that for decades I know most of them by heart. 

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

Jen

There are a few important aspects to making Bible study and reading a regular part of our lives.

First, figure out what times work most best for you and fit naturally into your day.  Also, figure out a good place you like to be with minimal distractions.  Sitting on a porch in the morning, in bed at night, in a park during the day,  at the breakfast table while sipping coffee.  The important thing is that you have a regular time and place that works well for you.  Be creative.  This could include listening to an audio Bible during a regular commute or reading while on a bus ride.

Second, there are many different ways of reading and studying the Bible.  You need to figure out which is best for you right now.  There's start in Genesis and read some fixed amount per day until you reach Revelation and then repeat.  There's follow a Bible reading plan of some type (which might include some NT and OT readings each day).   There's read a set number of pages or chapters per day.  There's pick a particular book in the Bible and slowly read it and meditate on it each day.  There's more in-depth study where you might read the same passages in a few different translations and read some reference books (e.g. bible dictionaries, atlases) along with it.  There's a more meditative devotional type of reading where it's tied closely to prayer and meditation about things and you might end up sitting on one verse or passage for a day or more.

I've known some Christians who have been doing the same routine for 20 years and it works well for them.  Speaking for myself, I run through definite seasons in my life (usually 4 to 6 months in length) where one thing is fruitful for a length of time and then dries up.  I used to beat myself up over not sticking with things.  Then I eventually figured out God just wired me in a way where I need to move to different things periodically.  Now when something dries up, instead of laboring to keep it going, I look for the next thing I should be doing.

The biggest question is what would be most fruitful for you right now and best fit into your natural rhythm of life?   When our devotions are fruitful and fit our natural rhythms and temperament, they become a more regular and integral part of our lives.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about this.  :) 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  0

I pray & read the Bible & seek the Lord & what he wants to say through his word :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,298
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

On 6/8/2019 at 12:41 PM, Ynnejoceug said:

Jen

By making time, at the same time of day when the priority is to read the Bible and pray.

Set a time when you know you will have time to yourself.

If a morning person just after you've got up, if an evening person, at a time you know you can keep every evening.

Don't be over ambitious just use a daily Bible reading notes untill the habit is established and then think about reading more.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,531
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 6/8/2019 at 7:41 AM, Ynnejoceug said:

Jen

I don't sleep ( Well, mostly I don't ).

I think ( hear) the word of the Bible as to be applied to what I am doing or am about to do. Passages come to mind as principles and precepts and I research them to confirm; usually using an old KJV Criswell Study Bible and online with Bible Gateway ESV. Then, I  Listen to a few hymns/ tunes  of praise, read about them, plus  I scan WCF for ideas from others.

I also will review the week's sermons from a couple of churches. That usually sends me down a rabbit trail of interest that I may use, apply, to my life's situations. Today it has been around Judges, fleshing out who and what the judges were, reading Judges three and then on to the account in Judges six and seven of Gideon and God's assurance to those He selects.

I also try to read whole books, rather than verses and passages, for pleasure reading! - by skipping all the notations that interrupt God's word under the guise of being study aids. I just read the words as I would read a book, a magazine, or even an old paper newspaper,- simply for pleasure.

Then later maybe months or years later I will be in a situation and those areas read for pleasure will be brought to my mind, I think by the Holy Spirit, and I will research them, verify and try to find correlation within the Bible, then act according  to the way I am then led by  the process and by th eHoly Spirit confirming  or refuting my understanding.

That's what I do- "My Summer Paper" by Neighbor - Sorry, I just couldn't be stopped, it just felt like I had been transported back to junior high school  fall English class like they were over half a century ago - must do 500 word report on...  ... due tomorrow.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

I normally just sit down and read until my eyes get tired/heavy. It happens easily with the Bible; I can read other things without an issue, but for some reason, the Bible fatigues me - Not to imply that it is boring, of course. If my eyes do get tired, I just close them for a few minutes before continuing. I try to read at least 5 chapters each day (depending on the chapter lengths) maybe reading up to what looks like a good stopping point or when it comes to books like Psalms, I typically had a "10 psalms a day" rule.

It's like a regular exercise routine. It sounds tough at first, and maybe it will be, but once you get the hang of it, you don't like to go without. It makes you feel good. If you can't squeeze a bit of time in each day, just set aside time when it's available - I suppose it's not quite necessary that someone reads it every day after all.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 6/8/2019 at 4:41 AM, Ynnejoceug said:

Jen

I would take a different approach. Take time to read the Bible cover to cover.