Marriage advice requested.

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

My husband and I believe in biblical marital submission. However, my husband is having a mid life crisis. Not only does he want to skydive, but he wants me to go with him despite my fear of heights. Am I supposed to submit even though my fear of heights could increase the risks?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

1Pe 3:7 ESV  Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

Your husband should be considerate of you as the weaker vessel and be protective.  Torturing you over your phobia of heights is not doing his part of your relationship.  If he insists on doing it, just be sure his life insurance is in effect under those circumstances.  He should not include you or his prayers won't be effective.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

2 hours ago, gracefilled85 said:

My husband and I believe in biblical marital submission. However, my husband is having a mid life crisis. Not only does he want to skydive, but he wants me to go with him despite my fear of heights. Am I supposed to submit even though my fear of heights could increase the risks?

Hi, Grace. Because this is your first post, welcome to Worthy. I'm rather shocked at your husband's lack of libido could justify tormenting an already well known anxiety in you. It sounds pretty brutal to me. Does he in his mind even think this could cure agoraphobia? This goes way beyond reasonable expectations of spousal submission on a biblical principle. I'm praying for you. God bless.

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, gracefilled85 said:

No, your husband is suppose to love you like Christ loved the Church. That means having respect and being sensitive to your desires. If you are afraid of heights he needs to respect and understand it. Don't let him be a bully.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,299
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

13 hours ago, gracefilled85 said:

May I suggest that you explain that you are ready to support him in this undertaking, but that you are not prepared to do the jump, as the others have already explained.

Also challenge him as to what charity he is going to donate the money gained from seeking sponsorship at work, church and from friends.

Let him earn matcho points skydiving and pharasis points gaining $k sponsoring a charity.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,089
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I agree with the others that he, out of love, should not ask you to do something like that.

If he does go without you make sure his life insurance is paid up.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

20 hours ago, gracefilled85 said:

NO! No where in Scripture does it say a wife must do anything and everything her husband askes her to do that she is frightened to do, especially sky diving!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,200
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

23 hours ago, gracefilled85 said:

Hi gracefilled,

Welcome to the Worthy family. Now the Lord is the Lord of our lives and to whom we are all to be in submission. In relation to your husband, it does not mean placing him above the Lord. The Lord is always first in our lives. Then in a marriage situation the woman is to `submit` by listening to her husband, and not arguing. The woman needs to present her concerns respectfully as the husband is not all knowing and therefore cannot know from the wife`s side everything she thinks or feels.

Thus the `submit` to the husband is an attitude of respect but not a servant, as that would give the husband control over the wife, which is not scriptural.

regards, Marilyn. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  860
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

"But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.  And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him"

Remember Solomon answered a difficult question, when two women were fighting over whose was the child. The answer sparked compassion in the real mother, and it showed who should have the child.

Then thinking the same way, and as you presented the situation of yourself and the husband in a Christian marriage, instead of the advice others say, when they tell the rules and how the man has no right to ask such and such, maybe the better approach is for his own compassion and love towards you, such as in the case of Jesus walking on the water, and Peter asked if it was Him, could he join Him on the water, but peter began to be afraid, like you have described yourself afraid of the heights, and Peter began to sink. Maybe then, you could how your husband this situation, and although like Peter you want to go with him and to him like Peter wanted to be with the Lord, you would be afraid too, to do like Jesus did, and he might have respect to you like Jesus did to catch his hand and hold him up, and your husband might let you go only as fr as you are able too, such as go with him as far s you can supporting him believing in him and trusting him, and let see if he will show this understanding that our Lord has, in him too.

Matthew 14:23 And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.24 But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary.25 And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea.26 And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.27 But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.28 And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?32 And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased.

I forgot to add, for all the people who say no, this is not Christ. There is no yea yea, and nay nay,  for Jesus Christ is not yea and nay, but in Him was yea, and all the promises in Him are yea and in Him Amen, unto the glory of God..

2 Corinthians 1:17 When I therefore was thus minded, did I use lightness? or the things that I purpose, do I purpose according to the flesh, that with me there should be yea yea, and nay nay?18 But as God is true, our word toward you was not yea and nay.19 For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by us, even by me and Silvanus and Timotheus, was not yea and nay, but in him was yea.20 For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.

Edited by gordon7777
In Him Yea

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

On 6/10/2019 at 7:46 PM, gracefilled85 said:

Mostly because of all the other replies at this time,   I think it would be wonderful for you to willingly go skydiving even if you do so alone without telling your husband (but don't lie to him) !    Your fear of heights most likely DECREASE the risks, not increase.(And you might find that it is safer than other things you do. )

Since (now noticing) you stated you both believe in biblical marital submission,  there's really no question, is there ? (or is the op "bait" and not real?)

Also, realize, as you both pray,  God can easily shut the door to skydiving,   without even blinking an eye - so easy for God to do.......   so trust God, rely on God,  and have peace of Christ and the joy of salvation with your husband together in Christ Jesus our Lord (know what LORD means?) and Savior ....