Sign in to follow this  
David95

Howdy

Hi all, my name is David.

I want to be upfront and say that I am not a believer. I am here because I find the big questions interesting and I like to debate and talk about them, and I saw that this place has an apologetics section so I figure why not give it a shot. I read the terms of service and didn't see anything preventing nonbelievers from participating so long as they are respectful. I like to think that I am respectful while stating my position and thoughts, so here I am.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

Welcome to worthy David. Thanks for having the integrity to state where you are coming from right off the bat. I also like debate, but I would like to suggest to you, that when a person's only interest in debate, is to prove a point and "win", then it becomes an exercise of entertaining ourselves, at the expense of others. That has it's rewards, but it is more of a "feel good" thing, when it can be so much more.

In my philosophy, the real value in debate, is to discover what I can learn from others. So many are not interested in learning, and they close themselves off. Good for the ego, maybe, but self improvement is better. A person who never says " you make a great point" with sincerity, may win an argument, but does not come away better for having the debate.

I hope your time here proves fruitful!

• Loved it! 2

Posted (edited)

Hi Omega! I agree that debate for the purpose of debate and propping up your own ego is a hollow victory. I am certainly not perfect in this regard, and I admit that at times I value "winning" more than "self-improvement" and having the courage to be humble enough to admit that the other person made a good point that I can't refute, but I do consider this a vice and not a virtue. The purpose of debate should be to put your ideas through a crucible so that your flaws may be revealed and your understanding revised based on the best evidence/logic/reason you are aware of.

Thanks for the welcome, Godismyloveforever!

Edited by David95
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, David95 said:

I want to be upfront and say that I am not a believer. I am here because I find the big questions interesting and I like to debate and talk about them, and I saw that this place has an apologetics section so I figure why not give it a shot. I read the terms of service and didn't see anything preventing nonbelievers from participating so long as they are respectful. I like to think that I am respectful while stating my position and thoughts, so here I am.

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum!

It's good to have an non-believer join us who says up front that they will be respectful.  I appreciate the sentiment and look forward to reading your thoughts.  There are indeed answers out there so I respect you for seeking them out proactively.

I hope you enjoy it in here.

Peace

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

You are welcome here, David.  

Hi there to you too David, and welcome, may you find that for which I believe you are seeking, because I think you have a need to extend your thought processes, to find the relevancy for the answers you're looking for, God bless you in your quest.

Hi David nice to have you join us...

Welcome to Worthy!

I'm sure you will be blessed 😊

Hi and welcome, David!