thomas t

Richard Dawkin's Arguments to Dismiss Christian Faith

I have watched hours of his discussion and most of his answers are not generic by any means.  Ravi gets very specific.  Unless you take a good look at the discussions, you will not see how specific he gets.  Saying that, if someone's mind is made up, no matter how specific you get, they will not change.  On the other hand, scripture doesn't answer all the questions people come up with. 

2 hours ago, OneLight said:

I have watched hours of his discussion and most of his answers are not generic by any means.  Ravi gets very specific.  Unless you take a good look at the discussions, you will not see how specific he gets.  Saying that, if someone's mind is made up, no matter how specific you get, they will not change.  On the other hand, scripture doesn't answer all the questions people come up with.

oh I meant the specific objections atheists/ doubters have when talking with Christianity. I didn't see this on his page.

Ravi is more for Christians who struggle in their faith I think.

Or he's for people who have trouble in their lives and seek. For those who don't have any objections against Christianity to start with.

Some atheists, in contrast, often have very distinct opinions concerning one particular story or two (or even more). Sometimes it's just because they misundood something.

Moreover, I don't have unlimited time resources. Even if Ravi answers a particular doubt popular with atheists somewhere deep inside his videos - he would have done a great job. But I can't see through all these pages.

2 hours ago, OneLight said:

Saying that, if someone's mind is made up, no matter how specific you get, they will not change.

From the outside, it's hard to tell how much someone's mind is made up or not.

Thomas

1 hour ago, thomas t said:

oh I meant the specific objections atheists/ doubters have when talking with Christianity. I didn't see this on his page.

Ravi is more for Christians who struggle in their faith I think.

Or he's for people who have trouble in their lives and seek. For those who don't have any objections against Christianity to start with.

Some atheists, in contrast, often have very distinct opinions concerning one particular story or two (or even more). Sometimes it's just because they misundood something.

Moreover, I don't have unlimited time resources. Even if Ravi answers a particular doubt popular with atheists somewhere deep inside his videos - he would have done a great job. But I can't see through all these pages.

From the outside, it's hard to tell how much someone's mind is made up or not.

Thomas

No, he is a well know apologist and usually deals with unbelievers.  To save you some time, check out his videos on YouTube.  Just type in Ravi Zacharias International Ministries.  Look through his playlist.

Hi Alan,

19 hours ago, OneLight said:

No, he is a well know apologist and usually deals with unbelievers.  To save you some time, check out his videos on YouTube.  Just type in Ravi Zacharias International Ministries.  Look through his playlist.

Absolutely, his videos on Youtube are apologetics, as I know it. Thank you for the link.

Well, but Dawkins is the most popular atheist writer in the world... so it makes sense to dedicate a thread to his arguments.

(5) Attacking the Midianites. (minute 1:13:00 of this video)

According to Dawkins, Moses ordering the attack of the Midianites was like Hitler attacking Poland.

What he doesn't see is the Midianite leadership being ready to help Balak attack the Israelites in Numbers 22:7. This took place before Moses ordered the attack.

Poland, in contrast, wasn't ready for attack.

So you can't compare these two.

Regards,

Thomas

Hi everyone,

noone protesting today? That's great, let's move on to argument No.6.

The forgiveness of sins, central for Christian faith.

Dawkins says in his Youtube video (it is still the one as cited in the op, from March 27th), Jesus died because of the original sin (minute 1:15:05) and says it was sadistic by God to let Jesus die.

Actually, the Biblical message is different from what Dawkins painted it to be. Jesus didn't just die for 1 original sin, but for our sins (!) - plural form. The ones we committed. (Dawkins later adds that he died also for the sins we didn't commit, that's a bit weird... this stance cannot be found in the Bible). Since Dawkins' interpretation of what Jesus died for was wrong, in my opinion, the purported "sadism" is false, I think.

Dawkins further asks, if God wanted to forgive "why not just forgive them".

A sincere question.

Atheists never say "thank you" in a prayer to God for lack of belief in him. No matter how great a day was - bright sunshine, friends, a drink - they never give anything back?

This being said.... whenever people, including Christians, do something wrong.... and God has to work in order to get everything fixed again (as in Isaiah 43:24) - atheists don't apologize.

On condition that God's love is always there... Dawkins asking "why not forgive them" sounds like "whenever we do something wrong, God must get over it or we call him sadistic!" - that's blackmailing God (on condition that he's there, which is my belief!)

Regards,

Thomas

Hi,

just for you to know which video it is, look here.

In general, Dawkins argues that Christians don't think enough.

In minute 10:48, Dawins says faith demands "a suspension of critical faculties". (argument No. 7)

Somewhere in minute 26 Dawkins goes on asking a pastor: " why do [the congregation] have to think when you tell them everything in the book is true? "

The pastor was right in telling him they don't have to believe.

The only thing people have to do in order for them to get saved... is believe that Jesus still lives and proclaim" Jesus is Lord". Then you're saved according to Romans 10:10.

If you want to believe the rest of the Bible as well... use your mind! Think it through!

For me, Christian faith makes perfect sense. Everything fits together. If Dawkins' worldview also makes sense....... everyone needs to decide.

Christians, in my view, suggest you use everything you have to make up your mind: your heart, your reason and your soul. Dawkins as I see it says use your reason.

If there's a God - the option that Dawkins says cannot be disproven by science - then trusting 100% in reason to find God (if he's there) makes sense if he wants to be discovered this way. And miracles can be detected if he wants them to be detected by science.

If God chooses to be discovered by people using reason AND their hearts AND their minds AND their soul... then those who solely trust in reason won't succeed in discovering all truth in its entirety.

Regards,

Thomas

EDIT: just for clarification... argument No. 2 was about relying on evidence, this one is about reason. These two arguments are somewhat near to each other.

Edited by thomas t
see Edit