Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Trap, neuter, release has had great success....after all the strays I fed were neutered on my street, their population dwindled and eventually I had no more cats to feed outside.

Also, the cats keep rats and mice away.   I understand the rodents can smell the cats and avoid an area with cats.

I don't know about other cities but here the animal shelters spay and neuter all pets adopted out.   They neuter them even at a young age to prevent irresponsible people letting pets breed. 

https://www.alleycat.org/our-work/trap-neuter-return/

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

On 6/13/2019 at 11:14 AM, shortangel said:

we had a stray cat show up in our yard a couple of years ago at the house we have kept him as a pet his name is Sam

Out of the thousands of names you could have chosen, you chose that one name that encompasses every thing that is positive  about males.......strong........wise.......great looking.....talented......and most of all, humble.

BB ( Sam ) 1953

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/13/2019 at 11:14 AM, shortangel said:

we had a stray cat show up in our yard a couple of years ago at the house we have kept him as a pet his name is Sam

Out of the thousands of names you could have chosen, you chose that one name that encompasses every thing that is positive  about males.......strong........wise.......great looking.....talented......and most of all, humble.

BB ( Sam ) 1953

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

BB ( Sam ) 1953

Love it!   You do keep these topics interesting!

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Deb.......We have Two dogs and two cats....all,of them rescued by my daughter— she is an animal nut!

She is a dog groomer ....she is always called the “ dog- whisperer”, as she trims the dogs that nobody else can go near —it’s quite a gift

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Thanks, Deb.......We have Two dogs and two cats....all,of them rescued by my daughter— she is an animal nut!

She is a dog groomer ....she is always called the “ dog- whisperer”, as she trims the dogs that nobody else can go near —it’s quite a gift

That's really great about your daughter and your pets!   Years ago I had a Shih Tsu.   Then this dog person started to feed the stray cats on my street so that's how I got to know cats!    I always thought they were independent before....but cats will follow you and come when called, too.   

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

On 6/13/2019 at 6:25 AM, Debp said:

Happened to see that one of our dear members has been feeding some stray cats.   Perhaps some would like to share their experiences?    Currently I'm not feeding any but some years ago I did for some time. 

Someone from my building had moved and put their cat on the street!   She had kittens.   I ended up feeding 12 cats each night.   I did get them spayed and neutered with the help of a rescue group.   That helped immensely as through the years some passed on and a few were even adopted.   (All of my cats through the years were adopted from my street.   One was adopted when his owner, a neighbor, died.)

Spay, neuter, release is being recognized by many cities now as the best way to control feral cats.   Action Cat Allies can often refer you to animal rescue groups in your area.

We have had outside cats that we cared for and fed outside...   A lot of the neighborhood cats would come visit and stay for dinner so to speak.    We have, for years, fed our cats Purina Cat Chow...    One year I started out the back door and looked down and there at Suki's dish was the prettiest skunk I had ever seen.   Just stood there looking at me to see what I was going to do. I just slowly closed the storm door and watch her eat for a bit and then scamper off...…     we fed her and several batches of little ones over a couple of years.   I think the dad would come and eat at night...

She never sprayed around our house so we never had to suffer the smell.  I would have loved to be able to pet her and feel how soft her fur was.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, Sonshine☀️ said:

He’s an inside/outside cat who comes when called and likes to go for short walks with me and my dog.  People get a kick out of the way he walks right by my side or follows closely with his tail straight up in the air. 

Almost hate to go off-topic, as many feral cats have also adopted me in the past. But the story above brought some memories to me, so hopefully this is okay to share. I had a Russian Blue, all sleek and pretty with almost pumpkin colored eyes. She was so spunky and spritely, and loved to get into wrestling matches with my hulky sable black Manx, Moses. Anyway, when I took strolls around the neighborhood, Naomi would scamper right after me. And of course the folks in the area would stare. I could imagine them saying, "He takes his cat for a walk?" 

• Loved it! 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Sonshine☀️ said:

Awww… nice, other one… ….We feral/stray cat feeders are blessed with little bonuses at times.  We had a raccoon that thought he was a kittycat and ate his breakfast right alongside the other cats, except, of course, the coon ate his Purina Cat Chow a bit more daintily, using his little hands to pick up his kibble.  

I know some Sisters that feed stray cats at their house.   Usually one Sister stands around while the cats eat as they also have raccoons.   However, since one cat is usually late, she was hiding a food dish for it on top of the outside washing machine.    Well, those raccoons found the dish anyhow!

Apparently the raccoons make a little ruckus in the wee hours, too.

• Haha 2

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

I've had 3 kinds of cats over the years:

1. Barn cats - one or two would usually "adopt" us and be friendly but lived in my uncle's barn for rodent control. 

2. Shop cats - cats that wandered into the shop I worked at on their own and decided to stay.

3. Vehicle cats - usually kittens found in engine compartments or in other difficult to get them out of locations on a vehicle. There were 3 of these I wound up keeping at different times.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1