Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

One day in 1965 hubby came home mid day with the tiniest of kittens riding on his shoulder.  She had been weened too early and was dodging tires in the parking lot of hubby's place of business.  He brought this scraggly stray home.  We had a 6 month old tom cat named Spooky and a neighbor had a mama cat named Stinky.  Between the two of them they taught Angel how to wash herself.  She remained a thief, was not easily trained to stay off our counters, and never weighed over 7 pounds.  The neighbor's manx became the papa of her 4 kittens which she dutifully fed grasshoppers.  She would trim off the legs which she left on the floor of the spare bedroom.  We found a home for all kittens.  One was so loving he would follow me around the house meowing till I sat down so he could occupy my lap and rub on me while purring.  He went to a home of 3 grade school girls on a farm.  They would dress him up in doll clothes and put him in a buggy and he love it!!!

• Loved it! 3

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

8 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

It seems no matter where I go, they find me. There was this residence that I lived for over ten years, on the out-skirts of the city. It was in a cul de sac, and a main road running on the entrance of it. On this particular route, people had and still do have this awful tendency to dump their unwanted puppies and kittens haphazardly onto the side. Among some were already pregnant. 

For so many, it was not a happy ending. The puppies ended up with some of the neighbors, and the kittens came to me. I had one black and white stray Manx, a girl, when I moved there, and what was noticed, was a small colony of black half Persians, living in a bush in the middle of the block. They basically dispersed, one male was adopted a street over, and one female came strolling into my back yard one day. So, I took her in. 

And more came. I would feed the strays in the back, and if they could be domesticated, I'd take them in also. Of course, the responsible thing was to spay the females, and neuter the males. They all got their annual shots, and flea treatments. Fortunately, we had an old timey veterinarian, and his costs were the lowest in the county. I could afford them what was needed, thank God. 

At the peak of my loving brood, I had a dozen domesticated, and about half dozen strays. The weather extremes are harsh in central California, so I constructed a fairly large Igloo brand dog house under the sheltered porch of the patio. A nice cozy quilt was placed to give extra comfort. All had such neat personalities, and I can't recall one that couldn't be petted. Maybe giving them names, and talking to each of them, had some way of making them feel loved and welcome. And so they were.   

So kind of you to help them and go the extra mile to keep them warm!   Half Persians must have been beautiful.

Yes, if more people would spay and neuter, it would help the overpopulation so much.   Then if people wanted kittens or cats, they could adopt from an animal shelter or rescue group.

I don't know how my current cat ever ended up on my street.   She is a beautiful, black and white long hair.   She looks like an expensive cat.   I adopted her in 2010.   Yolanda who helped me years ago to get the strays spayed and neutered....she also got Miss Kitty spayed for me.

L.A. has alot of free spaying and neutering offered year round.   Sam Simon Foundation even has a mobile facility that visits various neighborhoods regularly.   Then there is also FixNation near the Burbank Airport.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

I don't like cats. I would have said I hate cats, but that isn't nice.

Nonetheless I have a cat chomping onsome kibble in the house right now. It was and is a feral cat, the second one that has adopted me. The first was nearly twenty years or so ago, seemed like an old cat and it had curled up on my front porch  during a freezing cold spell.

So mistake one was I put out a blanket a box and some warm water. Next thing I knew I had a headless fruit rat offering on my front doormat. Lucky me, but hey one less fruit rat.  And the cat who kept it's distance dug a little hole on my lawn did it's thing and covered it up. Okay- well so that's what has been messing up my blades o grass eh. Fair enough dead rats for latrine privileges.

And it got colder and my spouse said do we had a box?  So I went one better I put in an electric circuit, made a covered box cave with an electric heating pad, put it on low and added layers of blanket and put it all on an on off switch just inside our front door.

That cat gave me more headless rat sacrifices over the some 14 to 16 years it was with us. I had thought it an old cat when it first showed up. One day a neighbor said I saw your cat it had died. I said oh thanks, but it is not my cat. But I think I buried it with my other pets, dogs and rabbits, not sure don't remember.

And now my second wife, she came with a feral cat from the wilds of Texas. It (The cat)  got confused here in the city, very scared, hiding from city dogs, and so she has become a house cat that totally freaks out screaming mean when she sees another cat go by in the yard. Darn near gives me a heart attack when she screams.Little thing sounds like death itself coming.  But, she loves my bride and has now taken to me. Me, I still do not like cats, but have one on my lap most mornings and evenings and I take Zertec so I can breath.

The cat loves to have me brush on her chin, saves her the trouble of marking me as hers I guess. Wonder how old she is? She will probably outlast me.

• Haha 2

Oh btw  a true tale that I have shared here about cats before but will add to the mix of cat talk on this thread; that second cat Cookie  my wife's Texas feral cat first stayed in our fenced city yard for a few days, then ventured over the fence and disappeared. My wife was upset, spent time calling for Cookie, then had to go get her prescriptions. So I watched for the cat, and sure enough there it was in the back yard. I opened the door called "Cookie" and ot my surprise it came right in. I cell phoned wife to tell her the good news, all proud of myself. She came home looked at Cookie, looked at me with a odd expression, and said "That's not Cookie that tom cat is twice as big and not even the same colors".

Well Cookie stayed lost for a night plus. And wife was upset that Cookie would not know about cars and dogs. We called. "Cookie, Cookie!". I felt like an idiot outside "Cookie Cookie", what kind of man yells Cookie Cookie in a sweet voice? Auugh!

On the second night of my walking around calling "Cookie!" I thought I heard a meow. I thought it was right next door. My wife who speaks Spanish went next door but the people would not answer the door.  So I dug holes under the fences and put lit flash lights in the holes I dug, so they would be lit up and an attraction in the night; much like  Kleg lights at a grand opening or a movie premier.

It only took minutes of nightfall for the cat to come running through a lit up hole to the back door. She had been pinned evidently behind the neighbor's bushes away from their dogs. Cookie has been a house cat ever since. She doesn't want out except to challenge other cats that wander onto the property, Then she goes absolutely berserk with fighting anger.  -Cats, who needs em? They should be wild creatures eating mice in the woods barns and fields, not in the house with a poop box.

Gawd a poopbox, in the house! No no no why me why me? Okay Cookie, tap tap, you can sit on my lap, but only after I put a lap blanket over me. Dang claws ow. Stop that cat kneading.

God's creatures big and small and the man was to name and claim and be responsible over them? How about just beagles? Beagles are fun.

• Haha 2

On 6/18/2019 at 3:42 AM, Neighbor said:

I don't like cats. I would have said I hate cats, but that isn't nice.

Nonetheless I have a cat chomping onsome kibble in the house right now. It was and is a feral cat, the second one that has adopted me. The first was nearly twenty years or so ago, seemed like an old cat and it had curled up on my front porch  during a freezing cold spell.

So mistake one was I put out a blanket a box and some warm water. Next thing I knew I had a headless fruit rat offering on my front doormat. Lucky me, but hey one less fruit rat.  And the cat who kept it's distance dug a little hole on my lawn did it's thing and covered it up. Okay- well so that's what has been messing up my blades o grass eh. Fair enough dead rats for latrine privileges.

And it got colder and my spouse said do we had a box?  So I went one better I put in an electric circuit, made a covered box cave with an electric heating pad, put it on low and added layers of blanket and put it all on an on off switch just inside our front door.

That cat gave me more headless rat sacrifices over the some 14 to 16 years it was with us. I had thought it an old cat when it first showed up. One day a neighbor said I saw your cat it had died. I said oh thanks, but it is not my cat. But I think I buried it with my other pets, dogs and rabbits, not sure don't remember.

And now my second wife, she came with a feral cat from the wilds of Texas. It (The cat)  got confused here in the city, very scared, hiding from city dogs, and so she has become a house cat that totally freaks out screaming mean when she sees another cat go by in the yard. Darn near gives me a heart attack when she screams.Little thing sounds like death itself coming.  But, she loves my bride and has now taken to me. Me, I still do not like cats, but have one on my lap most mornings and evenings and I take Zertec so I can breath.

The cat loves to have me brush on her chin, saves her the trouble of marking me as hers I guess. Wonder how old she is? She will probably outlast me.

On 6/18/2019 at 5:27 AM, Neighbor said:

Oh btw  a true tale that I have shared here about cats before but will add to the mix of cat talk on this thread; that second cat Cookie  my wife's Texas feral cat first stayed in our fenced city yard for a few days, then ventured over the fence and disappeared. My wife was upset, spent time calling for Cookie, then had to go get her prescriptions. So I watched for the cat, and sure enough there it was in the back yard. I opened the door called "Cookie" and ot my surprise it came right in. I cell phoned wife to tell her the good news, all proud of myself. She came home looked at Cookie, looked at me with a odd expression, and said "That's not Cookie that tom cat is twice as big and not even the same colors".

Well Cookie stayed lost for a night plus. And wife was upset that Cookie would not know about cars and dogs. We called. "Cookie, Cookie!". I felt like an idiot outside "Cookie Cookie", what kind of man yells Cookie Cookie in a sweet voice? Auugh!

On the second night of my walking around calling "Cookie!" I thought I heard a meow. I thought it was right next door. My wife who speaks Spanish went next door but the people would not answer the door.  So I dug holes under the fences and put lit flash lights in the holes I dug, so they would be lit up and an attraction in the night; much like  Kleg lights at a grand opening or a movie premier.

It only took minutes of nightfall for the cat to come running through a lit up hole to the back door. She had been pinned evidently behind the neighbor's bushes away from their dogs. Cookie has been a house cat ever since. She doesn't want out except to challenge other cats that wander onto the property, Then she goes absolutely berserk with fighting anger.  -Cats, who needs em? They should be wild creatures eating mice in the woods barns and fields, not in the house with a poop box.

Gawd a poopbox, in the house! No no no why me why me? Okay Cookie, tap tap, you can sit on my lap, but only after I put a lap blanket over me. Dang claws ow. Stop that cat kneading.

God's creatures big and small and the man was to name and claim and be responsible over them? How about just beagles? Beagles are fun.

Don't know how I missed your hilarious cat stories, Neighbor!   Must have been a glitch....luckily I went looking for my topic and found them now!   Really enjoy your funny, descriptive way of explaining things.... especially about cats!

• Thanks 1

I was just thinking of one of my rescued kitties (now in kitty heaven)....she used to come running like crazy whenever I blew into a harmonica!   She loved it....none of my other cats ever reacted like that to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Debp said:

hilarious cat stories

Thanks Debp. Life is funny in a ironic and  Shakespearean comedy manner. Might as well laugh as the things happen along the way.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Thanks Debp. Life is funny in a ironic and  Shakespearean comedy manner. Might as well laugh as the things happen along the way.

True, true...I always try to see the humor in things.   One can't always be too serious....life can sometimes be hard enough.   That's why I sometimes like to post lighter or funny topics.   I have alot in the Wierd and Wacky News section here, you might get a laugh from some topics!   Some of them are animal related.    I also have some brief animal videos in the general video section.

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/forum/82-weird-and-wacky-news/

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

Maybe we should have a thread on funny personal animal stories. 

• Thumbs Up 1