• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

3 hours ago, Abby-Joy said:

Thank you @turtletwo. High fever (103.1) since last night, bladder infection, hiatal hernia, dehydration, on and on.... haven't been taking good care of myself...high stress, etc. 

@Abby-Joy Wow! You're sure going through a lot.:( I'm so sorry. Thanks for filling me in so I know what to pray for. That's a dangerous temp! I'm concerned about you.  

• Thanks 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,265
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

7 hours ago, ayin jade said:

When I was a teen, our cat brought home a baby ground squirrel 

https://media.azpm.org/master/image/2017/4/14/hero/5759grsqrl-momkid.jpg

They are cute little things. He used to sit on my hand and wag his tail lol. 

Oh, that's a different variety of squirrel.

We have a couple of commercials on TV warning against getting too near outside electrical wires with tools, and releasing metallic balloons.   The stars of the commercials are two squirrels!   They look so cute and flick their tails....they also talk!   But look so lifelike....of course, must be computer generated.   Lots of our commercials have animals in them, and some have humor.

6 hours ago, PromisesPromises! said:

The most interesting thing was the sweet bond between you.  As I recall, Oliver was a loner.  He stayed right in that one tree beside the gym track, and there were no other squirrels anywhere around that I ever saw.  Oliver was a smart squirrel.  He knew exactly what time to expect you each day.  You would kneel nearby and watch him eat his seeds or pecans. He looked so cute holding each one in his little "hands" as he munched! He kept his eyes on you, but was not the least bit afraid.   I hope God sees us that way, with our eyes always on Him, the Provider of all our "food."  

Such a sweet story!

Not sure if many saw my topic on stray cats around the world.   There are photos....

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,793
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

1 hour ago, Debp said:

Oh, that's a different variety of squirrel.

We have a couple of commercials on TV warning against getting too near outside electrical wires with tools, and releasing metallic balloons.   The stars of the commercials are two squirrels!   They look so cute and flick their tails....they also talk!   But look so lifelike....of course, must be computer generated.   Lots of our commercials have animals in them, and some have humor.

Such a sweet story!

Quite different than the squirrels you are familiar with. These are like little prairie dogs, living in underground dens, in groups. They stand watch and alert other ground squirrels to danger, like prairie dogs.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Abby-Joy said:

Just so people won't be wondering... I was in the ER till about midnight after they pumped me with hydration and antibiotics, gave me something to take my fever down, etc.  I had a bladder infection that moved to the kidneys.  My labs looked good otherwise, they said. 

Since being home, I've had low grade fever (all day yesterday) between 100.9 and 101.9  ... then finally dropped to more normal range.  It actually went a bit low ... 98.1   I just feel a bit weak and have had a bad headache since beginning the antibiotics.  Man, I just want to be able to take care of my son.... 

Glad you went to er. It is easily treated and you should be ok now. They told you to drink plenty of fluids I hope. That can help prevent bladder infections in the future too. Cranberry juice (or pills) have been shown to prevent bladder infections. (Prevents bacteria from adhering to the walls of the bladder.)

Most folks do not realize this, but bladder infections that move to the kidneys can and often go septic. Meaning the infection moves into the blood  stream. That can kill a person.  It killed one of the recent popes. 

• Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

7 minutes ago, Abby-Joy said:

This is our mama kitty nursing her 3 plus the one new kitten we brought home.  It's kinda hard to tell them apart in the photo, lol ... they're all the same colors.  There are 2 black and white, and 2 solid black.  The one that is kinda bigger, near mama's front leg is the new one.  You can kinda tell a bit of fur is missing.  

IMG_20190617_165249.jpg.4dc8a47fa0b490526d94048b0bcb37e2.jpg

Aww... That is precious! When I had what was a feline sanctuary, there were also a number of black and white ones. Every one had given names, for tracking purposes. A few did come and go over the years, not taking permanent residence. Glad you're on the mend, Abby... I didn't feel to intrude on the convo going on in the thread for some reason. God bless you, sister. 

• Loved it! 1

4 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Aww... That is precious! When I had what was a feline sanctuary, there were also a number of black and white ones. Every one had given names, for tracking purposes. A few did come and go over the years, not taking permanent residence. Glad you're on the mend, Abby... I didn't feel to intrude on the convo going on in the thread for some reason. God bless you, sister. 

Maybe you can share about when you had the cat sanctuary?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

Feral cats threaten the survival of over 100 native species in Australia. They have caused the extinction of some ground-dwelling birds and small to medium-sized mammals. They are a major cause of decline for many land-based endangered animals such as the bilby, bandicoot, bettong and numbat. Many native animals are struggling to survive so reducing the number killed by this introduced predator will allow their populations to grow.

Feral cats can carry infectious diseases which can be transmitted to native animals, domestic livestock and humans.

Feral cats are the same species as domestic cats, however they live and reproduce in the wild and survive by hunting or scavenging. They are found all over Australia in all habitats, including forests, woodlands, grasslands, wetlands and arid areas.

Feral cats are predominantly solitary and nocturnal, spending most of the day in the safety of a shelter such as a rabbit burrow, log or rock pile. They are carnivores, generally eating small mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and insects depending on their availability.

https://environment.gov.au/biodiversity/invasive-species/feral-animals-australia/feral-cats

Z 813..jpg

• This is Worthy 2
  • Thanks 1

• Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

43 minutes ago, Debp said:

Maybe you can share about when you had the cat sanctuary?

It seems no matter where I go, they find me. There was this residence that I lived for over ten years, on the out-skirts of the city. It was in a cul de sac, and a main road running on the entrance of it. On this particular route, people had and still do have this awful tendency to dump their unwanted puppies and kittens haphazardly onto the side. Among some were already pregnant. 

For so many, it was not a happy ending. The puppies ended up with some of the neighbors, and the kittens came to me. I had one black and white stray Manx, a girl, when I moved there, and what was noticed, was a small colony of black half Persians, living in a bush in the middle of the block. They basically dispersed, one male was adopted a street over, and one female came strolling into my back yard one day. So, I took her in. 

And more came. I would feed the strays in the back, and if they could be domesticated, I'd take them in also. Of course, the responsible thing was to spay the females, and neuter the males. They all got their annual shots, and flea treatments. Fortunately, we had an old timey veterinarian, and his costs were the lowest in the county. I could afford them what was needed, thank God. 

At the peak of my loving brood, I had a dozen domesticated, and about half dozen strays. The weather extremes are harsh in central California, so I constructed a fairly large Igloo brand dog house under the sheltered porch of the patio. A nice cozy quilt was placed to give extra comfort. All had such neat personalities, and I can't recall one that couldn't be petted. Maybe giving them names, and talking to each of them, had some way of making them feel loved and welcome. And so they were.   

• Loved it! 2

58 minutes ago, HAZARD said:

Feral cats threaten the survival of over 100 native species in Australia. They have caused the extinction of some ground-dwelling birds and small to medium-sized mammals. They are a major cause of decline for many land-based endangered animals such as the bilby, bandicoot, bettong and numbat. Many native animals are struggling to survive so reducing the number killed by this introduced predator will allow their populations to grow.

Feral cats can carry infectious diseases which can be transmitted to native animals, domestic livestock and humans.

Feral cats are the same species as domestic cats, however they live and reproduce in the wild and survive by hunting or scavenging. They are found all over Australia in all habitats, including forests, woodlands, grasslands, wetlands and arid areas.

Feral cats are predominantly solitary and nocturnal, spending most of the day in the safety of a shelter such as a rabbit burrow, log or rock pile. They are carnivores, generally eating small mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and insects depending on their availability.

https://environment.gov.au/biodiversity/invasive-species/feral-animals-australia/feral-cats

Z 813..jpg

I recognize that they are a serious problem in australia. 

In my area, they are not. They help keep down the dangerous pests here. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Thanks 1