Telling loved ones about baptism

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  459
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  1

As some of you know, I was born and baptized into Catholicism, was a wishy-washy Christian all my life, up until about six weeks ago when I feel I got saved. I come from a moderate Catholic family who think its nice to have a bit of faith and be good to others (when it suits) but you shouldn't be extreme about it. My husband is a total, TOTAL nonbeliever who tolerates my faith.

They issue I. ...I want to have an adult baptism. My family will think I have lost it, and traditionally, this has been a big trigger for me as they have unfairly accused me of being unstable in the past. My husband will think that its crazy but I am worried about my parent's' reaction. And my inlaws...they will think I've gone crazy and will gossip about me.

I am going to get baptised regardless. Their opinions won't stop me, but I would just like some advice or experiences from people to keep me buoyed up and encouraged as I step out against my worldy loved ones.

I know that God will smooth the way and give me strength but just need a little push from my brothers and sisters in Christ. Should I pray for my loved ones to accept my choice without resistance or should I be relishing the persecution to be close to Jesus? As I said. ..the baptism will happen, but I feel like I need to really gather myself beforehand.

Any tips? I am praying about it. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79

Shalom @Thewhitedove

They will be aware they are giving you a hard time and that you will be getting a hard time from others on this matter. If you tolerate their abuse it will show them there must be something in it (or at least that you are utterly convinced). 

Therefore, when they insult you, joke about it, mock or put labels on you like "crazy", smile or laugh back and say "yeah I suppose it must seem crazy from your point of view! I can see totally see that, I might have said the same back in the day... Oh well, you don't have to come to the baptism if it's an issue for you, that's okay". 

That kind of attitude will show them you are sober minded, self aware but also peacefully defiant in being affected by their objections.  It takes away their power of hoping to dissuade you. 

Internally, rejoice. For all that you endure (however minor) for the Lord and your faith will be rewarded. So each challenge and insult they throw your way is actually a blessing in a way. 

By the way, great news on your baptism! Praise Yahweh! 

Love & Shalom 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

47 minutes ago, Thewhitedove said:

As some of you know, I was born and baptized into Catholicism, was a wishy-washy Christian all my life, up until about six weeks ago when I feel I got saved. I come from a moderate Catholic family who think its nice to have a bit of faith and be good to others (when it suits) but you shouldn't be extreme about it. My husband is a total, TOTAL nonbeliever who tolerates my faith.

They issue I. ...I want to have an adult baptism. My family will think I have lost it, and traditionally, this has been a big trigger for me as they have unfairly accused me of being unstable in the past. My husband will think that its crazy but I am worried about my parent's' reaction. And my inlaws...they will think I've gone crazy and will gossip about me.

I am going to get baptised regardless. Their opinions won't stop me, but I would just like some advice or experiences from people to keep me buoyed up and encouraged as I step out against my worldy loved ones.

I know that God will smooth the way and give me strength but just need a little push from my brothers and sisters in Christ. Should I pray for my loved ones to accept my choice without resistance or should I be relishing the persecution to be close to Jesus? As I said. ..the baptism will happen, but I feel like I need to really gather myself beforehand.

Mostly be quiet if anyone mocks you.    Perhaps as written in Scripture,  over time,  seeing your totally changed life,   "WITHOUT A WORD,  ...."   they will be converted.    (in Scripture said specifically of wife/ husband).

In the past,  whenever anyone got saved,   usually they were kicked out of the catholic group and out of their family.   So don't be surprised at the very hostile reactions from anyone.  They hate Jesus,  so they also hate us (everyone who is in Jesus).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  459
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

Thank you both! Someone must have been praying! The Lord created an opportunity in conversation so I could slip my baptism in. My husband is completely cool with it. He says he finds it weird but if it makes me happy, I need to go for it. He also said that I can teach our young children about Jesus at home, and thats not a problem, but they are not to go to Sunday school. I accepted that As I think he is compromising a lot. He has said he will come to the baptism, and asked was there a party afterwards...I think he was hoping for a Catholic style baptism party, complete with lots of booze. I put him straight :-) A very positive outcome! 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

5 hours ago, Thewhitedove said:

I grew up in a mainline church and was baptized as an infant.   I became a Christian at age 12.  When I was in college, I joined a campus Christian group and church where adult baptism was the norm.  I decided to be baptized (which ended up being in a river in the spring just after the ice went out).  I didn't invite anyone in particular since I was mostly viewing it as something between God and me.   There was a small group from the church there along with a few others being baptized.  Probably the first people who knew were some other students who saw me when I came back to the dorms sopping wet.   Many years later, I really cannot recall who I did or did not tell or when I told them.

Some Christians I've known kept it relatively private with a small group around them and others invited family and friends.  Some churches have the facilities to do it in a larger service and others need to go somewhere with appropriate water facilities.  I was a member at one church which worked out a deal with a local hotel that had a pool.  I remember a handful of us helping one lady with a wheelchair into that hotel pool.

My sense of things is it's about where God is leading you with this and what you are comfortable with.   A non-infant baptism can be a good testimony to others.   Our daughters (when children) were baptized by immersion in a mainline protestant church we were attending.  They'd been dedicated as infants which caused a bit of ruckus when the church found out they hadn't been baptized as infants.  Rather than debating over it, we chose our battles carefully and went for letting our actions speak more than our words.  Our daughters wanted to be baptized in the local lake.  It was the first baptism by immersion that the pastor had ever done and probably the first one most of the people there had seen.  It was done after a Sunday service and people drove over to the lake.  A few people started crying.  The weather was unique with a lot of dark clouds around, some rumbles of thunder and lightning off in the distance, and sunshine on the beach where we were at.   A few other parents asked us about what infant dedication was about afterwards.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,298
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, Thewhitedove said:

up until about six weeks ago when I feel I got saved.

My husband is a total, TOTAL nonbeliever who tolerates my faith.

They issue I. ...I want to have an adult baptism. My family will think I have lost it, and traditionally, this has been a big trigger for me as they have unfairly accused me of being unstable in the past.

My husband will think that its crazy but I am worried about my parent's' reaction. And my inlaws...they will think I've gone crazy and will gossip about me.

As I said. ..the baptism will happen, but I feel like I need to really gather myself beforehand.

Three points.

1/ You feel you got saved!

May I suggest that you talk with your minister about whether you have been saved and about being baptised.

2/ Your family accuse you of being 'unstable', prove them wrong by your regular commitment to your church and regular sunday attendance. Let them see that Christianity is a big part of your life before talking about baptism.

3/The above will mean your husband getting involved in coming to church with you on a regular basis, possible even accompanying you to something likeChristianity Explored course. For you to find out more about Christianity and also reacing out to your husband.

Don't just get baptised, demonstrate the relaity of your faith over the next year before going for it.

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 6/13/2019 at 1:53 PM, Thewhitedove said:

The bad news is most of the time in your walk with Christ you will be completely alone. The good news is persist and work as you can and eventually you will see results. You dont need to gather yourself to get baptised, there is no preparation needed.