growinginJesus

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

it is said that there is a fine line between revenge and justice what does the bible say about the two and also i like to know what is crossing the line when it comes to justice in one's personal opinion, you can quote scripture if you like but i would like to know what that scripture means to you....

Edited by growinginJesus
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

There's no fine line.    Justice is always to be accomplished.   Revenge NEVER.

Ekklesia do not seek their own vengeance either - that is for Yahuweh(God) to do, as He Says Clearly, if it is to be done.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Justice is God’s Way, and Revenge is His, though we could take things in our own hands and man’s selfish ways lead to destruction. 

It’s quite a dark world in which sins have increased the way beyond imagination, and to the distance of crucified our Lord Jesus Christ (and still do today, as in the persecution of the spiritual, and opposing God’s Will in our lives and even in churches), including ourselves’ sins nailed Him there. To have all things corrected in this world temporal on earth couldn’t be practical but have to wait for His Plan for everything to unfold. 

For some things, God told us to leave it there as He permits, because without simply taken out all the "bad" the Good God is even capable of turning it into miracles, "making all things work for those love Him", and we can rest in His care. His eyes are on the sparrow and Israel (us) for ever. Those do evil sin against God first, and Judgment awaits everyone (for the unbeliever the White Throne Judgment and Christians the Christ’s judgement seat). For some other things, not for our earthly benefits like gain and fame but eternal welfare, the Lord lead us as in other ways, to stretch His Kingdom and get trained for eternity, after all WE His children and masterpiece are what will last, not what we possess here for a period of time, and to serve Him in eternity is what we look forward to and our goal. And beside some special people GOD use to perform their duties on the job like spiritual deliverance, medical care, police or justice department, we "common citizens" may have less legal permissions and responsibilities of what could be done in chasing darkness down in a bigger range, but could still perform our God-given authority and be a Kingdom ambassador where we are, remember God is the Judge, and Christ is our righteousness. 

It is not wrong in hating evil and sin as a God-loving person will do, but continue to keep Faith and Hope and most of all Love, to love our Lord, and love others as ourselves, with the Love in us from above. In not being overcomed by evil but overcome evil with good we are already winning, and through Christ we are more than conquerors. God’s word is our weapon in this dark world, it’s the lamp to our feet and light to our path, keeps us strong and stand firm on right ground, nothing can be done without Christ but with God all things are possible. 

Learning to give things into the Lord’s Hands and trusting Him myself, from getting perspective (Discernment) to seek guidance and strength to follow through. Thanks for the opportunity of writing a reply from my own experience. 

Great topic I’m looking forward to others’ inputs :)

Edited by purity
add missing word

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, growinginJesus said:

it is said that there is a fine line between revenge and justice what does the bible say about the two and also i like to know what is crossing the line when it comes to justice in one's personal opinion, you can quote scripture if you like but i would like to know what that scripture means to you....

As a generalization (and probably overgeneralization), I'd differentiate between the two like this.  When it is mainly about getting back at someone for what they did to you or someone else, it's likely revenge.  When it's mainly about using proper legal remedies or church practices to prevent someone from continuing to hurt you or someone else, it's likely justice.   There are times it is appropriate to sit back and let God deal with situations.  There are times where it is appropriate to involve various authorities (which might be law enforcement, court systems, or church authorities).

I think for the Christian the key is forgiveness and healing.  God wants for us to be emotionally and spiritually free from bondage.  Being fixated on getting back at someone is simply not healthy for us and is a form of emotional and spiritual bondage.  This is something we need to be healed and freed from.  However, reconciliation, reparations, personal safety, and any type of interaction with the offender is dependent on what they did or are likely to do and can involve law enforcement, legal systems, or church leadership depending on the situation.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

11 hours ago, growinginJesus said:

Shalom,

Interesting question.  Personally, I see it like this...

Someone wrongs you and you retaliate personally or indirectly - this is revenge.  

Someone wrongs you and you do not retaliate, leaving the matter in the hands of God - this is justice.

Now, whatever form of revenge WE may take, it will never be a balanced or perfectly measured form of justice.  In our hands, it will either be too weak, too strong, fuelled by prideful motivation or even endanger our walk before God.  Therefore, in all situations where we have been wronged, we should never seek revenge.  Firstly, to ensure our heart doesn't get polluted with incorrect motives and secondly, because Yahweh's justice will be more perfect than we could ever imagine.  

Finally, I believe Yahweh gives us a choice on how to handle such matters.  If you take matters in your own hands, the matter will be considered settled and God will not take vengeance (although you then may be in trouble yourself thereafter).  If you choose to not to, than the matter will be settled by God, in perfect time, with perfect justice and perfect understanding.  I'm base this thought on the idea of charity mentioned in the Bible: If you give and boast before men - you have your reward in full.  Do so in secret and God will reward you.  I truly believe many matters follow this principle.

I hope that helps.

Love & Shalom

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

If one has been wronged......turn it over to God.... “ I shall repay!” He says. Meanwhile, do like Paul says and kill them with kindness— it’s like “ pouring heaps of burning coal on their heads.”

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

Romans 12:19 (KJV) Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

My personal opinion: As stated above; man can not dispense perfect justice, only the Lord can. Anger leads to vengeance and can lead to a disproportionate punishment. God established human government (the law, Judges and Kings) to temporarily govern the affair of men, until the King of Kings and Lord of Lords returns for perfect justice and administrative rule.

Leviticus 24:20 (KJV) Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.

I believe the prescribed remedies / punishments outlined in the Bible are not for individuals to carry out. But are designated for civilized human governments in the mean time until Christs return, when He rules with a rod of iron. 

What that means to me is; Christian forgiveness is a powerful medicine. It heals ones heart of hate and for the desire for vengeance. Bottled up hate and the constant wish for retribution leads one to health issues and premature death. Forgiveness 'can' act as a powerful Christian tool and witness for Christ in the life of the offender also. 

Now with all that said; is it easier said than done when we personally experience it? YES. What hope and faith does a nonbeliever in Christ have in ultimate justice? We as Christians have a sure Word that the the Lord will repay and administer the perfect justice at the perfect time. I don't pretend to understand much about Gods will and plan and why certain bad things happen; but the rain falls on the just and unjust alike presently. I know God is in control and has His plan; all (not a few or some) things work out for good for those that love Him. Nothing happens by happenstance; it's either in Gods will or He permits it for a specific reason. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

In this life we are to forgive...if perhaps a person can be won over to the truth.

So for us there is no thought about justice or revenge. As if the courts of men were capable of real justice anyway. We will have to wait for judgment day to get any final justice (with mercy too).

God will not deal with us for OUR sins if we forgive others THEIR sins. As we forgive so also we will be forgiven. And as we judge so also will we be judged.

I believe that is God's will for we who believe.

Edited by Pekoudah
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

thanks all for your comments and there is some good God loving answers in them, i have though about it after listening to your comments and i think that fine line that i spoke of is motive.....you can sue out of revenge......your not suppose to but you can ask God to take care of something out of being vengeful (not what you want to do because he will never help out of hatred)  but the real core of the issue is what is it that you seek is it to get even or is it to insure others know what has been done and so they will not have to go thru the same thing....handing it over to God i like that because God has a since of putting "poetics" in the justice....kind of putting the person whom victimized you in the same position you were in.

I asked this question because i was wronged a long time ago, or from my view was wrong and i havent been able to let it go....i have a chance to get a monetary settlement from this "entity" but what am i going after justice or revenge for the perceived wrong.  from what i am learning i have to say that yes my heart has hardened from the events that took place.....perhaps it is best if i stopped perusing the possibility of a big pay day out of revenge and start letting God handle it in his way and in his time.  think it is time to walk away and let my heart heal. thanks for your comments i consider this thread closed.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

19 hours ago, growinginJesus said:

Matthew 18:21-22
Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

Luke 17:3
Take heed to yourselves: If your brother trespass against you, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Mark, 12;17
And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marveled at him.

• Praise God! 1