Sign in to follow this  
missmuffet

Does God test us?

Posted (edited)

So does God test us so he will know more about us, because he doesn't know ?

or

We get the test to know about ourselves, because we don't really know ourselves ?

God tested Abraham to see if he would follow thru . Gen.22

God gave the manna to test them, to see if they would follow the instructions. Exodus 16:4

Edited by Bible_Gazer
  • This is Worthy 2

yes I believe God tests us to see if we are being obedient & sometimes he has to test us to chastise us,

• This is Worthy 2

Posted (edited)

Lots of good thought-provoking responses already…:)

Our Father knows His own; actually, He knew us even before the foundation of the world, and He knows just what it will take for each one of us to be conformed to the image of Jesus. Yes, we were predestined to be like Jesus. Wow!….to grasp this truth in its entirety!  So God is molding us constantly so that we are being conformed to the image of His Son.  It’s our destiny!

Romans 8:29 New King James Version (NKJV)

29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Edited by Sonshine☀️
  • This is Worthy 1

Psalm 17:3...  You have tested my heart; You have visited me in the night; You have tried me and have found nothing; I have purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.  

Psalm 26:2...  Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; test my mind and my heart.

Psalm 139:23-24...  Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.  

God's testing reveals our flaws so that we can recognize them and allow Him to do the transforming work in us that needs to be done.  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

6 hours ago, other one said:

I think as in Job's case, God lets Satan test us, and God allows it.  

I can go with that....I seem to have been 'knocked about a bit more still in the past 10 years in my old age

and I can't and won't blame it on God !!!  sooo...?

Sometimes a person experiences a tragedy and they turn away from God. David sought God's testing Psalm 139:23. Abram was tested by God Hebrews 11: 17-19. Job was tested by Satan with God's permission. 

It is to prove that our faith is real. God will never allow us to be tested beyond what we can handle. We experience storms in life. We cling to His promises so we can weather the storm.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2
  • Praise God! 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, missmuffet said:

What do you think?

Yes, I do believe God tests us.

The scripture ref. below has been a source of strength and hope for me when I encounter trials and testing. As I trust His word and go through the testing in the right manner, I am assured that I will come out on the other end of it stronger than before. He will work out the defects in me (which are many) and make sure that I lack nothing that is needful to live a successful Christian life. I kind of look at it this way now, my trials are an opportunity for growth and character development, therefore, I will rejoice when they come, knowing that God is working out His purposes in my life.

James 1:2-4 (AMP)
2  Consider it wholly joyful, my brethren, whenever you are enveloped in or encounter trials of any sort or fall into various temptations.
3  Be assured and understand that the trial and proving of your faith bring out endurance and steadfastness and patience.
4  But let endurance and steadfastness and patience have full play and do a thorough work, so that you may be [people] perfectly and fully developed [with no defects], lacking in nothing.

Gary

Edited by bropro
  • This is Worthy 2

3 hours ago, Betha said:

I can go with that....I seem to have been 'knocked about a bit more still in the past 10 years in my old age

and I can't and won't blame it on God !!!  sooo...?

Betha, I sincerely write this with every intention of helping you to understand.  I too, as many, many believers, have experienced the type of trials that truly break the heart.  I believe that indeed, God does choose to try us and/or allows Satan to try us.  I need to know what it is you’re having trouble accepting regarding the scripture below.  Maybe we’ll get further input by other members concerning this subject.

James 1:2-4 

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces [a]patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be [b]perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

We must search for God to find him. Like Jesus said knock and it shall be opened. Satan tests us....Jesus saves us!

42 minutes ago, Sonshine☀️ said:

Betha, I sincerely write this with every intention of helping you to understand.  I too, as many, many believers, have experienced the type of trials that truly break the heart.  I believe that indeed, God does choose to try us and/or allows Satan to try us.  I need to know what it is you’re having trouble accepting regarding the scripture below.  Maybe we’ll get further input by other members concerning this subject.

James 1:2-4 

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces [a]patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be [b]perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

Thanks for your concern....in case my post came over as a cry for help. My ??? simply referred to satan testing us (well, in my case) and not God who would never knock His old people around breaking arms, legs, hips etc etc. No, I am fine relying on the Lord for help ! thank you and God bless you !

• Thumbs Up 1

Sign in to follow this