• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/10/1972

A person, who has a chronic illness such as Alzheimers or dementia in advanced stages, who has been know not to be a believer... Is there scripture that would be interpreted to show salvation of this person through prayer by family members? 

21 minutes ago, Margo1945 said:

all you can do is pray for such a person and they do have periodic lucid moments when they do understand and if you can get them to ask to be saved in that time even if it is not too clearly put, God will read their hearts and will know if they wish to be saved and if they do, He will save them 

I thought this was the case.

You have reaffirmed my understanding of this fundamental belief that each person must truly believe in Jesus, what He has done for us, that He ascended into Heaven, & will come again one day to make judgement of all.

I was asking for a friend whose mother has only a couple weeks left here on earth. I'll talk to her and pray for her family.

thank you

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

Thank you Margo, for your help.  I appreciate the prayer example and advice.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

15 hours ago, mlbrokish said:

A person, who has a chronic illness such as Alzheimers or dementia in advanced stages, who has been know not to be a believer... Is there scripture that would be interpreted to show salvation of this person through prayer by family members? 

Instead of looking for a Scripture, maybe you should talk to the Lord about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

On 6/15/2019 at 3:03 PM, mlbrokish said:

This person had a chance to come to Christ before they became ill. I think the best plan for this person is to pray for him/her. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

I have prayed for dementia patients many times.

I am firmly convinced - and yes, to the point that my mind cannot be changed - that until you take your last breath on this earth, God can work in your heart.  

We cannot commune with those patients, but the Holy Spirit can.  I do not know all of God's ways.  But I know that his ways are a billion times higher than man's.

I would NEVER give up praying for a lost loved one merely because they cannot commune with me or others.  Never.

•  Jesus Christ communed and commanded a little girl lying DEAD on a bed.  Why can't he commune with a LIVING person whose mind is beyond our reach?
  •  Studies have proven that dementia/Alzheimer's patients can focus more on someone when there is multi-sensory activies going on far more than someone who is just talking to them.  While talking - try singing a hymn, combing their hair, or letting them hold and play with Playdough.

I go with my pastor sometimes to the nursing home to play the piano while he sings and preaches for about 15 minutes.  Many of those wheeled in don't know who they are, where they are, and cannot communicate.

I tell you the truth - when I play those old hymns, they faces show alertness.  Some smile, some try to sing, some cry, and some start talking.  One lady, the last time, brought her "baby boy" with her [her very old and dirty stuffed animal].  

She was oblivious to everyone except that baby boy.  She stroked it's head and spoke words I could not understand.

But when the song service began, she became aware that she was in a room with others and she tried to sing, but could not.

You and I do NOT know what is in their minds and hearts.  God knows and I believe he does not want ANYONE to perish [even though many will].

And a disease like Alzheimer's cannot stop God from saving people.  These people may not be aware of anything or anyone, but God can make them aware of him.

I say never stop praying until they draw their last breath.

Edited by Jayne
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I brought my Boston terrier to visit and nursing home one time.  A lady that hadn't spoken in several years suddenly started talking about her Boston that she once had.  Times like these are moments that we can use to speak to them, such as how God loves her even more than her dog did.  

• Thumbs Up 2

@Jayne, @Margo1945, & @Willa - I am sitting here, in tears, as I read your posts, knowing God has answered my prayer from this morning, when I asked for more help and encouragement. Thank you all, and Thank you God!!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

Hi MlBrokish,

I was reading that a study done in 2014 shows that dementia and Alzheimer's patients can be reached through music. They found that it helps them recall memories, emotions and have enhanced mental performance.  Maybe you could try playing some hymns and then from there read from the bible. Plus, we know the power of prayer! My mother-in-law passed after having Dementia/Alzheimer's so i know the difficulties, heartache and frustration this disease can be to everyone involved in the family. 

“If you believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you will be saved” (Ro. 10.9).  

You never know how God using your efforts can bring this person to salvation. He/she may not be able to express their salvation in the normal way but they could possibly accept this in their heart/mind quietly in one of their lucid moments and that is all God needs.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your advice about the music, @lovethelord. I think I had heard about that study, but forgot about it.  That is an excellent idea.