Sign in to follow this  
Journey365

2 bowls that won't separate

Can someone please help me. I have 2 - 7 cups glass bowls that will absolutely not come apart. :th_frusty:

I have looked  online for possible solutions and basically the main one was to put very hot water in a sink under the bottom and to put ice cubes

in the top bowl. It was to separate and didn't.  I also tried regular dish soap and WD 40... of course no success. :mgdetective: These are very good bowls and are used everyday. So does anyone know what else I can try?

I would hate to have to break these if not necessary. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :emot-questioned:

Since you used wd40, I dont know how toxic things are in the bowl. You might want to check with someone on that ...

In the past, Ive done light tapping around the bowls to get them apart, but since its glass, you need to be really careful. You could try the hot water thing. My guess is that its a suction type of reason why they are stuck, and using hot water, then ice, will cause enough expansion and contraction to cause separation. Keep in mind that glass can crack when exposed to a large difference in temperature.

I am no expert though so please consider my words as such.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

Since you used wd40, I dont know how toxic things are in the bowl. You might want to check with someone on that ...

In the past, Ive done light tapping around the bowls to get them apart, but since its glass, you need to be really careful. You could try the hot water thing. My guess is that its a suction type of reason why they are stuck, and using hot water, then ice, will cause enough expansion and contraction to cause separation. Keep in mind that glass can crack when exposed to a large difference in temperature.

I am no expert though so please consider my words as such.

I've tried the water and the light tapping.. I was afraid of cracking or breaking the bowl so I just stopped. Thanks for trying to answer.

Have you tried turning one bowl in the other? That might be enough to break the seal.

Ok they finally came apart by more WD-40 all around the edge of the bowl and using a butter knife in between the 2 bowls and gently using a small weight to tap lightly. It then came apart :36::emot-dance: 

• Praise God! 1

Maybe from now on, if you need to stack them, put tissue paper between them.  :) 

• Thanks 1

did you know wd-40 used to be a government formula?  it stands for water displacement and it was the 40th formula.  there is wd-38 and a bunch of other numbers.  idk if you can still buy the other wd's.  they used it on the nukes in the silos to keep them from rusting.  they sold the recipe and its been available to the public every since. 

brake cleaner spray will evaporate and de-grease... dont know if thats a great idea with kitchen bowls or not.  certain things in the kitchen are off limits to me... just saying. 

• Brilliant! 1

by the sound of things almost EVERYTHING in the kitchen should be off limits to you :runforhills:

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this