• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

7 hours ago, shel said:

Wanna here something funny Deb? I grew up in LA. Was born at ucla hospital but spent age 3-10 in the San Fernando valley. My grandparents lived in Santa Monica and my dad worked in Santa Monica so we spent quite a bit of time there as well.

That is funny.... I've been in L.A. for most of my life after growing up in PA.   But the past years the rents have gone up tremendously....many fancy apartment buildings, and more under construction.    Even the older buildings have high rents.   So many people are starting to leave California.   I am a senior citizen so it's hard for me to make a major change....for now it's day by day as the Lord taught us.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

On 6/16/2019 at 4:30 AM, Debp said:

This area seems to be one of the busiest so I'm putting this topic here.   Just something fun to share....

What is the view from your front door?

I see two old apartment buildings across the street with a gated yard between them.   On the main street behind them, I can see the top of a tall, modern apartment building.   When I look to the West, I see a tall, historic art deco building.   When I look East, I see a very large, imposing, old, ornate apartment building.   There are also trees, flowers and bushes on my small street.

8 minutes ago, Debp said:

That is funny.... I've been in L.A. for most of my life after growing up in PA.   But the past years the rents have gone up tremendously....many fancy apartment buildings, and more under construction.    Even the older buildings have high rents.   So many people are starting to leave California.   I am a senior citizen so it's hard for me to make a major change....for now it's day by day as the Lord taught us.

I only read the op and the last page - 

was wondering DOES ANYONE SEE a Christian Community Helping One Another (as found throughout the New Testament, but apparently rarely throughout history)

in the view from your door ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

10 minutes ago, Debp said:

Hi Debp. Yes, a lot of people are leaving. Kinda funny, but the last elections, while my wife and I were standing in line outside, winding around the block, waiting for our turn to vote, I met an older couple our age, and they told me they had just moved here (central Texas) and were from California. I then, (having fun) hollered out to my wife, for all the other Texans to hear, "Hey hon, check it out, these people just moved here from California!!" They turned beet red, but we all had a laugh. I was informed they had lived in California for many years, back when it was very conservative.  And no, they said, they were not bringing west coast politics to Texas.  More laughs. They had to get out, as like yourself Debp, as retired folks, they could not afford to live there any more.
Your more than welcome to come on over to our great state of Texas, Debp. You'll love it.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Sower said:

Hi Debp. Yes, a lot of people are leaving. Kinda funny, but the last elections, while my wife and I were standing in line outside, winding around the block, waiting for our turn to vote, I met an older couple our age, and they told me they had just moved here (central Texas) and were from California. I then, (having fun) hollered out to my wife, for all the other Texans to hear, "Hey hon, check it out, these people just moved here from California!!" They turned beet red, but we all had a laugh. I was informed they had lived in California for many years, back when it was very conservative.  And no, they said, they were not bringing west coast politics to Texas.  More laughs. They had to get out, as like yourself Debp, as retired folks, they could not afford to live there any more.
Your more than welcome to come on over to our great state of Texas, Debp. You'll love it.

I always thought San Antonio sounds like a nice city.   Is that Central Texas?   But for now my elderly mother and I seem to be in a holding pattern.   She is 89 and in a couple of more months, I will be 69.   Years ago we had a friend that moved and bought a home in Tyler, TX....little did we know our rents would go crazy high.   I don't have a car anymore so also rely on taxis for marketing and taking my mom to the doctors.   Appreciate your prayers that we will be led in what we should do in the future.

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

39 minutes ago, Debp said:

I always thought San Antonio sounds like a nice city.   Is that Central Texas? 

Yes. Very popular for out of towners. River walk most popular. It's the closest large city from where I live.
It also has the name "Military city USA. Many military bases here, (all my siblings born at Fort Sam) and
we have the largest military personnel  retirement  group. Good people. Large medical facilities throughout also.

Remember the Alamo!: )...............praying

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  20
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  6,825
  • Content Per Day:  2.51
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  04/11/1961

5 hours ago, Debp said:

Are there still places that have rent control? Back when I was first married, I can't remember exactly which city it was... Belaire? Venice? Some place near West L.A. where we lived there were people paying much lower rent than everyone else around because they had lived there forever and the landlord was not allowed to raise the rent more than a very low percentage.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  20
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  6,825
  • Content Per Day:  2.51
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  04/11/1961

5 hours ago, simplejeff said:

I only read the op and the last page - 

was wondering DOES ANYONE SEE a Christian Community Helping One Another (as found throughout the New Testament, but apparently rarely throughout history)

in the view from your door ?

My church has Love Your Neighbor days, where we do free labor for someone in need in the body - whatever is needed. We have had some deaths recently, and we are working hard as a new church plant, so we are not as energetic as we have been at times... but we do love each other deeply.

ps. of course while our beloved members were dying we supplied meals, transportation, etc. as needed.

Edited by shel
  • Loved it! 1

7 hours ago, shel said:

Are there still places that have rent control? Back when I was first married, I can't remember exactly which city it was... Belaire? Venice? Some place near West L.A. where we lived there were people paying much lower rent than everyone else around because they had lived there forever and the landlord was not allowed to raise the rent more than a very low percentage.

In L.A. the older buildings such as I live in have rent control.   However, we still get a rent increase each year of either 3% or 4%.   So it does add up, the increases get larger and larger as time goes on.   And since we didn't get Social Security raises for four years, that didn't help at all.    Thankful that under President Trump, we finally got an increase.

Also, the apartment management company that took over about four years ago is very shady and really awful to us tenants.   They do illegal things also, to try to get more money from us.   

• Praying! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

I would post photos, except its dark out now

• Thumbs Up 1