• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

I see people searching the Bible to answer this question or that question. I do it myself. However, the purpose of the Bible isn't to be a substitute for the Lord in our lives, I don't believe. The purpose of the Bible is to introduce us to the Lord. So maybe sometimes the best way to find an answer to a question is to ask the Lord.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

I agree that we should talk to God in prayer; however, the Bible is more than just an introductory to Him. The Good Book is like a text book in school, a means to teach, full of answers to questions we may have.

Just my two bits,  JJ

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

3 minutes ago, BorderCowboy said:

I agree that we should talk to God in prayer; however, the Bible is more than just an introductory to Him. The Good Book is like a text book in school, a means to teach, full of answers to questions we may have.

Just my two bits,  JJ

The Good Book quotes the Lord, and we must do his bidding. I think, though, some people treat the Bible as if it was the Lord.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

24 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

I see people searching the Bible to answer this question or that question. I do it myself. However, the purpose of the Bible isn't to be a substitute for the Lord in our lives, I don't believe. The purpose of the Bible is to introduce us to the Lord. So maybe sometimes the best way to find an answer to a question is to ask the Lord.

Uh, I tread cautiously here because I see your point in one sense... the Bible is the answer book that leads us to God and confirms who God is enabling us to have a relationship with God. If all we do is worship the Bible (so to speak) we are wrong wrong wrong. Our relationship is with the living God. Period. The Bible, however is a crucial part of making that even possible (considering the evil deceptive world we live in AND our sin nature which distorts our every moment if we are not careful).

To say, Oh I have found God now I don't need the Bible is a very dangerous place to be!!!

Not that this was what you meant, JTB.

Daily grounding in the Word as a devotion to God and our relationship with him is a good thing.

It keeps US on track so long as it does not become rote or a form of worship in and of itself.

Be blessed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1

59 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

It takes some wisdom to realize that the bible is actually a book of questions...from God to us.

Jesus asked...Who do you say I am?

It is an error to try cobbling together a list of answers (from all the wrong questions) to the message which on purpose doesn't resolve. We are , as you say, meant to go to Him....not try to figure it all out ourselves with our various opinions.

Let's also remember how partisan we can be...how self-interested the flesh is. We are not to try interpreting the bible for ourselves. It interprets us.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

I posted not that long ago that there were two things that were true in regard to the Bible......#1 - The Bible is the best selling book of all time.  #2 The Bible is the biggest dust- gatherer of all time.  Of all the hundreds of people I know or have known, there may be half a dozen people I would say with confidence that they had read the entire Bible— or even a fraction of it.

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9

7 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

Jesus quoted scripture, fullfilled Scripture, explained Scriptures, revealed Scripture became the Living Word. With the competing voices and all the recorded audio available to play in our heads. Plus, knowing the enemy comes as a messenger of light to deceive. How can we even dicern the counsel of the Lord in us from the rebellion in your flesh, false teachings and Satan himself if you are not a learner (diciple) filled with Gods Spirit and Word?

Edited by Reinitin
A missplassed A
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

One of the things that changed my approach to the Bible about 25 or so years ago was a series of meetings I had with JW and LDS people.  One day I realized that we were all using the Bible in exactly the same way.  We were pulling out proof texts, explaining what they really meant, and then assuming that there was an authority associated with the Bible we were taking onto ourselves.  This incongruity bothered me because I knew there should be something much different about how I was using scripture than they were.

It took awhile, but I realized that the Holy Spirit plays a huge role in empowering the words in the Bible and giving the Bible authority.  Indeed, I've slowly come to the conclusion that the most powerful use of scripture occurs when it is the Holy Spirit prompting and empowering its use.  It seems at times like everyone and their brother quotes and tosses around various Bible verses and their interpretation of various verses to prove why they are right and give directions to other people.  Often this is to little effect in changing people or their lives.  As I've observed people in the body of Christ, the most powerful use of scripture I see is when the Holy Spirit directs someone to a passage and empowers it to change lives in some manner.  Anyone can quote the Bible.  However, it seems to take a degree of spiritual depth and maturity and direct guidance and empowering of the Holy Spirit for it to have spiritual authority when we use it.

The second thing that changed my approach to the Bible is that I've now read it through in 3 different languages and about a dozen or so different translations.  I found that my memory of particular passages is now much more the main idea of the passage than the particular words.   I also tend to remember the context much better than I used to.   I used to take verses such as Proverbs 25:2 (It is the glory of God to conceal a matter;  to search out a matter is the glory of kings. Prov 25:2 NIV) and Matthew 5:18 (For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished" Matt 5:18 NIV) as my guide to reading the Bible.  I saw hidden treasures and meanings in individual words and verses waiting for a super-spiritual person (me!!!!) to find them and reveal them to the world.   However, I started to see that my great finds were often dependent on picking the right translation with just the right phrasing and were usually just reading my own conjectures into verses.  Now, I just take the approach that if something is very important, God is going to say it over and over and in many different ways in a solid context so that we cannot possibly miss it.  No one can miss that the Bible teaches that Jesus is the Son of God.  No one can miss that the Bible teaches that Jesus died and was resurrected.

Most of my use of scripture used to be trying to determine who was doctrinally correct and who was not and to search out the hidden truths of God.  Now much of my use of scripture is sharing passages that the Holy Spirit can use to touch lives and reveal God.   I find that as I listen to someone two things often happen.  The first is that a clear picture of what their real need is just seems obvious.  The second is that some passage or passages of scripture come to mind that addresses that need in a way the Holy Spirit uses to touch their heart in some way.   My focus now tends to be on discerning what particular thing God wants to say to someone.  I more often seeing God using that to touch someone's life than when I used to go on scripture quoting binges.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

1 hour ago, Reinitin said:

Jesus quoted scripture, fullfilled Scripture, explained Scriptures, revealed Scripture became the Living Word. With the competing voices and all the recorded audio available to play in our heads. Plus, knowing the enemy comes as a messenger of light to deceive. How can you even dicern the counsel of the Lord from the rebellion in your flesh, false teachings and Satan himself if you are not a learner (diciple) filled with Gods Word?

You will note in the Bible that the Lord is quoted often. We must obey his words.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,397
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. By no means should we neglect prayer but the Bible does speak plainly about a lot of issues in the general sense. Sometimes even in very specific ways. Scripture is wonderful in that we can go through the same verses at different points in our lives and it can speak to us differently each time. As I see it when we read the Bible God DOES speak to us. It's part of the process of going closer to God and Him going closer to us.