marvelloustime

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,140
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

I'm suddenly interested in reading The Passion Translation Bible, introduced to me through a very mature brother-in-Christ, who teaches from it, and is fluent in Hebrew and Greek himself.

"The Passion Translation Bible is a new, heart-level translation that expresses God’s fiery heart of love to this generation using Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic manuscripts—merging the emotion and life-changing truth of God’s Word."

"All you thirsty ones, come to me! Come to me and drink! Believe in me so that rivers of living water will burst out from within you, flowing from your innermost being just like the Scripture says!" John 7:37–38

"Every morning I lay out the pieces of my life on the altar and wait for your fire to fall upon my heart." Psalm 5:3

"I continue to pray for your love to grow and increase more and more until it overflows, bringing you into the rich revelation of spiritual insight in all things. And with this revelation you will come to know God fully as he imparts to you the deepest understanding of his ways." Philippians 1:9

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  510
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,178
  • Content Per Day:  1.46
  • Days Won:  1

16 minutes ago, In Him said:

I'm suddenly interested in reading The Passion Translation Bible, introduced to me through a very mature brother-in-Christ, who teaches from it, and is fluent in Hebrew and Greek himself.

"The Passion Translation Bible is a new, heart-level translation that expresses God’s fiery heart of love to this generation using Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic manuscripts—merging the emotion and life-changing truth of God’s Word."

"All you thirsty ones, come to me! Come to me and drink! Believe in me so that rivers of living water will burst out from within you, flowing from your innermost being just like the Scripture says!" John 7:37–38

"Every morning I lay out the pieces of my life on the altar and wait for your fire to fall upon my heart." Psalm 5:3

"I continue to pray for your love to grow and increase more and more until it overflows, bringing you into the rich revelation of spiritual insight in all things. And with this revelation you will come to know God fully as he imparts to you the deepest understanding of his ways." Philippians 1:9

Blessings as Christ is, each and every day grown and manifested in and through you, in a new and awesome way. 

Much love in Christ, Not me 

6 minutes ago, Not me said:

Blessings as Christ is, each and every day grown and manifested in and through you, in a new and awesome way. 

I truly thank God before His Throne upon every remembrance of you; for your discipling me, teaching and showing me the Love of God. As no brother ever did. In Word or deed. Blessings always.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  510
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,178
  • Content Per Day:  1.46

25 minutes ago, In Him said:

I truly thank God before His Throne upon every remembrance of you; for your discipling me, teaching and showing me the Love of God. As no brother ever did. In Word or deed. Blessings always.

Thank you, as you too are fondly thought of and being prayed for. That God as always would  be so lifted up in your life, as with all that call upon His name. 

Blessings, and praying that God does such a work in your life that all could see such a degree of Christ in your life, sun glasses would be needed, being around you. :)

Edited by Not me
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/25/1972

KJV.:)

28 minutes ago, Not me said:

Thank you, as you too are fondly thought of and being prayed for. That God as always would  be so lifted up in your life, as with all that call upon His name. 

Blessings, and praying that God does such a work in your life that all could see such a degree of Christ in your life, sun glasses would be needed, being around you. :)

Just so you know, your name is just first in the 'all' that I pray and thank God for...Episkopos, Pinacled, turtletwo et al … but the tears overflow its banks at times in gratitude and love for the Mighty Work He did in my heart through you in that season and chapter! Thank you for your prayers. As always.

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man has great power to prevail. James 5:16 Berean Study Bible

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

I use the KJV , but also have the NIV n ESV well to use as comparisons.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, GandalfTheWise said:

;)    Self-taught.  In terms of how long it took, I could say it either took over 30 years, or about 5 years.   I spent about 30 some years doing the typical approach to learning Greek and making no real progress.  I worked on memorizing tables, grammar, etc. and just couldn't seem to achieve any amount of reading skills.  To make a long story short, I was ready to give up when I ran across some independent language learners online and realized I was going at stuff all wrong.  In an hour of study, I was probably spending 55 minutes thinking in English about Greek and perhaps 5 minutes actually looking at Greek.   When I reversed that I started seeing real progress in comprehension.   I started using a combination of recordings (Spiros Zhodiate's modern greek pronunciation of the Greek NT) and following with an interlinear.  I found that over the course of weeks and months that my brain started internalizing greek.  I started with the gospel of John and just repeated the audio and followed it several times for each paragraph or so until it started to seem familiar and then moved to the next one.   Basically, I turned learning Greek into something similar to learning songs.  It's sort of like learning the happy birthday song or Christmas carols.  Via repetition, they just become more and more familiar.  I then used grammar and tables as reference tools to improve my understanding of things I was uncertain about.

Here's a link to learning this way I put on another site.  https://www.christianforums.com/threads/online-cf-experiment-can-you-learn-some-greek-i-think-you-can.8018322/#post-71531033

I would say I can now read greek in the same way I say I can ride a bicycle.  It is a skill that improves over time on a continuum.  You start off riding bike by trying not to fall off, depending on how much you practice and ride, you can get comfortable riding around the block, riding a few miles, or becoming a competitive on road or motocross rider.  When I started practicing reading, I was doing good to understand a fraction of what I saw.  Day by day, more and more things started to become internalized and familiar.  Now, I can look at most narrative genres (gospels, acts, and books such as Genesis, Samuel, Kings, etc. in the Septuagint) and understand most things I see.  In contrast, genres such as wisdom and prophetic books in the OT have a more challenging vocabulary because of so much symbolism and comparisons to random things in nature or other places.  I read the Septuagint in a parallel Greek/English version.  I spend most of my time reading the Greek with glances to the English as a quick look up for things I don't catch.

There is a nice recording of the gospel of John on the Librivox site by a woman (native Greek speaker I believe) with a pleasant voice and intonation (at least to my ear).  There is also a PDF version of the old out of copyright Interlinear Greek NT by George Ricker Berry available various places online.  The two of those sources are a nice starting point to just listen and follow for perhaps 10 minutes in the morning and evening.  I use Audacity (an audio editing software package) to play the audio so it's easy to pick sections to play and re-play.

From the Scripture, according to all Scripture,

how does someone following Jesus learn the truth different from the scribes and pharisees who were scholars extraordinaire in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek ?  (the scribes and pharisees, scholars, who sought to kill Jesus)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

2 hours ago, In Him said:

I think this is good as a private devotional in addition to the established translations. But for the serious bible student what is looked for is accuracy in the translation without interpretation.

It would be like an amplified bible....where extra words are added to the text to bring into focus a thought that may have not been clearly understood otherwise.

Of course there is a risk involved....because a person can get things wrong at times by adding in ideas that aren't there...but may also be not intended.

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

2 minutes ago, Pekoudah said:

I think this is good as a private devotional in addition to the established translations. But for the serious bible student what is looked for is accuracy in the translation without interpretation.

It would be like an amplified bible....where extra words are added to the text to bring into focus a thought that may have not been clearly understood otherwise.

Of course there is a risk involved....because a person can get things wrong at times by adding in ideas that aren't there...but may also be not intended.

The Amplified Bible,  like the Expanded Greek New Testament,  do not "add in ideas",  but rather use more English words as necessary to bring out more accurately the fuller more complete MEANING of the original language(s).

Most thoughts in the Bible are not clearly understood because the natural mind, the mind of man,  cannot naturally understand God's Thoughts.    A person must be born again,  by the Will of the Father from heaven,

in order to begin to start to be able to understand anything spiritual, according to God.