IGNORED

Is believing in Jesus enough for salvation according to John 3:16?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

6 hours ago, Billiards Ball said:

Sinners (who sometimes disobey God) are not saved by sometimes obeying God.

Those who God identifies as saved in the Bible,  what did they do to be saved ?   If someone else then did the same thing to be saved,  would someone else then be saved also ?  Or was it restricted as if by lottery or something, who could be saved ?

This is a kind of play on words.    "Sinners"  ......  "(who sometimes disobey God)"  .......   this fits everyone?

"are not saved by sometimes obeying God."    Most sinners are not saved at all, ever.

I think it is clear in Scripture that everyone is a sinner,  and only those who do what God Says for them to do to be saved are saved,  EVEN THOUGH they ONLY SOMETIMES obey God ,  right ?   Or do they always obey God ?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0

29 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

Those who God identifies as saved in the Bible,  what did they do to be saved ?   If someone else then did the same thing to be saved,  would someone else then be saved also ?  Or was it restricted as if by lottery or something, who could be saved ?

This is a kind of play on words.    "Sinners"  ......  "(who sometimes disobey God)"  .......   this fits everyone?

"are not saved by sometimes obeying God."    Most sinners are not saved at all, ever.

I think it is clear in Scripture that everyone is a sinner,  and only those who do what God Says for them to do to be saved are saved,  EVEN THOUGH they ONLY SOMETIMES obey God ,  right ?   Or do they always obey God ?

Those who God says are saved in the Bible, have the same rule/measure/restriction, in both testaments, "Trust God (not self)".

We, you and I, born again, are not "sinners" but "saints", but saints . . . sin. When teaching salvation sermons, I'll ask the congregation to raise hands for all those who are completely yielded to God continually in every aspect of their lives, their thought life and actions, pure from all sin. No hands are ever, ever raised. When I see a hand raised I'll know I'm seeing the heresy known as sinless perfectionism.

Sinners (and saints) aren't saved by sometimes obeying God, and they aren't saved by always obeying God, either. They are saved because of Christ's death and resurrection. When Billiards Ball stopped trusting BB, when BB trusted Christ instead, THAT WAS SALVATION.

"What God says for us to do to be saved", as you put it, is "Trust in the Lord Jesus Christ, then you will be saved, and your household (members who trust Christ will be saved, too)."

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  268
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  02/25/2004

On 6/18/2019 at 1:31 PM, LeeGreenForest said:

Is believing in Jesus enough for salvation according to John 3:16?

Yes... and adding anything of your own nullifies it for yourself. trying to do anything to appease God for your sin nullifies it for yourself. Believing in Jesus (that His sacrifice atones for sin) is all that is required for salvation.

Edited by NickyLouse
see strikethrough and subsequent revision.
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

8 minutes ago, NickyLouse said:

Yes... and adding anything of your own nullifies it for yourself.

Adding to God's Word is sin and He adds the plagues , as He Says....

also,  Taking away from God's Word is sin,  and He takes away someone's part in eternal life if they take away from His Word also.....    "nullifies it for yourself" by taking away His Warnings......

Be warned,   His Warnings are true - and He is Faithful to accomplish them as He Says.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

Adding to God's Word is sin and He adds the plagues , as He Says....

also,  Taking away from God's Word is sin,  and He takes away someone's part in eternal life if they take away from His Word also.....    "nullifies it for yourself" by taking away His Warnings......

Be warned,   His Warnings are true - and He is Faithful to accomplish them as He Says.

May I perish if I add anything to the atoning sacrifice of Yeshua to somehow think that it secures my salvation. His sacrifice alone is the only way for a sinner such as myself to have salvation. My "righteousness" before I was saved was filthy rags and accounted for nothing with respect to salvation or sanctification. My deeds built on the foundation of Christ after salvation add nothing to salvation. Nor does it in any way secure my salvation. 

• This is Worthy 2

8 minutes ago, NickyLouse said:

May I perish if I add anything to the atoning sacrifice of Yeshua to somehow think that it secures my salvation. His sacrifice alone is the only way for a sinner such as myself to have salvation. My "righteousness" before I was saved was filthy rags and accounted for nothing with respect to salvation or sanctification. My deeds built on the foundation of Christ after salvation add nothing to salvation. Nor does it in any way secure my salvation. 

So what happens then ,  if  as God's Word Describes,   you should happen to trample under foot the son of man,  and find that "no more sacrifice remains for your sin" ?   What happens then ?   Is God's Word Still Truth ? 

Or will God change it for you because you think He should ?

• Oy Vey! 1
  • Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

15 hours ago, simplejeff said:

So what happens then ,  if  as God's Word Describes,   you should happen to trample under foot the son of man,  and find that "no more sacrifice remains for your sin" ?   What happens then ?   Is God's Word Still Truth ? 

Or will God change it for you because you think He should ?

How can "no more sacrifice remains" apply to born agains? That would logically mean that a Christian, having then lost salvation, CAN NEVER BE SAVED AGAIN, BECAUSE NO MORE SACRIFICE REMAINS FOR THEIR SINS.

Is this your stance, "People can be saved, then lose salvation, but never repent and get saved again"?

Do you see one of the (many) problems with "losing salvation" as a doctrine?

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Shalom,

In the scripture, people could believe in the true gospel and taste the heavenly gift, they were real believers. Gifts came from the holy breath, they were "partakers of the holy ghost": 

Hebrew 6:4  For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 
Hebrew 6:5  And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come
Hebrew 6:6  If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. 

Some believers can really lose their faith, it is a real possibility. In Hebrew 10:26-31, we have the same kind of people, the problem is not the deliberated sin (God or your brother can forgive you through a true repentance), but to fall away from the plan of salvation, the faith. In this case, there is absolutely no repentance, let's give an example If a Jew lives in the light of the gospel and know the power of the holy breath, we can't dismiss the possibility he abandons his faith in Jesus and back to his old state, little by little through a new philosophy. Finally, this person could believe that sacrifices can save him for sins. A true believer who does something willingly, break the law, can die too, when he return in the condition he had before.

A christian who sin and try to change, can be saved. But whoever lost completely his savour will be thrown away, it is almost logic. Jesus was speaking to the multitudes and the disciples Mathew 5:13  Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men (Luke 14:34-35).

A non-believer is not the salt. If the salt is the true believer in the mind of Jesus, he can really lose his savour. we can also read 2 Peter 2:20-22.

May the Eternal guides us.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Coemgen said:

Shalom,

In the scripture, people could believe in the true gospel and taste the heavenly gift, they were real believers. Gifts came from the holy breath, they were "partakers of the holy ghost": 

Some believers can really lose their faith, it is a real possibility. In Hebrew 10:26-31, we have the same kind of people, the problem is not the deliberated sin (God or your brother can forgive you through a true repentance), but to fall away from the plan of salvation, the faith. In this case, there is absolutely no repentance, let's give an example If a Jew lives in the light of the gospel and know the power of the holy breath, we can't dismiss the possibility he abandons his faith in Jesus and back to his old state, little by little through a new philosophy. Finally, this person could believe that sacrifices can save him for sins. A true believer who does something willingly, break the law, can die too, when he return in the condition he had before.

A christian who sin and try to change, can be saved. But whoever lost completely his savour will be thrown away, it is almost logic. Jesus was speaking to the multitudes and the disciples Mathew 5:13  Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men (Luke 14:34-35).

A non-believer is not the salt. If the salt is the true believer in the mind of Jesus, he can really lose his savour. we can also read 2 Peter 2:20-22.

May the Eternal guides us.

I think there can be a misconception about whether repentance is required of salvation. There is nothing we can do in the affirmative or in the negative concerning salvation. We are, however, responsible for our repentance. When verse 6 speaks of falling away, it is not simply talking about a sin. It is speaking of an abandonment of the rewards allotted to those who would receive them by following closely to the Savior. If that occurs, there is no room for repentance. They have gotten so far away from the Savior that to return to follow Him would mean a renewal of salvation for which there is no additional sacrifice. When you look at repentance in the vein of sanctification rather than salvation, there is no conflict with this passage.

Looking to the tabernacle as the model for salvation and sanctification, you will see the brazen altar in the outer court as a symbol of salvation. However, in order to enter the holy of holies, the priest must wash at the brazen laver, symbolic of repentance and sanctification. If someone who has repented by way of true godly sorrow and has been walking by faith abandons that way of living, the passage in Hebrews is saying that they have exited the holy of holies and cannot re-enter because there is no longer a sacrifice for them. They have not lost salvation, but they have lost their rewards. We must never confuse sanctification (that requires our cooperation) with salvation. Otherwise, we would all surely lose our salvation.

On 6/26/2019 at 8:23 AM, Billiards Ball said:

How can "no more sacrifice remains" apply to born agains? That would logically mean that a Christian, having then lost salvation, CAN NEVER BE SAVED AGAIN, BECAUSE NO MORE SACRIFICE REMAINS FOR THEIR SINS.

This is what is written,  and verified,  in line with all Scripture.  (NOT "logically" as if by man's logic - God is not subject to man's anything,  including not subject to man's logic ---- even mankind's BEST WISDOM and KNOWLEDGE is foolishness leading to destruction,  as written in Scripture,  Yahuweh's Word, TRUTH.)

It is woefully grievous and breaks out hearts that so many people are deceived continually,  and that even some who once had steadfast faith turned away because of some trouble or test,  and failed to endure to the end.

"BE TERRIFIED"  lest anyone (else) does not make it to the end!   (written somewhere in Hebrews, etc)