IGNORED

Is believing in Jesus enough for salvation according to John 3:16?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

37 minutes ago, other one said:

Jesus can not be the Father...

"Unto us a child is born... the everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace."

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,079
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

3 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

"Unto us a child is born... the everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace."

May be what he is called but he is not "the Father"

YAHWEH is also not the Father.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  111
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/20/1966

Even the Demons believe , but tremble. so no there is more to salvation than just believing, otherwise the demons are all saved.

James 2:19-20 (KJV)
19  Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20  But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

On 6/27/2019 at 4:52 PM, Coemgen said:

Some believers can really lose their faith

What sort of faith are they losing? 

Our Apostle Paul says we need "faith working through love" (in Galatians 5:6); and "Love never fails," we have in 1 Corinthians 13:8.

So, a person needs to "first" trust in Jesus > Ephesians 1:12. So, believing means trusting and therefore getting God's result which is He corrects us > Hebrews 12:4-14 and He succeeds in keeping us >

"for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

So, it is wise to trust in Jesus by submitting our will to Him, for real correction and how He keeps us, and does not leave us and forsake us to how well we can keep our own selves, which is not well, at all. Of ourselves without Christ, we are sure to fail.

Edited by com7fy8
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Hello Com7fy8, 

What sort of faith are they losing? If you said that faith is trust, then they can lose the confiance. Of course, the love, light, wisdom, wisdom and word of God do not fail, but we must keep them in us day after day (2 Corinthians 4:16) by the holy breath. When king Saul, who had probably faith and love, disobeyed the Eternal and Samuel, he completely lost the throne for him and his descendants (1 Samuel 13:9-14). If his sin had been worse, he could have lost his life according to the law. .

Jesus gave the parable of the sower in Matthew 13:1-23, this is the seed of faith.
The seed needs holy water, because it can be weak, even if you sincerely believe.
Faith in love IS this love to obey the commandments in your new heart :
 1 Corinthians 7:19 - 1 John 2:2-5 - Revelation 14:12. Love your God.

The man Ieshoua (Jesus) wanted to do his will, but above all his father's will (Matthew 26:42; Colossians 4:12). And Philippians 2:13 represents for me the supremacy of God, he will fulfill his plan, his promise, he guides us and changes our heart rightly, but he leaves freedom in hoping to save us (1 Timothy 2:4).

It is not too easy, Jesus said the gate is strait (Mat 7:13) and the Philippians 2:14 said : "do all things without murmurs or disputes".
Then, the faith can be irregular and suffocated by pleasure (thorns). You mentioned Heb 12:14, the following verses are:

Hebrew 12:15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;
Hebrew 12:16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
Hebrew 12:17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

Hope it can help us ? May the Eternal guide us.

• Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

LeeGreenForest

Maybe you should take a look at John 1:12,

"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to
become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: "

This verse helps me greatly on convincing myself that I'm saved forever, i.e. eternal security.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Focus on "... believe on his name...",

His name is Jesus, the Christ, the Son of God, Saviour of the world...

so you don't have to be perfect to stay saved, once you receive him, you become the sons of God, and that means eternal security.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,644
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 6/18/2019 at 3:31 PM, LeeGreenForest said:

Is believing in Jesus enough for salvation according to John 3:16?

Enough? Salvation for belief. What else is there?

John 3:16–18 (AV)
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Ephesians 2:8–10 (AV)
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

1 Corinthians 2:4–5 (AV)
4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God

1 Corinthians 1:17–31 (AV)
17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Simple.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.80

without going back to read all the posts I believe the question is believing in and of it self enough for salvation  according to John 3:16

That depends. The thief next to Jesus had no time to work out his salvation. He was genuinely sorry for his sins. It says in psalm 51 ' a broken and contrite hear God shall not despise. Jesus extended His love for him.

Not all of us will be in the throws of death when we choose to believe in Him, truly repenting of his old life of sin. Jesus said the if you love me you will keep my commandments.  This says that believing is not enough because it requires action on our part. This means let our changed life prove us out. 

Edited by Mike Mclees
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

I believe so my friend. We are told, many times in the Good Book that the key to salvation is believin' n the Lord Jesus, n repentance of our sin. It don't get much easier than that so ya just gotta know how much the Lord loves us to make it so simple!

Just my two bits  JJ