IGNORED

How do you deal biblically with lingering guilt and regret over past sin?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I have already confessed my sin multiple times to God, and has also apologized to the person I did wrong to. Even so, I still feel regret and guilt over it in the past year. What is the biblical way to deal with this?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,298
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Days Won:  0

On 19 June 2019 at 12:59 PM, Tyel said:

I have already confessed my sin multiple times to God, and has also apologized to the person I did wrong to. Even so, I still feel regret and guilt over it in the past year. What is the biblical way to deal with this?

Every time you bfeel regret, thank  God that he has forgiven you for that sin and ask for the grace to believe that Jesus can forgive every sin.

1john1:9. is the biblical principal, which I've out lined above.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

On 6/19/2019 at 6:59 AM, Tyel said:

I think there are two aspects to things like this, first forgiving ourselves and second moving on.

The first is in effect forgiving ourselves in the same way God has forgiven us or that we have forgiven other people.  We often hold things against ourselves that we would have long before forgiven someone else for.  We can tell ourselves in our head that we are forgiven but it hasn't registered with our heart yet.  At times we might need God's healing touch in our lives for dealing with things like this.

The second is that as new creations in Christ, our lives are transformed and those things we have done simply become a smaller and smaller part of the totality of our lives as we move forward in Christ.  It doesn't make them go away, but it makes them less and less significant in the big picture of our lives as months and years and decades go by.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

On 6/19/2019 at 12:59 PM, Tyel said:

Shalom Tyel,

First of all, great job for not only repenting but also apologising to the person directly.

There are two possibilities as to why the guilt remains.  It's either from Elohim or you.

From Elohim - If your guilty conscience remains in place from Elohim, it could be that you have not addressed the "meta-reason" for the sin.  For example - Perhaps you stole something small from your neighbour.  You then returned it and apologised to them and Elohim, but the meta-reason of you being greedy and envious hasn't been dealt with.  Another example could be that you speak rudely to a brother, and apologise for doing so, but the meta-reason of your bitterness or anger have not been addressed.  So it's not just the situation we need to address but the heart attitude.  Now, if that doesn't apply the alternative may be true...

From You - If you cannot forgive yourself you need to learn how to and quickly!  If you hold something against yourself, not only will it cause you pain in this life, but it could cause you serious trouble in the next.  We are asked to forgive sins and, for people we have not forgiven, the charge will stand for assessment on Judgement Day.   Therefore, do not risk accusing yourself or let your flesh continue to beat you up.  Whatever your sin is, it is not greater that the Lord Jesus' atoning sacrifice.  This is where your faith must come in and override the doubts you have.  Believe in His gift of forgiveness and remember the "Christian's Bar of Soap" - 1 John 1:9.  Trust, my friend.  And when those doubts arise, having known you have repented from your errors, have faith and let the charge against yourself go.

Love & Shalom

• Loved it! 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

On 6/19/2019 at 4:59 AM, Tyel said:

You only have to confess your sin once. That was good that you apologized. You are not forgiving yourself. You need to do that. Just move on.

• Thanks 1