• Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

2 hours ago, Footprint said:

I'm sorry but neither of those times include "pray as you bathe."

God bless!

You’d stroke out if you knew what I did.....and still do.....The God I know couldn’t care less...

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

C'mon... :foot-stomp:

Lol! Why not? I pray throughout the day or night no matter what i am doing. I think as long as your heart and mind are tuned in to God it is fine. I pray whenever alone. There is nobody on earth who can listen to me as God does. He made me so He knows me best. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

@Melinda12 Go back to page one, and take note my post was to @Footprint and not you, sister. God bless!

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

@Melinda12 Just a P.S. I find no problem with hymns whilst in the shower :shower: or the tub. By the way, the audio in some shower stalls have great reverb! lol 

• Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

For a while I had to pray about my attitude when I went to church.  The worship leader couldn't sing on key.  The sermons are excellent.  Often its is our own attitudes that are offensive to God and we need to humble ourselves and love people, whether they are lovable or not, and accept them with all their faults.  

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,242
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

5 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Now i find myself asking, do i really want or need to go to church on Sundays? I found people there irritating and tedious.

5 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I prefer to have a leisurely get up on a Sunday. Pray. Read Bible in the bathroom while my bath runs.

Like others have already mentioned, Sunday, or any day you decide to gather/assemble
with other believers for fellowship, prayer and worship, bible study, is what ever you make it.
If you were a member of my church (assembled believers), you wouldn't have a chance.

You would have to get up early, to get to your hour of bible study first, unless like my
wife, earlier, to prepare the room because she's the teacher.
After bible study, in the assembly, listen to various leaders making announcements concerning
children activities, church school, kid camps, men's prayer breakfast, men's work day, etc,etc.
Then, worship, singing, and a message from our pastor. Monday is visitation. Wednesday morning women's
bible study, Wednesday night supper (most times) and fellowship and pastor study massage.
Saturday is men's work day and fellowship.(maybe breakfast)
This does not include a bazillion other activities, available to whomever is led. (We drink plenty coffee!)
Visitation, shut in visits, nursing home visits, elderly home repair, church grounds improvement and maintenance,etc.

This whole week, my wife, and daughter, and granddaughter, participate in Vacation bible school. (Every year)
They spent the last two weeks getting their classroom outrageously decorated (jungle theme) for the kids.
There may be as many as two hundred kids attending, most of which never heard the gospel.
Parents enjoy the half day of freedom after dropping the kids off at church.
This is one of the greatest evangelism opportunity for the local community.
My wife has had her own class for the last thirty five years. Think of all those sheaves :)
The following week, many will be needed to visit parents of the children who were saved who want to be baptized.
This presents another opportunity to share the gospel then with the parents.

Honestly, without my weekly men's bible study, I'd feel lost out.
The church is around a hundred and thirty years old.
Think of all the saved souls. (all our kids:)
God has a good church for you, Melinda

Your works are a testimony to you 'nearness to God.'

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,298
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Days Won:  0

11 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I used to go without fail. Then illness meant i stopped for several weeks.

Instead i read my bible daily, pray and do my own study and prayer. I make time for it and treasure it.

Now i find myself asking, do i really want or need to go to church on Sundays? I found people there irritating and tedious. I was always rushing to get there, being roped in for various duties and being ignored and sidelined for other roles that i would have loved. The pastor was a pompous man, not inspiring, just did his job. I sat next to people who fidgeted, were ignorant and closed minded about God's Word. They chatted as if it was a social club. I was growing fast as a passionate Christian but getting little support. I enjoyed the hymns best and preaching kind of. I never felt the pastor truly spoke it from the heart.

Now i think - who needs it? I don't. How was all that bringing me nearer to God?  I prefer to have a leisurely get up on a sunday. Pray. Read Bible in the bathroom while my bath runs. Pray as i bathe - why not? Prepare a nice early roast and be all relaxed listening to hymns or watching 'Songs of Praise' later instead of a rushed mad thing! Enjoy my Sabbath.

So, my motivation to attend church has gone. I intend only to go for special occasions. Am i wrong? Is it God's command to collectively worship? Or is that just a personal choice?

Have you talked with the pastor? Is he going through the motion or is his faith real?

How does he and the 'movers and shakers' of your church see you? Do they care, have they called because you haven't been there on sunday?

We go to church to worship, to encourage others, to be challenged and not to feel good.

Please talk to your pastor, explain what/how you are feeling. If he can't help you start checking out other churches in the area.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79

Shalom @Melinda12

16 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

So, my motivation to attend church has gone. I intend only to go for special occasions. Am i wrong? Is it God's command to collectively worship? Or is that just a personal choice? 

I will not have a popular opinion by I will share it with you anyway!

The church today, in general, is not what it used to be.  It can even become detrimental to new and experienced Christians with the lukewarm teachings, compromised views and lack of true love.  Again, in general.  

The state of the church today seems to have been prophecised by the Messiah, in some of His parables and in His letters to the Seven Churches in Revelation.  So, of course, it didn't escape God's notice that the Church would turn out like this today.  

Therefore, if you are feeling like you should spend time away from the Church and you are feeling your quality of time with Yahweh is improving, as is your devotional time - do it!  It's important to have a clear conscience before God and, if he is encouraging you to leave for a purpose, you should follow.  Otherwise, how could you answer Him on that Great Day?  You might say: "Well Father, so-and-so said I should go to church because of this and that".  Then He may reply "Yes, but I put it in your heart to leave and we got closer in those times.  Why did you go against that based on what so-and-so said?".  

Despite how it may look to others, despite how it may seem to break traditions - walk as you feel lead, as long as your relationship with Yahweh improves and your love for the Word increases.   Some will try to get you to stay in church, either from genuine concern or ulterior motive.  But if you follow what the Word says, listen to the Spirit and walk with a clear conscience of your decisions - don't let anyone judge you with their "Christianity" standards.

Love & Shalom

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,242
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

1 hour ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Therefore, if you are feeling like you should spend time away from the Church and you are feeling your quality of time with Yahweh is improving, as is your devotional time - do it! 

Kind of difficult to me, to start going by my feelings, instead of the word.
I also have had my times of feeling I ought to leave, it's getting to be a bummer, am I and family  really growing here at this church?
I think everybody feels that way at times, in even the best church.
But, you don't jump ship because of leaks. Fix the leaks.
But again, what does the word say?  Assemble together. Believers, helping, encouraging, supporting, teaching, etc.
I have seen a few that have decided to do what you have advised others to do.
Leave church and start a smaller group of believers, home worship, great enthusiasm, doing it biblical, etc.
Eventually they have all fizzled out. They learn quickly what it really takes to be disciplined, motivated,
and willing to put forth the effort to keep the group going, using your home, and those problems, babysitters,
refreshments/food, parking, cleaning up etc. Every week, and more.
Then, who is going to decide scripture interpretations when they arise? Look at this forum, to get an idea.
Who will be the leader/decision maker? group hours, whose home, how long etc? Seems like you will be creating a mini church.
I also like the idea of a small group of like minded believers, praising the Lord, studying and praying together,
sowing seed of the gospel message, deciding for ourselves how we will serve God.

But I personally do not know anybody first hand, or know of anybody who might know, who has had success,
in a home group church, serving God as the word would have us do. That stayed the course.
I would like to hear of one, that someone actually KNOWS about, and hear their method that works.
Not hearsay. And has some years behind them.

So many here have been saved in a regular old, and not at all perfect church, with all the church problems.
When all the people that FEEL they ought to leave,then leave,  what happens to those left behind, the other
parts of the body? Does the life of a church depend solely upon the shepherd?
According to scripture, we all are a part. Called to a local body to serve, their part. Somewhere. Not home alone, kicked back,
chilling out, felling good about not being ask to do so much at that old church.
Then, you have joined the monastery, and become a monk.
Why not, be a part that edifies, lifts up, improves, strengthens.
If you have the ability and means to do so.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,042
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

15 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Lol! Why not? I pray throughout the day or night no matter what i am doing. I think as long as your heart and mind are tuned in to God it is fine. I pray whenever alone. There is nobody on earth who can listen to me as God does. He made me so He knows me best. 

it's not necessarily what you get out of going to church....  I say it is more of what you bring to others while you are there.   Sometimes that's really what is important.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1