Sunday church attendance

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

My O my, on first reading I thought you went to my church... but for the minister. 

I do not agree with our minister , but love the “old” hymns that thought the Bible in the song, and if one never went to church they heard the gospel message in them.

I too sometimes wonder if it is Witt going to church but then I think perhaps if I can be used by God in some way He would like me to be , then it is worth it.

Must admit I find taking the Bible into the bathroom hard but then what has God not seen of us... He sparked life in our mother’s body when they came together and He watch that life grow and saw our birth!He knows us better than we do because He has everything we have done in our lives... and is it we who are so shocked or is God?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

19 minutes ago, Littlelambseativy said:

My O my, on first reading I thought you went to my church... but for the minister. 

I do not agree with our minister , but love the “old” hymns that brought out  the Bible in the song, and if one never went to church they heard the gospel message in them.

I too sometimes wonder if it is wirth going to church but then I think perhaps if I can be used by God in some way He would like me to be , then it is worth it.

Must admit I find taking the Bible into the bathroom hard but then what has God not seen of us... He sparked life in our mother’s body when our parents came together and He watch that life grow and saw our birth!He knows us better than we do because He has everything we have done in our lives... and is it we who are so shocked or is God?

Sorry for typos dinner was ready

Edited by Littlelambseativy

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,175
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

5 hours ago, Sower said:

I also like the idea of a small group of like minded believers, praising the Lord, studying and praying together,
sowing seed of the gospel message, deciding for ourselves how we will serve God.

But I personally do not know anybody first hand, or know of anybody who might know, who has had success,
in a home group church, serving God as the word would have us do. That stayed the course.
I would like to hear of one, that someone actually KNOWS about, and hear their method that works.
Not hearsay. And has some years behind them.

Hi Sower,

I know what you mean as in mini-church organisation. However the small `group` does work. This is how we do it over here in Oz. Hubby and I helped in different groups across the valley here, (over the years, as I was a teacher and moved to different towns) Apostolic, Pentecostal, Anglican,..... & learnt a lot from the good folk there. Hubby was elder or along side the minister, & I taught ladies & music leader.

Eventually about 15 years ago the Lord called us to just `mentoring,` others. I have CFS,(Chronic fatigue Syndrome) & thus have only so much energy. So I decided to just focus on mentoring some ladies. Now these came to me from different towns around and over the years I have taught them the `Eternal Purposes` of God, which is what I have been taught in the Apostolic Church I was brought up in. The ladies received the truth and then started mentoring others. Hubby is more the practical one and has various ones that he helps practically and with God`s words of wisdom. 

I wanted to bring the different ones together for a `formal` meeting but it never came about. And I can see that God desired these people to reach out into their community and not get locked into `a group.` 

Each of the people have tried to work within the system of the organisation, but of course you are limited as to what you can do. Operating one to one, has produced much fruit over the years, with growth in people and their working with the Lord to mentor others. This does not happen so much in an organisation as people tend to leave it to the leaders or program. However people need someone in their daily lives, where they are struggling and where they need that word of wisdom for them to reach out.

I realise that this is not what everyone is called to, but would encourage others to not rely on man`s system, (even though going to a meeting) but learn to rely on the Holy Spirit. eg, If the Lord is asking you to visit someone in need on a Sunday morning, do you say, "Oh no, I need to go to the meeting," or do you go and visit. Habit can be good or it can drown out the voice of God. Where is our focus -

`...holding fast to the Head, from whom all the Body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligament, grows with the increase that is from God.` (Col. 2: 19)

The Apostle Paul was referring to those who were `not holding fast to the Head,` and I just emphasised the `holding fast to the head,` otherwise you can get driven by an organisation to their agenda.

Marilyn.    

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Marilyn C said:

If the Lord is asking you to visit someone in need on a Sunday morning, do you say, "Oh no, I need to go to the meeting," or do you go and visit. Habit can be good or it can drown out the voice of God. Where is our focus

Ha, that would be the least possible deterrent to keep me from being used of God for His purposes.
I was raised RCC for thirty years. Sunday was a "holy day of obligation" : )    
I often skip Sunday service just to say to myself, "it's Not an obligation" It is a desire/need.

I believe I'm way past church tradition, for tradition sake. When something works though, I don't fix it.
Brushing your teeth every day is a good habit. Healthy teeth.
Reading/studying scripture daily is also a good habit.

I believe our church tradition, of weekly 'habits', is spiritually healthy.
Worship, bible study, shepherds message to the flock, fellowship(eating), are only the backbone of our activity.
There is so much more, staying informed of those in need, and who of us is available, prayer and praise time, etc.

The structure is what you make it, like you Marilyn, and your hubby. Your style works for you. Praise God giving your part in the body.
I do not pretend most traditional churches are filled with the spirit. But many are. And they can be a lifeline.
After salvation, I've only known one church, and here almost forty years. God has never gave me the OK to leave.
And my wife is too involved/happy to considering leaving. And you know, if moms happy, everybody is happy.

I remember Dr. James Dobson 'Focus on the Family' saying that if your church hasn't programs/activities for the kids/youth,
find one that does. Move your address if you have to, it's that important. We home schooled our children,
and they are now doing same. The church provided some social setting for our children. They are now believers all. Involved.

Thank you Marilyn for your testimony. Doing what you do with CFS must be tough, but then women are tough (one raised me and six more siblings : )
I think it cool how you found your calling, taking  your illness and then God to use you for His purpose, to help others. God's ways/our ways.
I have always been independent, sometimes a loner.  I would fit into a small group setting, with other like minded.
But where God led my wife and myself, our church, works. So I encourage others to find the one, and work at it, improve it, bless and be blessed.
There are solid churches out there. Do your homework.

Why not, here on Worthy Marilyn, don't those like yourself, start a regular discussion group, pros and cons of small family fellowship church, assembly.
Those who are doing it, those who are considering it. Give testimony by those who are involved in this style of church.
What all would need to be considered, to start one, etc.
Anybody interested??

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

There is a joy in worshipping the Lord as a body of believers, together. It is only in recent years that I have come to see the joy in worship rather than what I can get out of it with a sermon etc. 

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  761
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

We r to fellowship with other believers of like faith. Most churches are what i call monologue oratory halls. One guy talks. The rest listen. Everyone pays him. Learn a lot but this is not the gathering scripture describes. 

A home or Village Inn setting would be more conducive for what the NT calls the 'assembly'.

The paid middle man absent and Jesus, the true middle man,present working His gifts through his people to each other. Thats 'church'! 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,523
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

It is okay to be restless. It is okay to be bored with a sermon, It is okay to not get anything out of a hymn. It is! But it is NOT okay to separate from the local body of Christ Jesus and to stop encouraging the local bodies elsewhere. The body is not a building it is the individual that has joined with other individuals to make a corporate body for specific purpose, to worship God th eFather  through God the Son and by  The Holy Spirit.

God will indeed cause restlessness. He will make many of us go  to other places of corporate worship gathering, and for His good purposes not necessarily that  the individual moved may be more comfortable.

If restless, then perhaps it is time to pray more constantly even while in a tub, where do You want me Father? Where Am I being prepared to go? Help me to have the willingness to make  such a move to give up what I have, all if necessary, but please send me where I may be used of You to honor you  in obedience and in love of You.

God has given this reluctant traveler his marching orders, and more than once, and after I was comfortable at my station too. There would be a pull  and a push and soon there would be a swift kick . And I was off to where God will have me to be. I just recently got another kick. Love my old church body but God has lead me to move along, and I love absolutely love the new to me body of Christ too.  

Please all,  don't sit alone if physically able to go to be part of a local body of Christ. and please  don't miss out on being moved along if that is what God is willing. Just don't sit  alone, it doesn't work out all that well. I tried it, didn't work out well for me either, not by comparison to when I finally got on to doing what God would have  of me to do to His Glory alone. I was put back on the path and back into the race each instructed to run as though to win it. I find running the race so much more productive when I am with others that are running, and running hard. too. it is invigorating. May God bless all with a new breath that will allow each endurance to be running as though to win. 1 Corinthians 9: 23, 24, 25

HOW THEN SHALL WE RUN? https://www.desiringgod.org/messages/how-then-shall-we-run

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,523
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Bored with a sermon? How about praying to God that as the speaker shares of what he is led to share well and that the person God wills that talk to move will hear and heed it.  

Be patient, and persistently in prayer that there is the perfect good coming from the  "sermon". Pray that if led to be a part of what the need is that the opportunity  will not be missed, and another will have to fill the need. Pray to be readied by the boring sermon. Pray hard to then refocus on the boring talk so that if  the opportunity does come to be part of  helping another, because of the sermon's effect on another that it  will be better recognized for having listened to it in the first place. 

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,441
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Matthew 18:20 (KJV) For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

We congregate together to lift one another up and fellowship and worship together. As a group (church) the body of Christ, a place to come and worship and learn the word of God in a community. To serve Christ as one body (the church) in our communities to share the Gospel of Christ to those unsaved and be an ensample. That they may hear the Gospel of Christ and might be saved. To help those in the community and our missionaries with our collective resources and show by example the love of Jesus. And give back a portion of what Christ has entrusted us with for the Kingdom, Honor and Glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

To me, there's nothing better or more satisfying than to come together in like mind and rejoice in our Salvation and praising the Lord. Collectively singing hymn's of praise, honor, glory and thanksgiving to Him that did it all. Lifting one another up in those times when we might get down, or the fiery darts of Satan wants to make our lives miserable and unproductive.  

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

On 6/19/2019 at 3:52 PM, Melinda12 said:

So my motivation to attend church has gone. I intend only to go for special occasions. Am i wrong? Is it God's command to collectively worship? Or is that just a personal choice? 

Yes, it's God's command to collectively worship. That is, to pray for and with one another, to support and encourage and care for one another. It's not God's command to appear in a building every Sunday morning. That's something that has evolved over time, but I will let that be. 

If God is speaking to you through your personal time with Him alone and you feel that you are growing, it's possible that this is what He wants, even if it's only for a season.  Relax and let Him guide you but be sure you're listening closely. Don't depend on others to tell you what you should do when you have His guidance for the asking. 

Going to church or not going to church doesn't prove anything. Only the Spirit of God within you makes you a Christian in the fullness of that term. 

• Loved it! 1