• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  6

On 6/19/2019 at 5:52 PM, Melinda12 said:

I used to go without fail. Then illness meant i stopped for several weeks.

Instead i read my bible daily, pray and do my own study and prayer. I make time for it and treasure it. 

Now i find myself asking, do i really want or need to go to church on Sundays? I found people there irritating and tedious. I was always rushing to get there, being roped in for various duties and being ignored and sidelined for other roles that i would have loved. The pastor was a pompous man, not inspiring, just did his job. I sat next to people who fidgeted, were ignorant and closed minded about God's Word. They chatted as if it was a social club. I was growing fast as a passionate Christian but getting little support. I enjoyed the hymns best and preaching kind of. I never felt the pastor truly spoke it from the heart. 

Now i think - who needs it? I don't. How was all that bringing me nearer to God?  I prefer to have a leisurely get up on a sunday. Pray. Read Bible in the bathroom while my bath runs. Pray as i bathe - why not? Prepare a nice early roast and be all relaxed listening to hymns or watching 'Songs of Praise' later instead of a rushed mad thing! Enjoy my Sabbath. 

So, my motivation to attend church has gone. I intend only to go for special occasions. Am i wrong? Is it God's command to collectively worship? Or is that just a personal choice? 

I don’t believe you are wrong. And if someone quotes you Hebrews 10:25 to you (not  forsaking our assembling together...) why can’t you assemble here at Worthy? I’m sure your conversation here  even for one hour a week is way more beneficial than the one hour at church on Sunday.  

Be strong in your conviction and don’t let guilt rule you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

One hour anywhere,   or even 50 hours online,  almost never if ever count as true fellowship in relationship as described fully in Scripture.    Responsibility,  accountability,  living stones fitted together,   laying down lives daily , self-sacrificially living daily,   none of this is seen in one hour a week in person,  nor even in seven days a week online/ internet.....

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 6/19/2019 at 7:10 PM, Marilyn C said:

The format of the public meeting run by religious organisations, has only been around for a few centuries.

Or perhaps four hundred centuries or so.

13 hours ago, Spock said:

why can’t you assemble here at Worthy?

Interesting question. Does worthy qualify in any manner as a local body  of Christ? Is there any memorial the remembrance of Christ Jesus (Lord's Supper or Communion)? Is there the taking up of offerings to God? Is there sacrificial giving  to the poorer church bodies and to the church's missionaries? Is there additional church planting? Is there there joining togther to help the widows and the orphans of WCF? Is there corporate praise singing making a joyous noise to the Lord in worship? Is there the reading  of the word of God?

Asembly is less a playing tag, though tag is fun, with others. Assembly has defined purpose that seems quite different to me than what is Worthy Christian Forums. I doubt that WCF's intent is to be a church body.

When the board is online is the Holy Spirit in the midst of it?

I do love the fascinating appeal of playing online tag with individuals from around this earth. I appreciate the efforts of George and the ministry very much, but is this church?

Church tends to humble me, leaves me in awe of my creator. Church makes me contrite, breaking down my obstinate pride that interferes with worship of God. Church provides me with the physical envelopment of the Holy Spirit, brings me to tears as praise of my Lord jesus is sung. Brings me to prayer as we send out our own into many places on earth to establish or plant local churches, (not local WCF's).

Worthy is due financial support if one gains from it, and so is the case with the local church body. Everyone is worth their wage.

To me worthy is not church, not an assembly, and church is not a forum a free for all of ideas running amuck as can be the case on any given tread here. There is order with God there is order with Christ's Church. Some of us have trouble with order, we just don't submit easily  into receiving and doing our gift's from the Holy Spirit, that we may be excellent bond-servants of Christ Jesus. For it is hard work, not all play and whoppie hurrah times.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

3 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Interesting question. Does worthy qualify in any manner as a local body  of Christ? Is there any memorial the remembrance of Christ Jesus (Lord's Supper or Communion)? Is there the taking up of offerings to God? Is there sacrificial giving  to the poorer church bodies and to the church's missionaries? Is there additional church planting? Is there there joining togther to help the widows and the orphans of WCF? Is there corporate praise singing making a joyous noise to the Lord in worship? Is there the reading  of the word of God?

Asembly is less a playing tag, though tag is fun, with others. Assembly has defined purpose that seems quite different to me than what is Worthy Christian Forums. I doubt that WCF's intent is to be a church body.

I do love the fascinating appeal of playing online tag with individuals from around this earth. I appreciate the efforts of George and the ministry very much, but is this church?

Church tends to humble me, leaves me in awe of my creator. Church makes me contrite, breaking down my obstinate pride that interferes with worship of God. Church provides me with the physical envelopment of the Holy Spirit, brings me to tears as praise of my Lord jesus is sung. Brings me to prayer as we send out our own into many places on earth to establish or plant local churches, (not local WCF's).

Worthy is due financial support if one gains from it, and so is the case with the local church body. Everyone is worth their wage.

To me worthy is not church, not an assembly, and church is not a forum a free for all of ideas running amuck as can be the case on any given tread here. There is order with God there is order with Christ's Church. Some of us have trouble with order, we just don't submit easily  into receiving and doing our gift's from the Holy Spirit, that we may be excellent bond-servants of Christ Jesus. For it is hard work, not all play and whoppie hurrah times.

I have a rebuttal if you don’t mind....

i do believe when the early church began many were congregating at homes, some even underground, not some building.  And, a church is Not a building...it is people who share a common bond....like worshipping God through Christ. My wife and I began opening our home for fellowship and throughout the years we have had anywhere from no one show up to 6 other people show up. It depends on them, but our routine is still the same. Here it is....

As for giving money....much of what one gives to a building goes to their overhead as you know.  Not saying this is wrong, but my wife and I now exclusively give to what we believe are WORTHY causes .....like World Vision and funding Missionaries especially in Muslim countries.  Because none of our money goes to fund overhead of a building  90% can go for the causes I named. 

As for singing songs, my wife and I honor the 4th commandment and this celebrate Shabbat, thus when the sun goes down on Friday night, we put on about one hour of praise music as we enter into Shabbat Saturday. Sometimes that can grow to two hours because we don’t want to stop the worship and prayer. We follow this up on Saturday morning with Bible readings in both the OT and NT with intense study. We also put on a YouTube video like Andy Woods or Jack Kelley. We do this from 9:00-12:00 every Saturday.  We usually have Communion quarterly. 

I could go on, but you get the point.  Now, I’m not saying all this to persuade you to start your own home fellowship...you can go to “church” as you see fit. I’m merely exposing you to other ways to have church. There is more than one way to skin a cat you know.  I don’t think you should put God in a box by insisting every believer should have to run out to put their one hour in at some building. I have a feeling 95% of those people are not as enriched in their weekly worship as my wife and I are. 

Thanks for listening....I hope I didn’t come across in a negative manner. 

Spock

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

11 hours ago, Neighbor said:

No.  As you noted, and more.

The purpose of forums is to gather as many members (unbelievers ) as possible, for popularity or for numbers/ profit? (no idea) .   Same here at worthy.  Few who visit are excluded.  Same on the very humongous catholic forums - millions of members in them over all,  few if any saved.

A meeting of Ekklesia excludes many,  and does not permit worldly carnal practices or stories to be promoted and repeated and continued.   There's no confusion in a faithful community about what is truth and what is not - it is clearly and plainly taught and practiced,  and wickednesses are not permitted,  nor any kind of idolatry, etc....

47 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

Few who visit are excluded.  Same on the very humongous catholic forums - millions of members in them over all,  few if any saved.

Hi jeff, I don't think I want to be identified with that thought particularly, for I have no idea who is saved who is not. I do welcome personally  the many that are invited by the existence of someone's ministry to have opportunity to hear the gospel of Jesus. But a substitute for the church,? Nope there is none. The church are the ones called by the Holy Spirit that hear and heed that call and gather in obedience to go about the work duty assigned as soldiers in Christ Jesus. It is not a format,  nor a building, but a building is a convenient place to gather and to organize the doing of the commands given us as "members"  of a body, of which not all are the head, instead each having  gifts that meld into a cohesive local body all to the glory of our creator by whom all things that are  have been made.

A "member" that stays at home alone is about as useful to the body that is Christ's as an amputated hand might be. Might as well toss it down the incinerator shaft with the other amputated limbs. Well not really, but it that member missing from action could sure use prayer from the rest of the body of Christ and encouragement to get back up into the fight for there is a fight  going on.