IGNORED

Who is the Holy Spirit and the purpose in the trinity?

Journey365

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/27/1943

The Doctrine of the Trinity is one of the most confusing and divisive issues in all of Christianity. It is certainly never mentioned in the Bible

The New Catholic Encyclopedia: "The formulation ‘one God in three persons’ was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century. But it is precisely this formula that has first claim to the title of the Trinitarian dogma. Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective." – (1967), Vol. XIV, p. 299.

For many years I have struggled to understand the doctrine of the trinity. To say it is a mystery that we are not expected to comprehend simply doesn't cut it for me. Some time ago I discovered that in the original formulation of the trinity, the word in Greek which we traditionally have interpreted to mean "persons", as in "three persons in one God" is actually the same word used to designate the mask worn by actors in Greco-Roman theater. We cannot call this a "person" but we can certainly call it a "persona". This insight has put a totally new spin on the entire concept for me. We finite creatures cannot possibly hope to describe our transcendent God, but we can speak of the modes or roles or personae that assist our understanding. God as creator/father, God as spirit/sustainer, and the glimpse of God we obtain in the life and teaching of Jesus. In other words, trinity is not a description of God but is, rather, a description of the human experience of God in the language of fourth century Greek speaking Christianity. We are not limited to just these three. Any persona that promotes our understanding of and our relationship to God is completely acceptable. God could be mother as well as father. God could be Wisdom / Word / Allah / Krishna / Manitou. God's possibilities are endless. These are merely our human images of God. God is, as always, ONE.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,829
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, 101G said:

yes, this is correct, but if we read futher, we read this. Acts 5:7 "And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in. Acts 5:8 "And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much. Acts 5:9 "Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.Acts 5:10 "Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband."

is there two Spirits in the Godhead? no. the Spirit of the Lord is the Holy Spirit, the same person. 

PICJAG. 

Acts 5:3-4 proves the Holy Spirit is a member of the Godhead. He is also God as is the Father, and the Word, who became flesh.

3, But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the HOLY GHOST, and to keep back part of the price of the land? 
  4, Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto me, BUT UNTO GOD.

4 minutes ago, Takoda said:

The Doctrine of the Trinity is one of the most confusing and divisive issues in all of Christianity. It is certainly never mentioned in the Bible

The New Catholic Encyclopedia: "The formulation ‘one God in three persons’ was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century. But it is precisely this formula that has first claim to the title of the Trinitarian dogma. Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective." – (1967), Vol. XIV, p. 299.

For many years I have struggled to understand the doctrine of the trinity. To say it is a mystery that we are not expected to comprehend simply doesn't cut it for me. Some time ago I discovered that in the original formulation of the trinity, the word in Greek which we traditionally have interpreted to mean "persons", as in "three persons in one God" is actually the same word used to designate the mask worn by actors in Greco-Roman theater. We cannot call this a "person" but we can certainly call it a "persona". This insight has put a totally new spin on the entire concept for me. We finite creatures cannot possibly hope to describe our transcendent God, but we can speak of the modes or roles or personae that assist our understanding. God as creator/father, God as spirit/sustainer, and the glimpse of God we obtain in the life and teaching of Jesus. In other words, trinity is not a description of God but is, rather, a description of the human experience of God in the language of fourth century Greek speaking Christianity. We are not limited to just these three. Any persona that promotes our understanding of and our relationship to God is completely acceptable. God could be mother as well as father. God could be Wisdom / Word / Allah / Krishna / Manitou. God's possibilities are endless. These are merely our human images of God. God is, as always, ONE.

Jesus called the Holy Spirit, "HE," This statement alone proves the Holy Ghost is a separate and distinct member of the Godhead.

John 14:26, But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Content Count:  187
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

2 minutes ago, HAZARD said:

Acts 5:3-4 proves the Holy Spirit is a member of the Godhead. He is also God as is the Father, and the Word, who became flesh.

3, But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the HOLY GHOST, and to keep back part of the price of the land? 
  4, Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto me, BUT UNTO GOD.

first thank for the reply, second, consider this. 2 Corinthians 3:15 "But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. 2 Corinthians 3:16 "Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away. 2 Corinthians 3:17 "Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty".

the Spirit of the "Lord" is the Spirit, God.

PICJAG.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, HAZARD said:

We must disagree, for the bible clearly states there is no mystery about the Godhead. supportive scripture, Romans 1:19 "Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. Romans 1:20 "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

so there is no excuse not to know. just go to the beginning and see what was made.

PICJAG.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  05/27/1943

That opinion was voiced centuries before the Trinity was formulated. I have to wonder if Paul would have accepted that new doctrine.

• Oy Vey! 1

3 minutes ago, 101G said:

first thank for the reply, second, consider this. 2 Corinthians 3:15 "But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. 2 Corinthians 3:16 "Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away. 2 Corinthians 3:17 "Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty".

the Spirit of the "Lord" is the Spirit, God.

PICJAG.

We were created in God's image and in God's likeness. We are like God only moral earthbound beings, Just like our own children are like we are. Every living thing has a Body a soul and spirit. The body is the outward form or house in which his soul and spirit dwell, (Gen. 2:7, 19; John 5:28-29; Matt. 27: 52; 1 Cor. 15:34-58; Jas. 2:26; 1 Thess. 5:23; Heb. 10:5-10.

The soul is that invisible part which feels , the seat of his emotions and desires, and which gives one self consciousness and makes one a sentient being (Lev. 23:43; 1 Sam. 22:2; 30:6; 2 Sam. 13:39; 2 Kings 4:27; 23:3; Ps. 107:5, 9, 18, 26; Mark 12:33; Matt. 26:38; John 12:27; Heb. 10:38; Heb. 4:12).

The spirit is that invisible part of all living beings that knows the seat of his intellect, mind and will, and that which gives one self determination and makes one a free moral agent and a rational being (1 Cor. 2;11; Matt. 26:41; Exodus 35:21;Job 38:8, 18; Prov. 20:27; Phil. 1:27; Heb. 4:12; Jas. 2:26; 1 Thess. 5:23).

37 minutes ago, 101G said:

We must disagree, for the bible clearly states there is no mystery about the Godhead. supportive scripture, Romans 1:19 "Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. Romans 1:20 "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

so there is no excuse not to know. just go to the beginning and see what was made.

PICJAG.

You misunderstood what I wrote. I never said the Godhead was a mystery, I said the trinity was a mystery to most people. That's what they were taught as I was, three beings in one body which is false teaching. The word trinity is not one time mentioned in the Bible. The word Godhead is mentioned three times;

Acts 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device. 

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so7 that they are without excuse: 

Colossians 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, HAZARD said:

We were created in God's image and in God's likeness. We are like God only moral earthbound beings, Just like our own children are like we are. Every living thing has a Body a soul and spirit. The body is the outward form or house in which his soul and spirit dwell

this is correct, the spirit which no man can see. in the OT, God appeared to men, not manifested as he did in the Gospels. and true what was made in the beginning is clearly seen. for man is the "image" of God to come, supportive scripture, Romans 5:14 "Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come".  the word "figure" is synonym with "IMAGE". the Lord Jesus is the TRUE IMAGE of God, or the Last Adam. supportive scripture, Hebrews 1:3 "Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high". the express IMAGE of his, his, his, "person". the Lord Jesus is the IMAGE of the Father in flesh. just as the first Adam was in the IMAGE, not that IMAGE is MANIFESTED. 

PICJAG.

2 minutes ago, 101G said:

this is correct, the spirit which no man can see. in the OT, God appeared to men, not manifested as he did in the Gospels. and true what was made in the beginning is clearly seen. for man is the "image" of God to come, supportive scripture, Romans 5:14 "Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come".  the word "figure" is synonym with "IMAGE". the Lord Jesus is the TRUE IMAGE of God, or the Last Adam. supportive scripture, Hebrews 1:3 "Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high". the express IMAGE of his, his, his, "person". the Lord Jesus is the IMAGE of the Father in flesh. just as the first Adam was in the IMAGE, not that IMAGE is MANIFESTED. 

PICJAG.

The Holy Spirit did one time let Himself be seen by men's own eyes, in the form of, like a dove. 

Mat 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: 

Mar 1:10 And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:  

Luk 3:22 And the Holy Ghost descended in a BODILY SHAPE like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.