IGNORED

Who is the Holy Spirit and the purpose in the trinity?

Journey365

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

In the 4 gospels Jesus often talks about the Father and he says the Son. It seems that we can fathom or understand the Father and Son relationship how they are as one? But in Acts Jesus will send the Holy Spirit to the disciples and other new believers.

But it seems that churches and Christians kind of vary in their views the purpose of the Holy Spirit as what part does the Holy Spirit play among the Father and Son.

What do you believe is the purpose of the Holy Spirit part in relationship with the Father and Son ? How does the Holy Spirit work along with the Father and Son? What do you believe the Holy Spirit does for you in your personal life everyday or whenever at least the Holy Spirit is active in your life?

On some of the church programs some will say I have the Holy Spirit in me or I feel the Holy Spirit. As for me I have not felt those kinds of things such as a force inside of me. I can honestly say I have felt the love and peace of God during my life in certain moments. But not actually a force some Christians say they feel the power of the Holy Spirit or they believe they know where the Holy Spirit is at . .

I can't identify as to where the Holy Spirit is one minute to the next. But I don't deny the Holy Spirit. But I mostly comprehend the Father and Son aspect. The Holy Spirit to me is sort of a mystery I never truly understood in this life. It's like in a movie one behind the scenes . . He is doing his part but not always sure what . . Well I usually say God and or Lord in my prayers. I don't pray directly to the Holy Spirit. I don't say Holy Spirit I pray to you. Rather I say God, Jesus and or Lord please hear our prayer.

So if we don't pray directly to the Holy Spirit how does the Holy Spirit become the sometime most important role in our faith in God among the Father and Son aspect?

See what I mean kind of confusing at times. .What do you believe about this according to Bible Scriptures and maybe also personal experiences of the Holy Spirit working in your life personally and or among others you know as well?

Edited by Journey365
had to rephrase some

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  237
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,773
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Journey365 said:

In the 4 gospels Jesus often talks about the Father and he says the Son. It seems that we can fathom or understand the Father and Son relationship how they are as one? But in Acts Jesus will send the Holy Spirit to the disciples and other new believers.

But it seems that churches and Christians kind of vary in their views the purpose of the Holy Spirit as what part does the Holy Spirit play among the Father and Son.

What do you believe is the purpose of the Holy Spirit part in relationship with the Father and Son ? How does the Holy Spirit work along with the Father and Son? What do you believe the Holy Spirit does for you in your personal life everyday or whenever at least the Holy Spirit is active in your life?

On some of the church programs some will say I have the Holy Spirit in me or I feel the Holy Spirit. As for me I have not felt those kinds of things such as a force inside of me. I can honestly say I have felt the love and peace of God during my life in certain moments. But not actually a force some Christians say they feel the power of the Holy Spirit or they believe they know where the Holy Spirit is at . .

I can't identify as to where the Holy Spirit is one minute to the next. But I don't deny the Holy Spirit. But I mostly comprehend the Father and Son aspect. The Holy Spirit to me is sort of a mystery I never truly understood in this life. It's like in a movie one behind the scenes . . He is doing his part but not always sure what . . Well I usually say God and or Lord in my prayers. I don't pray directly to the Holy Spirit. I don't say Holy Spirit I pray to you. Rather I say God, Jesus and or Lord please hear our prayer.

So if we don't pray directly to the Holy Spirit how does the Holy Spirit become the sometime most important role in our faith in God among the Father and Son aspect?

See what I mean kind of confusing at times. .What do you believe about this according to Bible Scriptures and maybe also personal experiences of the Holy Spirit working in your life personally and or among others you know as well?

Hi Journey365, I like the metaphors that the Bible uses to illustrate the truth of the Holy Spirit, particularly these 5 types:

1. Wind: Joh 3:8 (Jesus said) The wind blows where it will, and you hear the voice thereof, but know not whence it comes, and whither it goes: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. (pnuema = breath)
"Everyone that is born of the Spirit is, in some respects, like the effects of the wind. You see it not, you cannot discern its laws, but you see its effects, and you know therefore that it does exist and operate." [Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible]

2. Water: Joh 7:37-39 Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me and drink. He that believes on me, as the scripture has said, from within him shall flow rivers of living water. But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believed on him were to receive: for the Spirit was not yet given; because Jesus was not yet glorified.

"the grace of the Spirit of God is signified by water, because it is of a cleansing and purifying nature, as faith and hope are, having to do with the blood of Christ, which cleanses from all sin; and because it fructifies and causes the saints, as trees of righteousness, to grow, and bring forth fruit; and especially because it is cooling to those who are scorched with the heat of a fiery law, and very refreshing to thirsty souls: and it is called "living" water, because by it dead sinners are quickened, drooping saints are revived, and comforted; spiritual life in them is maintained and supported, and it springs up to, and issues in eternal life: and it is expressed by "rivers" of living water, because of the abundance of it in regeneration, justification, and pardon; it is grace for grace, abundance of grace believers receive from Christ; and from him, in whom those large measures of grace are, they "flow out" again, even "out of his belly":" [John Gill's Exposition Of The Entire Bible]

3. Oil: Heb 1:8-9 but of the Son he said, Your throne, O God, is for ever and ever; And the sceptre of uprightness is the sceptre of your kingdom. You have loved righteousness, and hated    iniquity; Therefore God, your God, has anointed you With the oil of gladness above your fellows. 

"what he is anointed with is not material oil, but spiritual, the Holy Ghost, as it is explained in Act_10:38 called the oil of gladness, in allusion to the use of oil at feasts and weddings, for the delight and refreshment of the guests; and because of the spiritual effects of joy and gladness, both on Christ, as man, and on his people." [John Gill]

4. Fire: Act 2:2-4 And suddenly there came from heaven a sound as of the rushing of a mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them tongues parting asunder, like as of fire; and it sat upon each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

"The sign given was fire, that John Baptist's saying concerning Christ might be fulfilled, He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire; with the Holy Ghost as with fire. They were now, in the feast of pentecost, celebrating the memorial of the giving of the law upon mount Sinai; and as that was given in fire, and therefore is called a fiery law, so is the gospel. Ezekiel's mission was confirmed by a vision of burning coals of fire (Eze_1:13), and Isaiah's by a coal of fire touching his lips, Isa_6:7. The Spirit, like fire, melts the heart, separates and burns up the dross, and kindles pious and devout affections in the soul, in which, as in the fire upon the altar, the spiritual sacrifices are offered up. This is that fire which Christ came to send upon the earth. Luk_12:49." [Matthew Henry]

5. Dove: Luk 3:21-22 Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened, And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

The Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him; our Lord Jesus was now to receive greater measures of the Spirit than before, to qualify him for his prophetical office, Isa_61:1. When he begins to preach, the Spirit of the Lord is upon him. Now this is here expressed by a sensible evidence for his encouragement in his work, and for the satisfaction of John the Baptist; for he was told before that by this sign it should be notified to him which was the Christ. Dr. Lightfoot suggests that the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape, that he might be revealed to be a personal substance, and not merely an operation of the Godhead: and thus (saith he) was made a full, clear, and sensible demonstration of the Trinity, at the beginning of the gospel; and very fitly is this done at Christ's baptism, who was to make the ordinance of baptism a badge of the profession of that faith in the doctrine of the Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. [Matthew Henry]

The Holy Spirit led me to collate this material.

Blessings from Michael37.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

18 hours ago, Journey365 said:

I've been attacked over and over again on other websites for sharing my belief concerning the Holy Spirit and Trinity. Still, I believe my belief is the correct one. I believe God is simultaneously a Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We call him the "Holy Spirit" when we are communicating with him. The Son is Jesus. The Father is God.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  237
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,773
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

21 hours ago, Journey365 said:

Yes, I've found that, especially the experience seekers who get lured into demonic manifestations from spurious practices associated with Eastern Religion.

I've got some notes somewhere that help me appreciate the following Scripture with regard to the work of the Holy Spirit, but they are not readily to hand at the moment. 

Joh 16:7-15
(7)  Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
(8)  And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
(9)  Of sin, because they believe not on me;
(10)  Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and you see me no more;
(11)  Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
(12)  I have yet many things to say unto you, but you cannot bear them now.
(13)  Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
(14)  He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
(15)  All things that the Father has are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

My short reply is a question of my own?

We're all sinners and will continue to sin until our redemption, but... As a Christian with the Holy Spirit inside of us; have you ever experienced such things as; getting the wrong change back at the register (a whole bunch more), and immediately your thoughts drift to; WOW, I could really use this extra money, it's not my fault! Then that strong whisper in your conscience reminds you that's a sin and not right, then you square away that transaction and return the excess money.

Or those little voices and thoughts you get in your conscience brain that nag at you when you did something not right (righteousness). Man's heart is continually evil, where do you suppose those convictions are coming from to try to be Christ - like? 

I can reason and feel Him inside of me because before He was there; I wouldn't have given a second thought about keeping all that extra money as my example above. The Holy Spirit appears to convict us of our thoughts and actions and comforts us. 

The Holy Spirit is also restraining evil in this world. When the Holy Spirit is removed (Him in us) at the Rapture of the Bride of Christ (the Church), the world is going to witness unrestrained evil.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

Those temptations are COMMON to all men,  worldwide.   (as written in Sripture)

Sometimes it could be a serious temptation because the flesh is active;

other times it could be almost no temptation at all because the spirit of the man(A true Christian) is in control.

Some days sin might be 'easier' to do,   even for years.   Like for an adulterer or a thief or someone greedy.

Other days conviction may bring Godly pain and Godly sorrow leading to repentance.

The Way God Says to Live is much different than most people ever see anywhere.  It is so uncommon.  So rare.

But required.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

On 6/20/2019 at 12:33 AM, Journey365 said:

It is confusing most of the time on earth, in most churches and on most all forums.

Let the PEACE OF CHRIST do as YAHUWEH'S (GOD'S) WORD SAYS ,  and ALWAYS rely on the FATHER for salvation in this life and in the life to come.   TRUST the FATHER to accomplish all things concerning salvation life today and forever. 

Try to decide which of dozens of different versions are right ?    Don't try.  

Instead, always seek Yahuweh's Kingdom and the Truth, as HIS WORD SAYS ,  and He Will Reveal This.

He is ALWAYS RIGHT !   Men are usually and often wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

On 6/19/2019 at 10:33 PM, Journey365 said:

The Holy Spirit filled Jesus at His baptism.  He comes to empower us to do God's will, especially to evangelize.  (Acts 1).   

Jesus came to glorify and reveal the Father.  The Holy Spirit came to glorify and reveal Jesus.  All three are God.  

The Holy Spirit filled me when I surrendered my questions, my doubts and resisting to God.  That was the last thing I gave up so that I could give all to Him.  I am still a Thomas, but not in regards to God or the things of God.  

Before I completely yielded to God my life was chaos.  My bible reading and prayer time was sporadic.  Love was lacking in me.  Self ruled my life.  

After I surrendered to God completely I sought God with my whole heart.  The Holy Spirit was there to comfort me when my mom died at the 57 and when our acquaintance committed suicide at age 26.  He was with me and spoke to me while I was in labor with our second son as well as after he was born, comforting me and telling me that he would be OK when he had to go back into an incubator.  He has been my constant companion, guiding and disciplining me when needed.  He reveals my heart to me which isn't alway pretty.  And He conforms me into the likeness of Jesus as I behold Him.  He illuminates the Scriptures so that I can understand them and apply them to daily problems.  He shows me the location of lost items like car keys and computer keyboards, building my faith.  He gave me faith to believe for my husbands salvation even while he was telling me why he could never be a Christian, confessing horrible things he had done.  I was struggling to keep a straight face because God was speaking to me that this is the very reason he could be saved--God came not for the righteous but for sinners.  The Holy Spirit brings scriptures to my memory that I need to give me faith.  He leads me to strange places for my growth in Christ.  Jesus called the Holy Spirit our Advocate and our Comforter.  The Spirit gives me words that a person needs to hear while I am witnessing to them.  He gives me authority when I am speaking His words.  Most of all He has given me compassionate love for the lost and the straying.   These last couple of years, dealing with the death of my husband, the Spirit has given me courage to go on without Him.  There are many challenges to face caring for the house and yard with declining health.  I know that He is enabling me and giving me wisdom in how to proceed.  One thing I know that I know: life is not worth living without God.   

Jesus was God With Us, Emmanuel, while He was on earth.  He asked the Father to send the Holy Spirit to be God With Us  to the church when He went back to the Father.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Well, the best place to begin is at the beginning.

2 Peter 1:20–21 (AV)
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

The Holy Spirit is the author of the Bible.

The Holy Spirit is the interpreter of the Bible.

His is the one in the Godhead who is essentially running the show down here now:

Acts 13:2 (AV)
2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.

He is active in many ways:

Titus 3:5 (AV)
5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

And there is much more, but consider this when you wonder why he is not mentioned more in scripture... Jesus is the center of the Bible more so than even the Father,

many proceed from a false assumption that the God of the old Testament is strictly the Father when in fact it's almost entirely Jesus preincarnate. And, the Holy Spirit

wrote the Bible through the prophets. He's got class enough not to boast but is rather humble.

When you think of it, God is very humble.

He's God, yet there is no boasting. No pride.

He tolerates the stupidest of people (of whom I am the worst).

He doesn't strike defiant people dead.

Rather than wipe out the devil and his minions at the first sign of trouble,

he set in motion a plan that will actually save lost people.

All three individuals in the Godhead are involved in this plan.

Google or do a Bible study on the words "Spirit of God, God's Spirit, the Spirit, Holy Spirit, Holy Ghost," and be amazed what is in the Bible about him.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

On 6/19/2019 at 10:33 PM, Journey365 said:

The fact that the Holy Spirit is God is clearly seen in many Scriptures, including Acts 5:3-4. In this verse Peter confronts Ananias as to why he lied to the Holy Spirit and tells him that he had “not lied to men but to God.” It is a clear declaration that lying to the Holy Spirit is lying to God. We can also know that the Holy Spirit is God because He possesses the characteristics of God. For example, His omnipresence is seen in Psalm 139:7-8, “Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.” Then in 1 Corinthians 2:10-11, we see the characteristic of omniscience in the Holy Spirit. “But God has revealed it to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man’s spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.”

We can know that the Holy Spirit is indeed a divine person because He possesses a mind, emotions, and a will. The Holy Spirit thinks and knows (1 Corinthians 2:10). The Holy Spirit can be grieved (Ephesians 4:30). The Spirit intercedes for us (Romans 8:26-27). He makes decisions according to His will (1 Corinthians 12:7-11). The Holy Spirit is God, the third Person of the Trinity. As God, the Holy Spirit can truly function as the Comforter and Counselor that Jesus promised He would be (John 14:16, 26, 15:26).

www.gotquestions.org/who-Holy-Spirit.html

Edited by missmuffet
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1