IGNORED

Who is the Holy Spirit and the purpose in the trinity?

Journey365

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  187
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, HAZARD said:

The Holy Spirit did one time let Himself be seen by men's own eyes, in the form of, like a dove. 

correct "LIKE", a dove in apperance.

PICJAG.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,829
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, 101G said:

correct "LIKE", a dove in apperance.

PICJAG.

Common sense tells us the Holy Spirit is not a dove, He has a body, soul and a spirit just as the Father and Jesus has, its just that He decided to appear like a dove and descended upon Jesus in the shape of a dove.

7 minutes ago, HAZARD said:

Common sense tells us the Holy Spirit is not a dove, He has a body, soul and a spirit just as the Father and Jesus has, its just that He decided to appear like a dove and descended upon Jesus in the shape of a dove.

are you saying that the Spirit has a spirit? that's three spirits.

PICJAG.

1 minute ago, 101G said:

are you saying that the Spirit has a spirit? that's three spirits.

PICJAG.

Remember this post?

Every living thing has a Body a soul and spirit. The body is the outward form or house in which his soul and spirit dwell, (Gen. 2:7, 19; John 5:28-29; Matt. 27: 52; 1 Cor. 15:34-58; Jas. 2:26; 1 Thess. 5:23; Heb. 10:5-10.
The soul is that invisible part which feels , the seat of his emotions and desires, and which gives him self consciousness and makes him a sentient being (Lev. 23:43; 1 Sam. 22:2; 30:6; 2 Sam. 13:39; 2 Kings 4:27; 23:3; Ps. 107:5, 9, 18, 26; Mark 12:33; Matt. 26:38; John 12:27; Heb. 10:38; Heb. 4:12).

The spirit is that invisible part of all living beings that knows the seat of his intellect, mind and will, and that which gives him self determination and makes him a free moral agent and a rational being (1 Cor. 2;11; Matt. 26:41; Exodus 35:21;Job 38:8, 18; Prov. 20:27; Phil. 1:27; Heb. 4:12; Jas. 2:26; 1 Thess. 5:23).

There are three beings in the Godhead, God the Father, God the Son,[The Word who became flesh], and God the Holy Spirit. They each have their own body, soul, and spirit just as we have, seeing we are created in their image and likeness.

Genesis 1:26 And God said, LET US make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 

1 minute ago, HAZARD said:

Remember this post?

Every living thing has a Body a soul and spirit. The body is the outward form or house in which his soul and spirit dwell, (Gen. 2:7, 19; John 5:28-29; Matt. 27: 52; 1 Cor. 15:34-58; Jas. 2:26; 1 Thess. 5:23; Heb. 10:5-10.
The soul is that invisible part which feels , the seat of his emotions and desires, and which gives him self consciousness and makes him a sentient being (Lev. 23:43; 1 Sam. 22:2; 30:6; 2 Sam. 13:39; 2 Kings 4:27; 23:3; Ps. 107:5, 9, 18, 26; Mark 12:33; Matt. 26:38; John 12:27; Heb. 10:38; Heb. 4:12).

The spirit is that invisible part of all living beings that knows the seat of his intellect, mind and will, and that which gives him self determination and makes him a free moral agent and a rational being (1 Cor. 2;11; Matt. 26:41; Exodus 35:21;Job 38:8, 18; Prov. 20:27; Phil. 1:27; Heb. 4:12; Jas. 2:26; 1 Thess. 5:23).

There are three beings in the Godhead, God the Father, God the Son,[The Word who became flesh], and God the Holy Spirit. They each have their own body, soul, and spirit just as we have, seeing we are created in their image and likeness.

Genesis 1:26 And God said, LET US make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 

that's three Gods, God is one. as you quoted Genesis 1:2 well let's quote the very next verse. Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them".

How did "US" and "OUR" turn into "HIS" and "HE"? ........ well. see, it's only ONE God who manifested himself in flesh that was to come as Romans 5:14b states. the same one Person only "diversified" in flesh. 

PICJAG.

25 minutes ago, 101G said:

that's three Gods, God is one. as you quoted Genesis 1:2 well let's quote the very next verse. Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them".

How did "US" and "OUR" turn into "HIS" and "HE"? ........ well. see, it's only ONE God who manifested himself in flesh that was to come as Romans 5:14b states. the same one Person only "diversified" in flesh. 

PICJAG.

They Are "ONE," In UNITY, in all things, not omnibody.

God the Father has a body with bodily parts as we have and this also proves the Father Son and Holy Spirit are not "ONE in body but 'ONE" in unity in all things.

God has a spirit body with bodily parts like a man. This is proved by hundreds of Scriptures that do not need interpretation. God is a Spirit being, infinite, eternal, immutable, self-existent, omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent, invisible, impartial, immortal, absolutly holy, full of wisdom, full of knowledge, and just in all things. God is known in Scripture by over two hundred names. He is describes as being like any other person as to having a body, soul, and spirit (Job 13:8; Heb. 1:3 ;  Dan. 7:9-14 ; 10:5-7). He is a spirit being with a body (Dan. 7:9-14 ; 10:5-6 ; 9-19 ; Exodus 24:11 ;  Ezek. 1:26-28 , Acts 7:54-59 ; Rev. 4:2-4 ; 5:1 ; 5-7 ; 22:4-5), shape (John 5:37), form (Phil. 2:5-7, same Greek word as in Mark 16:12, which refers to bodily form); and an image and likeness of a man (Gen. 1:26 ; 9:6 ; Ezek. 1:26-28 ; 1 Cor. 11:7, Jas. 3:9; Dan. 7:9-14 ; 10:5-6).

He has a heart (Gen. 6:6 ; 8:21). hands and fingers (Exod. 31:18, Psalms 8:3-6, Rev. 5:1 ;  6-7),  Nostrils (Ps. 18:8),  mouth (Num. 12:8), lips and tongue Isa. 30:27, feet (Ezek. 1:27 ; Exodus 24:10); eyes, eyelids, sight (Ps. 11:4 ;  18:24 ; 33:18) ; voice (Ps. 29 ;  Rev. 10:3-4 ; Gen. 1) ; breath (Gen. 2:7) ; ears (Ps. 18:6)  ; head, hair, face, arms (Dan. 7:9-14 ; 10:5-19 ;  Rev. 5:1 ; loins (Ezek. 1:26 ; 28; 8:1-4); bodily presence (Gen. 3:8 ;  18:1-22 ; Job 1:6-12 ; 2:1-7 ;  Exodus 24:10-11  ; and many other bodily parts as required by Him to be a person with a body.

God goes from place to place just like any one else (Gen. 3:8 ; 11:5 ;  18:1-22,  33 ; 19:24 ; 32:24-32 ; 35:13 ;  Zech. 14:5 ;  Titus 2:13). God is omnipresent but not omnibody, that is His presence can be felt everywhere but His body is not everywhere. God wears cloths (Dan. 7:9-14 ; 10:5-19 ;  God eats food (Gen. 18:1-22 ;  Exodus 24:11).

There is not one Scripture in the Bible which states that God is intangible, immaterial, without a body, or bodily parts, and passions except John 4:24, “God is a spirit,” and this certainly does not teach that He is without a body. The difference between Spirit and flesh and bone is substance.

The Word, who became flesh, and is now risen, Jesus, now has a glorified flesh and bone body and the scares to prove it;

Luke 24:39, Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

Jesus will carry the wounds forever as a reminder of what He endured to all throughout eternity future!

Zechariah 13:6, And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.

And where is Jesus now? He is sitting in His glorified flesh and bone body, along side the Father, at His Fathers right hand, in Heaven;

Mark 16:19, "So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God."

Its doesn't say He is inside the Father because they are omnibody?

And where is the Holy Spirit while Jesus is in Heaven with the Father? Look at this, The Holy Spirit, the third person of the Godhead is on the Earth.

John 14:16, And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

Jesus on Earth praying to His Father, Luke 11:12, who was in Heaven. The Father speaking from Heaven about Jesus, Luke 3:22,  who was on the Earth, Jesus returns to The father in Heaven and the Father sends the Holy Spirit, John 14:16,  to the earth.

That makes three separate divine beings. Remember this?

Genesis 1:26, And God said, LET US make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Was God talking to Himself? or was He talking to the Word who was with Him in the beginning with God and who was also God, and He was also talking to the Holy Spirit? That's God the Father, God the Word, now Jesus, and God the Holy Spirit.

Edited by HAZARD

13 hours ago, Betha said:

Joh 10v30 I and my Father are ONE.  That is ...up to pres....2 Persons - not 3.  They share the SAME SPIRIT which makes them ONE. WE also are given a small amount/deposit,downpayment of their Holy Spirit so we can grow IN IT and BECOME GOD-MINDED as they are Eph 1v13, 14.  In time there will be MANY Persons sharing GOD's Holy Spirit AND BE ONE WITH HIM in HIS Kingdom. HOLY SPIRIT is the COhesive  POWER of God .....not a Person. By this Power God either Unites or Separates whatever HE wants to do.

Jesus called the Holy Spirit, "HE," This statement alone proves the Holy Ghost is a separate and distinct person and a member of the Godhead.

John 14:26, But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, the Father will send in my name, "HE" shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. 

John 15:26, But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father,  "HE" shall testify of me: 

"HE" is a person, a member of the Godhead, not a spiritual thing.

1 John 5:7, For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and THE HOLY GHOST: and these three are one. One or two persons cannot bear record, or be three witnesses in any court in earth or in heaven.

When we baptise we baptise In the name of the father, AND of the Son, AND of the Holy Ghost. The word and means there are three separate beings we are baptised in the name of.

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,460
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,739
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  126
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

On 6/20/2019 at 1:33 AM, Journey365 said:

So if we don't pray directly to the Holy Spirit how does the Holy Spirit become the sometime most important role in our faith in God among the Father and Son aspect?

See what I mean kind of confusing at times. .What do you believe about this according to Bible Scriptures and maybe also personal experiences of the Holy Spirit working in your life personally and or among others you know as well?

Shalom Journey365,

This thread has gotten "interesting" and a lot of confusion seems to abound.  So let me make it as clear as I can make it.  I believe we can have a personal relationship with God!  How do we have a personal relationship with God?  The disciples had a personal relationship with God -- as they walked and talked with Jesus.  And then Jesus said, I leave you -- and I must -- for the Holy Spirit will guide you and bring to remembrance all that we spoke of -- this was the transformation of a EXTERNAL personal relationship -- to a INTERNAL personal relationship with God the disciples experienced.  This personal relationship that we can have with God is through His Spirit.  The Holy Spirit can be "grieved" -- the Holy Spirit makes "intercession" for us -- the Holy Spirit "convicts" us -- this a PERSONAL relationship we have with God is through His Holy Spirit.

So try not to "overthink" as if you can truly "understand" everything about God -- simply trust and know Him!  :)

Your brother in the Lord with much agape love,

George

• Loved it! 3

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  05/27/1943

Allow me to illustrate this with the central Christian symbol, the idea of God as a Trinity. Is that a truth about God or a description of human experience? Is a knowledge of God’s being ever a human possibility? Are not definitions of God always definitions of human experience? Theology thus is always about my understanding of God, not about God. The doctrine of the Holy Trinity, therefore, describes the evolving of the human experience. It was certainly not a revealed truth, nor was it the way the earliest Christians understood God. Paul, for example, was clearly not a Trinitarian. For the Jewish Paul, God was “One;” nothing approached or modified that “Oneness.” Paul says in Romans that God “designated” Jesus as “Son of God in power according to the spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead” (Rom. 1:4). God is the designator, Jesus is the one designated; that is not co-equality or Trinitarian. Paul said that the life Jesus lived, he lived to God. We become alive to God through Jesus, he asserted. For Paul, Jesus was a doorway into the ultimate, Jesus was not “the ultimate.” God, as “Father” reflected ideas from the childhood of our humanity. God was the protective power that human beings sought desperately to access. To make the power of God work for them was the essence of worship and of religion. This distant, powerful, parent-deity was believed to have the ability to control the weather, cure sicknesses and defeat one’s enemies. Natural disasters like the flood at the time of Noah resulted from the human failure to keep God’s law. Our hymns still express that hope. We sing: “Eternal Father, strong to save, whose arm hath bound the restless wave.” Floods, tidal waves and tsunamis, however, reveal that the restless waves were not bound.

Religion, including Christianity, in this period of human history was childlike based on a protective deity. In many ways, early Christianity was a religion of fear and control. Because we had failed to be pleasing to God, Christianity became a religion of penitence, guilt and a begging for mercy. We were not allowed to grow up. We were children seeking to please the powerful “Father” or parent God. It is hard to grow up until we leave the “Father’s house.”

Developing Christology was one of the things that allowed us to begin to grow out of this childlike religious form. Christology arose in the late third and early fourth centuries with the suggestion that God had entered human life, which served to give human life a dignity it had not had before. As Christianity came to understand itself in this new way, we began to tell the story of the father God, who by drawing near to us, suffered the consequences of being in the human arena of pain and death and who called us into a new level of humanity. Of course, the Jesus story got corrupted in the telling of it. The idea that God could take on human form, however, meant that we had come to an awareness that humanity might have a potential we had never realized before. It was a major shift in consciousness. Next we began to entertain the story of the Holy Spirit, which universalized the Christ story. Now all people, not just Jesus, could be God-filled. 

• Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  05/27/1943

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:18 AM, eileenhat said:

I prayed about this question, ie. Is the Trinity of God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit mentioned in the Bible", and "yes" it is referred to in the Bible as the Elohim was the answer I received.  The Elohim is the trinity.

As we examine the evolution of the Hebrew/Jewish perception of God in the Old Testament, what becomes obvious was that in the earliest layers El was merely just another tribal god. El was however the ONLY god that was permitted for the Hebrew people to worship. This is known as henotheism. As time went by this exclusive tribal deity evolved into the ONLY deity. This of course is monotheism. Viewed in this manner Elohim as plural refers to the pantheon of middle-eastern gods of whom El was regarded as the chief god. In the Hebrew scriptures we see an evolution in their understanding of God from polytheism through henotheism into monotheism.