• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

On 6/21/2019 at 7:29 AM, Neighbor said:

Hi, I suggest that is very wrongheaded thinking to disregard learning mathematics and that   the person that does not understand mathematics will not understand much of anything, will be a drag upon society, their own family, and really even their self. Being a dolt that cannot even make "change for a dollar" is not cool, it is economically devastating.

How does the farmer calculate the need of his fields?  How does an architect quantify his designs? How does a cook make a loaf of bread even? Without knowledge of math they would each produce only one folly after another and go broke only be so ignorant they would be the last to know  of it.

What is it that does anyone might want to do? Learn the math  of it and it will become something that one may be proficient at doing; don't learn the math and they will be just an idle dreamer, and eventually just another loser complainer wondering why  not them and yet someone else has the success.

Each are to run the race as though  to finish first! If one can't even measure the distance  of the course, nor comprehend what  distance means how is one to even begin to compete.

Don't tolerate in self the lazy person's excuses. Instead compete like no one else never quit never. Work it all out, it will add up to success.

Thank you for your post.

By more advanced mathematics I meant things like xy+2xy, I did not mean things like basic multiplication, fractions et cetera, but I was just giving an example of what I consider to be more advanced education.

I appreciate you pointing out that mathematics of is to much of everyday life and many parts of life.

Edited by JesusChristisLord

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

BTW school never stops, well till the grass is on the other side. even then ... Who knows how much math will be involved in worship of our Lord.

Might try a study, oh oh bad word  study, but study it is,- of the 119th Psalm. Much math in it, a song. Much to be garnered if one learns  not a secret but just in the math that is there to be seen if one studies something of this acrostic inspired by God for the benefit of man as he worships His creator.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, JesusChristisLord said:

Thank you for your post.

By more advanced mathematics I meant things like xy+2xy, I did not mean things like multiplication, percentage, fractions et cetera, besides I have just finished secondary school so this is not really relevant to me right now; besides in some areas of the world females may not have any mathematics education but I was just giving an example of more advanced education.

Hi, JCiL….

Higher math is used by some people in their particular fields and not so much by others.

When I used to teach Algebra1/2, I would tell my students that it's true.  You may not use this in "real life" per se, but think of it as solving puzzles - sharpening your logic and thinking and the ability to connect the dots.  Making the complicated simple.

Everything about real life is making the complicated simple.  There are knowns and unknowns.  Wading through life is about giving the unknown an identity and using it to simplify what's already known.

When I took that approach, they made the effort to use algebra to increase their logic and thinking.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

BTW school never stops, well till the grass is on the other side. even then ... Who knows how much math will be involved in worship of our Lord.

Might try a study, oh oh bad word  study, but study it is,- of the 119th Psalm. Much math in it, a song. Much to be garnered if one learns  not a secret but just in the math that is there to be seen if one studies something of this acrostic inspired by God for the benefit of man as he worships His creator.

Thank you for suggesting how mathematics may be useful in understanding God's word and worshipping God. May I know how maths in involved in Psalm 119?

What do you mean by "till the grass is on the other side"? Do you mean when the Lord Jesus Christ comes back to judge the earth?

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

5 minutes ago, Jayne said:

Higher math is used by some people in their particular fields and not so much by others.

Indeed it is. Especially doctors, nurses, and pharmacists, just to mention some. 

5 minutes ago, JesusChristisLord said:

Thank you for your post.

By more advanced mathematics I meant things like xy+2xy, I did not mean things like multiplication, percentage, fractions et cetera, besides I have just finished secondary school so this is not really relevant to me right now; besides in some areas of the world females may not have any mathematics education but I was just giving an example of more advanced education.

Hi again,

Your adult life is before you.

BTW xy+2xy is multiplication and addition. No excuses run the race as though to win, not everyone does not all finish well at all. Learn! Life is just beginning.

I am 75. I did not aspire to learn until I suddenly realized hey I wanto be able to suppor that gal I just feel in love with! After that I excelled learned much that required heavy use of math in sales, in design,  in advertising, in building, I had train the sales forces how to use simple calculators to figure out contracts to meet state laws of contracts with payment terms and interest rtes and prepayment penalties and so on. It is all  tha nasty pesky math. I had to learn it to teach others how to use it for them and for me to make our living.  One just cannot get away from that  xy+2xy suff. I still have much to learn  and the need to use principles of mathematics in all of it.

But have some fun with it. How many cubits equals the diameter  to the earth,   or  it's circumference? What of the great pyramid what are the ratios of it's proportions? Why are the dimensions of an ark listed? All sorts of astrologic historical references are in the Bible. Learn some numerics that are in the Bible for that matter have some fun, don't be scared of it. Dig in, life has just begun. Trying to sell ones self that math doesn't matter one  isn't going to work out well.  I suggest that anyone trying that  thinking on, dump that one, and get with enjoying the math that is all around-

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Jayne said:

Hi, JCiL….

Higher math is used by some people in their particular fields and not so much by others.

When I used to teach Algebra1/2, I would tell my students that it's true.  You may not use this in "real life" per se, but think of it as solving puzzles - sharpening your logic and thinking and the ability to connect the dots.  Making the complicated simple.

Everything about real life is making the complicated simple.  There are knowns and unknowns.  Wading through life is about giving the unknown an identity and using it to simplify what's already known.

When I took that approach, they made the effort to use algebra to increase their logic and thinking.

Want  to be a common building contractor today? (Or even a house flipper?)  Better know much of geometry and algebra, or never be able to pass  the State licensing board's tests.

The work itself  is much calculating of volume, strength, lengths, weights of Steel, concrete and effects of temperatures and time, and of landscape volumes. Why one can't sod a landscape even without  some geometry knowledge. Can't submit an accurate competitive bid without  knowing what volume of supplies will be needed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

Thanks for everyone's replies and I appreciate it.

I appreciate impressing on me the importance and value of mathematics. My question is more about why primary and secondary school combined is 12 years, the purpose of school, and why the minimum school leaving age around the world is generally 14-18 years old and why the minimum school leaving age varies around the world; although I recognise these questions may be hard to answer.

Edited by JesusChristisLord

49 minutes ago, JesusChristisLord said:

May I know how maths in involved in Psalm 119?

Sure!

It is music, music is math. More than that basic, it is an acrostic. It begins with each letter of the Hebrew alphabet each stanza repeats a mathematical rhythm and a dominant theme within. Look at it in Hebrew. You need not know Hebrew to better see the rythym of the stanzas.

Psalm 119  is a marvelous work of God's inspiration showing up in human authorship, a complexity of mathematics  perhaps beyond customary or normal human ability.  Seeking out the math within it is a joy as it begins to reveal the will of God for us in 22 stanzas of 8 verses each, with  each stanza having a dominant theme that is an aid to remembering God's statutes as well as in application of them. The math of it it's repetitive manner while adding new information as it goes on is a rather awesome teaching of the mind with mathematically repeatable logic in order to obey God's desire for us.

But, just look at the Psalm in Hebrew see the first letter, it is repeated as the first letter in each verse of the stanza. The first stanza being Aleph and then Beth with each verse begining with that letter all through the letters of the Hebrew alphabet. And is all makes Biblical sense, has a message, a demand,  for repentance and so on. There is so much math in it. 

Had the happy privilege of spending one full semester of classes  ( Sunday School ) led by  a Bible College professor, a languages scholar with decades of Bible learning  and teaching experience.

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

24 minutes ago, JesusChristisLord said:

Thanks for everyone's replies and I appreciate it.

I appreciate impressing on me the importance and value of mathematics. My question more about why primary and secondaru school combined is 12 years, the purpose of school, and why the minimum school leaving age around the world is generally 13/14-18 years old and why the minimum school leaving age varies around the world; although I recognise these questions may be hard to answer.

By the way, I do not live in America.

I suppose it just depends on what that nation believes the age of adulthood is.  Or at least the age at which a person should start working and contributing to society.

The purpose of school, in any setting, is to teach things that are invaluable skills and knowledge and to expose to things that are culturally appreciated and to help the young to see the future and to lead them into a justification of their life in terms of being a member of society.