• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,522
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 6/21/2019 at 11:09 AM, JesusChristisLord said:

Thanks for everyone's replies and I appreciate it.

I appreciate impressing on me the importance and value of mathematics. My question more about why primary and secondaru school combined is 12 years, the purpose of school, and why the minimum school leaving age around the world is generally 13/14-18 years old and why the minimum school leaving age varies around the world; although I recognise these questions may be hard to answer.

By the way, I do not live in America.

I suspect part of it is that there is need to keep children off the streets and out of trouble. Seriously that is a practical answer.

We don't let little kids work the factories anymore. Fact we don't have all that many humans working in factories anymore.

Old schooling in America USA was started by the Quakers, it did not go 12 years. Most American education was 8 years  of much harder demanding scholarly work resulting in a much better educated young citizenry that we have today after 12 years of what I call piddle farting around. Sorry, hope that is not too offensive for the board.

Today in  the USA there is no history that is taught  except what I will call current events.  No knowledge will be gained of even world war two, never mind European history  or ancient societies. Languages, nah not really necessary, not even cursive writing. Kids need not even know what a signature is anymore,and classic literature? Nah not necessary.

The only thing being taught today  is "critical thinking skill" and that as defined by  someone else! So called critical thinking must be learned and followed to one standard only, a rather weird concept.

It just doesn't matter that one cannot make correct change  for a dollar long as they do the process with some particular thinking pattern. Kids get partial credit for wrong answers to math questions if they use the right system to get their wrong answer, and no credit for correct answers if they arrive at their answer by means other than those designed by the critical thinking guru's. One must learn their way, yet it is called critical thinking as though it was the student's way worked out by the student. It is nutsy!

Learning must go on all of life, not 12 years not 16  not 8, but on as long as one wants progress and especially if one is to gain in ability to serve our Lord, and math and mathematical formulas well it is a tremendous component within that process, without it one is severely crippled.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  537
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,625
  • Content Per Day:  5.01
  • Days Won:  217
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Here in the UK my mother ( who is 90 this year )  was allowed to leave school at 14 ..in fact she could only stay in school after that age with her parents permission and financial support The work force was needed so school finished as soon as a child was of an age that it was considered reasonable to make them work long hours. Bu the time I was born it had risen to 15 and by the time I was ready to think about staying/leaving it was 16 mainly because  a more literate workforce was needed who were able to do more cerebral things rather than just brute labour. It is still 16 at this time ( and that is also the legal age that you can get married with parental permission ..18 without as the age of adulthood has lowered from 21 to 18 ) Most people stay in school until they are 18 or go onto higher education ( university/college )  after as the only people that leave school at 16 are those who either find learning difficult or the ones that are forced by economic pressure to contribute to the home and they rarely have more than basic jobs 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

To get kids away from the home and also so that they can be trained for their adult life.

Issue there is, it typically does a poor job of it. You don't go to school and learn chores, that's the parent's job. Same thing with cooking, budgeting, home maintenance, or much of anything related to actual job experience. Then when it comes time for college, where any actual training CAN begin (not to say it will because many classes offered are pointless), bankers have made it entirely too expensive for a good portion of the population and much of what they teach could really be learned through on-the-job training. Then you got technology making teachers more lazy and incompetent (many of whom are demanding higher pay), kids getting called purple penguins to avoid upsetting their gender sensibility, and children being taught all the joys and thrills of taboo sexual things. In this, it is revealed to be a massive waste of time and an attempt by the enemy to target our kids and warp their mentalities for the rest of their lives.

As for why it is years here and years there, the reasons vary. Some schools are more rigorous or the population needs workers ASAP. Other cultures view the age of maturity differently, and even other states.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

56 minutes ago, dr3032 said:

In this, it is revealed to be a massive waste of time and an attempt by the enemy to target our kids and warp their mentalities for the rest of their lives.

As most are taught to go along with society,  to accept the efforts and plans of the beast system,   it already has "approval" by most of society,  and when the mark is required,  will be received by almost everyone,  except for the elect - the righteous ones,  who are executed for not taking the mark.   They are "almost deceived",  it is written,  but "just barely" are saved, as written......   how horrible it is today and later then, for those who remain willingly ungodly !?

5 hours ago, JesusChristisLord said:

I am not asking only about American schools, but school around the world in general.

Everywhere around the world in general is opposed to Jesus, every day, and continues to be until Jesus returns.

Thus,  all the efforts , even of the religious leaders around the world,  is to make converts to themselves,  and to prevent

everyone they can from finding the Kingdom of Heaven. (as written in Yahuweh's Word, the Bible)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

School is mandatory and is the law up to the age of 16 in the United States. A kid can choose to get their GED. The more education a person has the more money that person will make in their life. 

3 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Indeed it is. Especially doctors, nurses, and pharmacists, just to mention some. 

Yet, the higher the math,  the higher the  pay/profit,  the more the deceiving practiced.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  05/27/1943

3 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Sure!

It is music, music is math. More than that basic, it is an acrostic. It begins with each letter of the Hebrew alphabet each stanza repeats a mathematical rhythm and a dominant theme within. Look at it in Hebrew. You need not know Hebrew to better see the rythym of the stanzas.

Psalm 119  is a marvelous work of God's inspiration showing up in human authorship, a complexity of mathematics  perhaps beyond customary or normal human ability.  Seeking out the math within it is a joy as it begins to reveal the will of God for us in 22 stanzas of 8 verses each, with  each stanza having a dominant theme that is an aid to remembering God's statutes as well as in application of them. The math of it it's repetitive manner while adding new information as it goes on is a rather awesome teaching of the mind with mathematically repeatable logic in order to obey God's desire for us.

But, just look at the Psalm in Hebrew see the first letter, it is repeated as the first letter in each verse of the stanza. The first stanza being Aleph and then Beth with each verse begining with that letter all through the letters of the Hebrew alphabet. And is all makes Biblical sense, has a message, a demand,  for repentance and so on. There is so much math in it. 

Had the happy privilege of spending one full semester of classes  ( Sunday School ) led by  a Bible College professor, a languages scholar with decades of Bible learning  and teaching experience.

Fifty days following Passover, the ancient Jewish lectionary called for the Feast of Pentecost.  This feast remembered Moses at Mount Sinai and celebrated the wonder and virtues of the Torah.  This celebration took the form of a vigil.  The day was broken into eight segments of three hours each and, just like a vigil in a modern Christian church, the  congregation would divide themselves up in such a way that there was always a group in the synagogue for each of the eight portions of the vigil.  The principle reading was Psalm 119.

At 176 verses, this is by far the longest of the psalms.  It is broken into 22 stanzas each marked by a letter of the Hebrew alphabet.  The first stanza, Aleph, was the meditation for the first segment of the vigil.  The entire congregation was probably present at this point and a full worship service was likely held.  The remaining 21 stanzas were broken into seven groups of three each, one group for each of the remaining seven portions of the vigil.  The second portion of the vigil, for example, would meditate on stanzas Beth, Gimel and Daleth.  The remarkable organization of the psalm strongly suggests that it was written specifically for use in the vigil.  There are other clues to that as well, for example: verse 62:  "At midnight I rise to praise thee."  and verse 147:  "I rise before dawn and cry for help." and a number of other similar verses as well.

Let us now investigate how the Christian scribe, Matthew, used the midrashic technique to introduce Jesus into this Jewish feast of Pentecost.  As mentioned earlier, Pentecost honored Moses and the Law received on Mount Sinai.  Matthew portrayed Jesus as the new Moses delivering a new law on a new mountain.  I refer of course to the Sermon on the Mount (Matt 5:17-29).  The sermon is organized to fit the vigil format that we've already examined.  The Sermon begins with an octave of eight blessings or beatitudes, and in typical Jewish literary style, the eight blessings are bracketed by making the first and the last reward identical.  Thus both "the poor in spirit" and those "persecuted for righteousness sake" are promised the Kingdom of God.  The remainder of the Sermon is divided into eight sections, each of which is an exposition of one of the beatitudes.  Again in typical Jewish literary style, the last beatitude is explained first and so on working backward through the list.  It also goes, almost without saying, that these eight expositions on the new Law of Jesus fit perfectly into the eight portions of the vigil of Pentecost.

What does this tell us about the Sermon on the Mount?  Was it an actual historical event in the life of Jesus?  There is of course a remote possibility that it actually was.  However, in light of the very artificial arrangement of the Sermon to fit neatly into the Feast of Pentecost, I would suggest that there was no one event in the ministry of Jesus that could be classified as the Sermon on the Mount.  Should we therefore throw it out as unhistorical?  NEVER!  What is important here is not whether the Sermon on the Mount was an historical event but that the content of the Sermon reflects the authentic teaching of Jesus.  The fact that this teaching was probably done over a period of time in many different teaching situations is not nearly as important as the basic truth of these teachings.  To put it a different way, the authority of scripture does not rely upon the details of its historicity but rather upon its ability to instruct us spiritually and point us in the direction of God.

What I have introduced here is a new insight into the way in which the gospels came into being.  They were arranged to fit into the pre-existing Jewish lectionary and they were written in the Jewish tradition known as midrashic literature.  This is a new point of entry into biblical truth.  To anyone who clings to the notion of literal truth, I can only say that it is the content of the teaching that is important and not the literal historicity of the biblical story.  

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  05/27/1943

I am a retired scientist, mathematician and educator --- BSc, MSc, BEd. My formal education took 18 years for a career of 40 years.  When you stop learning, you are dead or might as well be.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Takoda said:

When you stop learning, you are dead or might as well be.

Yes.      Like the Kingdom of Heaven - we are to seek the Kingdom of Heaven, and keep seeking the Kingdom of Heaven,  always - never stop.   Being in the Kingdom of Heaven today now on earth,  as it is in our midst,

requires always LISTENING (pray constantly (doesn't mean talk all the time) ) to the Father in heaven, 

even watching Him,  as Yahushua (Jesus) teaches us,  every day, 

every day DOing His Word,  not our own way but HIS,  all the time, every word,  every action,

even bringing every thought and dream and hope subject to Yahushua,   to remain in Him as

He remains in us.....    gloriously!  (John 17) .....

• Praise God! 1