• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

3 hours ago, Takoda said:

I am a retired scientist, mathematician and educator --- BSc, MSc, BEd. My formal education took 18 years for a career of 40 years.  When you stop learning, you are dead or might as well be.

I do enjoy learning. Fortunately one does not need to have advanced degrees to continue learning (even though I have them). It keeps my mind sharp. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

7 hours ago, Neighbor said:

I suspect part of it is that there is need to keep children off the streets and out of trouble. Seriously that is a practical answer.

We don't let little kids work the factories anymore. Fact we don't have all that many humans working in factories anymore.

Old schooling in America USA was started by the Quakers, it did not go 12 years. Most American education was 8 years  of much harder demanding scholarly work resulting in a much better educated young citizenry that we have today after 12 years of what I call piddle farting around. Sorry, hope that is not too offensive for the board.

Today in  the USA there is no history that is taught  except what I will call current events.  No knowledge will be gained of even world war two, never mind European history  or ancient societies. Languages, nah not really necessary, not even cursive writing. Kids need not even know what a signature is anymore,and classic literature? Nah not necessary.

The only thing being taught today  is "critical thinking skill" and that as defined by  someone else! So called critical thinking must be learned and followed to one standard only, a rather weird concept.

It just doesn't matter that one cannot make correct change  for a dollar long as they do the process with some particular thinking pattern. Kids get partial credit for wrong answers to math questions if they use the right system to get their wrong answer, and no credit for corect answers if they arrive at their answer by means other than those designed by the critical thinking guru's. One must learn their way, yet it is called critical thinking as though it was the student's way worked out by the student. It is nutsy!

Learning must go on all of life, not 12 years not 16  not 8, but on as long as one wants progress and especially if one is to gain in ability to serve our Lord, and math and mathematical formulas well it is a tremendous component within that process, without it one is severely crippled.

Please, watch your language when you post in these forums .....you are old enough to know better! You will leave me no choice but to notify the Mods if this happens again!Try to refrain from using that word again— —-  “ piddle”....... lol......

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

On 6/21/2019 at 10:07 AM, dr3032 said:

To get kids away from the home and also so that they can be trained for their adult life.

Issue there is, it typically does a poor job of it. You don't go to school and learn chores, that's the parent's job. Same thing with cooking, budgeting, home maintenance, or much of anything related to actual job experience. Then when it comes time for college, where any actual training CAN begin (not to say it will because many classes offered are pointless), bankers have made it entirely too expensive for a good portion of the population and much of what they teach could really be learned through on-the-job training. Then you got technology making teachers more lazy and incompetent (many of whom are demanding higher pay), kids getting called purple penguins to avoid upsetting their gender sensibility, and children being taught all the joys and thrills of taboo sexual things. In this, it is revealed to be a massive waste of time and an attempt by the enemy to target our kids and warp their mentalities for the rest of their lives.

As for why it is years here and years there, the reasons vary. Some schools are more rigorous or the population needs workers ASAP. Other cultures view the age of maturity differently, and even other states.

I agree that schools might not be explicitly teaching students that many non-academic life skills (which I personally believe to be mainly the parent(s)' duty, however if certain children aren't being taught certain skills by their parents I think they might as well benefit from instruction in those skills elsewhere), however I have heard of home economics classes and when I was in secondary school there were in fact things such as mandatory cooking classes.

Edited by JesusChristisLord

• Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,644
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

School itself is the means by which successive generations are prepared to deal with life.

An investment well spent.

Ideally.

In recent generations (the last 100 years or so) the focus has devolved to strictly

secular humanism. 

Humanism, according to the Bible, is satanic (Matthew 16:13-23 with particular emphasis on verses 17 and 23 / John 8:44 etc.). 

The very purpose of school is therefore on a downward spiral to self defeat.

Eventually jungle law will prevail again as in the days before the Great Flood.

• Thumbs Up 1

The reason secular humanists guard bastions  of liberalism (like the eductation system or the media) so intensely

is because these are their inroads to mass control.

Felicity Huffman and others found out the hard way

even individual liberals are not immune to being slapped down hard

for tampering with one of the bastions of liberalism / humanism / satanism.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

On 6/21/2019 at 4:45 AM, JesusChristisLord said:

Why was school created and why is primary and secondary school combined usually 12 years in total?

Why is the minimum school leaving age around the world mostly 13/14-18 and why does it vary between countries and states?

School was created so kids can be literate. It is all about learning. After you finish grade school and high school you have a choice to go on to college so you can find a job that pays enough to support yourself adequately. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,460
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

That's a good question and I've really never though about it.

I'm going to make some speculations based on the history or America, I can't speculated on other countries. It appears when the government started to stick their nose in the public educational system, taking it away from local control by incentives, grants, etc., the rules started to change along with the curriculum and approved text books. Between the government, unions and National Education Association (NEA); I suspect they changed the standards. 

The actual structure of public schools has evolved from agrarian societies to urban.

The summer break, for example, was to free children to work on their family farms

and not to just run amok for three months.

The 12 year average for school is based on maximizing the amount of time available

to train youths before their use in the military service / entry level in the service industry /

moving into higher learning.

On [average] much later than 17 or 18 youths begin to be less pliable regarding learning and

being influenced enough to be assimilated into the military culture.

Personally, I've opted for year around schools with graduation depending on the aptitude of the 

individual. College at 15? Sure. Under supervision of course. Dorm parents are nothing new. 

Schools would also (under my plan) would actually train children for the lives they face as

parents, budget planners, doing household chores (guys too: laundry, cooking, cleaning meal planning and prep),

exposure to most career fields to give them some idea of what's out there and what they may want to do (rather than

taking dead end jobs to make ends meet). What if Jane is an astrophysicist at heart but doesn't even know it exists and

ends up working at a fast food restaurant doing what she hates?

Field trips, work experience, job fairs), marriage counseling / mock pregnancy (where both genders wear

the prosthetic mommy tummy to experience what the wife will go through).  

In addition to the usual curriculum taught in most schools. 

There should be balanced and honest courses into comparative religions (including secularism and atheism) devoid of 

bias or influential pleading (i.e. "since we KNOW evolution is fact..." or even Christianity for that matter). At best a professor

can only say, "according to _______________ which I personally believe to be true..."  but then they must be willing to defend any

challenge to their beliefs once they open the door to challenge by planting their flag in the sand (so to speak).

The very Constitution of The United States was written the way it was with regard to Christianity as the truth that can and will 

stand on its own without the bias of Law (other than the Constitutional right to exercise it freely). In the minds of the founding fathers,

to make Christianity a law of the land would besmirch Christianity. On a level playing field (unlike schools and the public square itself today)

Christianity will always prevail for the simple fact that it is true. 

I believe graduation should also include going through military boot camp. Perhaps a shortened version. At which point the individual can decide

whether or not to continue to serve (having been through the hardest part already) or go to higher education or the job market. 

School should instill responsibility and being a productive member of society as what is expected of all.  Equality (with respect to differences)

the arts (especially for those with talent or even just the strong desire or interest) ← which I believe would make the vile thing the entertainment

industry has become a thing of the past (or at least a small option in the vast choices in true entertainment) that will come from putting the arts

back on par with sports.

The humanists have overrun the public education system getting a toehold through appeals to a sense of fairness through equal time.

By professorial bullying, Christians falling asleep at the wheel and pulling out of politics etc. the humanists gained a stronghold, and now

they have no intention of being fair and especially not allowing Christianity equal time.

Being a Christian parent ever since has meant double duty training your children to prepare for the satanic onslaught that we call 

public education today. Otherwise, we lose the children at this vulnerably pliable time in their lives.

• 9 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 6/21/2019 at 12:45 PM, JesusChristisLord said:

Why was school created and why is primary and secondary school combined usually 12 years in total?

Why is the minimum school leaving age around the world mostly 13/14-18 and why does it vary between countries and states?

I think it is tailor made for people that need mental focus. The mid/end of the teenage years is where the person can be moulded into a person that works harder and is more reliable for companies and in their studies. That is just my opinion. Girls and guys do extremely well at school but as times goes on they lose that focus and mentality. I have seen that with my own eyes. For example my friend at school can barely speak good English nowadays, he did better than me at school. I got an E he got a C. Not to say that i am smart but i am just proving my point.