christian dispute in court

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,215
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  3

(1 Corinthians 6:1-8) can a christian take another christian to court ?

In Acts 25: 10-12 we know that Paul himself appealed to Caesar exercising his right to defend himself before his fellow Jews. He choose a Roman court rather than the Sanhedrin the courts of the Jews to get justice .

In Micah, we have a covenant law suit. God took Israel TO COURT. It’s a court scene. God is the plaintiff. Israel is the defendant. Israel is in a covenant relationship with God. God had told them exactly what He expected of them. He had given them the Torah - instructions in righteousness. Deuteronomy 28:  we have the blessings of the covenant if you obey them and the curse of the covenant if you disobey.  When Israel violated the terms of the covenant God took them to court

It is God Himself that appointed or instituted the civil courts to uphold justice .The church is not a legal institution. It does not have the legal skill to deal with the larger more complex dispute.

Problem with the Corinthians church

·The offense is considered “small” – something so trivial that it can easily be resolved by fellow-Christians ( 6:2). Jesus said the same thing in Mathew 5.If any man wants to sue you for a small amount, let him have it. If he takes your shirt , let him have your coat also. Don’t insist on your personal right even though you may suffer injustice as a result.ITS ONLY A SMALL AMOUNT.

To conclude

Christians are never forbidden by God to initiate legal action to preserve justice or receive a righteous judgment either against other Christians or unbelievers.

However since in the matters of litigation every case is unique and there are rarely any simple answer, only you can decide what the Lord requires of you, based upon the instruction of the Scriptures and the input of godly counsel.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

4 minutes ago, jacquelineinfo3@gmail.com said:

Christians are never forbidden by God to initiate legal action to preserve justice or receive a righteous judgment either against other Christians or unbelievers.

However since in the matters of litigation every case is unique and there are rarely any simple answer, only you can decide what the Lord requires of you, based upon the instruction of the Scriptures and the input of godly counsel.

Thanks for bringing this up. I got into a litigation against both the realtor and seller of a home, who had falsified documents concerning the status of the presence of termite infestation. There was hidden structural damage, which was constructed by the sellers to cover up the apparent on-going situation. I first discovered this out by finding two different tags from two pest abatement services. Basically, it's known as a failure to disclose. A real estate 'no-no'. 

It was disputed by both parties, so the case ended up in small claims court. There was 'iron clad' evidence with pictures and all, but we lost the case before the judge who was pro tem. Came to find out later, he was a personal friend of the realtor. By all ethical standards, he should have opted out of the case due to his relations in the matter. It came to light some time after, this pro tem found himself disbarred for this. Justice prevailed, but I was still out $15oo for losses. 

P.S. The realtor in this case was a worship service leader. So much for honest and upstanding dealings. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Spent seven years in civil courts, State and federal. No fun, very expensive, just not worth even a win, and certainly not a loss.  To paraphrase; Where do I go to get my seven years back? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

The only one that wins in the court is the court. Justice is with God.

My dad moved out of a house in decent condition years ago. The landlady came and found tons of "damage". She got in contact with a lawyer, who was both a friend of hers and very crooked, and filed a lawsuit against my dad. Except, being a crooked lawyer, he never sent my dad any papers and so he never knew about it. Lo and behold, if you're not present in court, it's taken as guilt and so he was stuck with a debt. He ended up having to pay her around... I think he said somewhere from $1300 to $1700 before he was able to prove in court that there was no damages. Then he had court fees on top of that.

It's almost funny how people go out of their way to be petty, but it's really not funny.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Spent seven years in civil courts, State and federal. No fun, very expensive, just not worth even a win, and certainly not a loss.  To paraphrase; Where do I go to get my seven years back? 

To Jesus,  as written:   Yahuweh will restore (to Ekklesia, His people) what the caterpillar ate,  and what the other pests devoured ....

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Christians should not take each other to court. That is born again Christians not a person who is a Christian in name only. Taking an unbeliever to court may be done after prayer and guidance and direction from God for protection of their rights. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Going into civil courts is a serious game played at great personal cost regardless of the outcome. For no one goes in thinking; I will lose, I am wrong, and the wrong doer here. Instead, each party thinks themselves pure, righteous, and wronged by another.  That thinking does not often lead to doing that which glorifies God. Avoid court eat the loss move on, life is short, too short to be crying over loses of earthly gains, and then having to sell Jesus on  our righteous motives for being in civil courts in the first place.

There is an old axiom in financial investing too, run from investments that have litigation going on, even after reading all the briefs all the lower court rulings that say your investment is on the right side, the risk is  that just one time a ruling will go against your interests and your value in the investment will go south, far south and often  to zero permanently. Just don't get suckered into thinking;  I am on the champion's side, we will win. Not worth it, not in time money, nor thought of personal reward for being right. 

The winner is always who? Who? The attornies for all sides!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,215
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  3

yes Beau I can relate to what you are saying. Worship leaders are the worst to trust. You think that because they are worship leaders, there would be integrity and the fear of the LORD upon them. such is not the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

On 6/21/2019 at 8:08 AM, jacquelineinfo3@gmail.com said:

(1 Corinthians 6:1-8) can a christian take another christian to court ?

In Acts 25: 10-12 we know that Paul himself appealed to Caesar exercising his right to defend himself before his fellow Jews. He choose a Roman court rather than the Sanhedrin the courts of the Jews to get justice .

In Micah, we have a covenant law suit. God took Israel TO COURT. It’s a court scene. God is the plaintiff. Israel is the defendant. Israel is in a covenant relationship with God. God had told them exactly what He expected of them. He had given them the Torah - instructions in righteousness. Deuteronomy 28:  we have the blessings of the covenant if you obey them and the curse of the covenant if you disobey.  When Israel violated the terms of the covenant God took them to court

It is God Himself that appointed or instituted the civil courts to uphold justice .The church is not a legal institution. It does not have the legal skill to deal with the larger more complex dispute.

Problem with the Corinthians church

·The offense is considered “small” – something so trivial that it can easily be resolved by fellow-Christians ( 6:2). Jesus said the same thing in Mathew 5.If any man wants to sue you for a small amount, let him have it. If he takes your shirt , let him have your coat also. Don’t insist on your personal right even though you may suffer injustice as a result.ITS ONLY A SMALL AMOUNT.

To conclude

Hi,

You're on to something here that could really expand greatly, so my short view... Heaven has structure, council, administration and government; God instituted and ordained human government; that is clear. Remember Moses couldn't handle all the petty disputes by himself; so by some godly advice, he instituted a type of government, from judge and monarchy, into a court type shared responsibility.

Christians are still humans and subject to personal and government disputes and slights. We are to submit ourselves to our form of government and decisions, providing it's not against our Lord's commandments and will. We are to give what is due Caesar and submit ourselves to the laws if they do not violate God's laws and commandments.  

That's how I see it anyway...

P.S. An oxymoron. A lawyer is morally and legally responsible in our justice system to represent their client by any and all means available to include; lying, fabrication, fraternization, withholding and deceit. Honest Abe?

Edited by Dennis1209
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

22 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Judge Judy docket 741; the case of Jacob vs. Laban  :)