Bad to good or lost to saved

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I was looking at a sermon around Easter and I have been pondering something he said the Bible is not meant to turn bad people good but to save the lost...but isn't that what is meant by lost that your caught in the world and are doing no good for anyone...when you turn to God and you give your life to following Jesus isn't it expected of you to follow the bible.do good in the name of the Lord not to turn back to what it was you were doing. What is exactly meant by saving the lost and does that mean if I'm saved I can go out and do what ever I want as long as I read the Bible and believe that Christ died on the cross for my sins there for I can sin as much as I want...I know it says in the Bible our good deeds are like cloths of dirt but I'm trying to figure out why should a person do things like respect his neighbor or honor thy mother and father or any of the 10 commandments if it's about saving the lost instead of changing for the good and trying to walk in the light of Jesus..looking forward to some understanding

Edited by growinginJesus

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

Jesus purpose was not to change bad people into good people .....He came to make alive that which was dead....

“We were DEAD in trespasses and sin”

“ I have come to give life, and life more abundantly”

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,298
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, growinginJesus said:

I was looking at a sermon around Easter and I have been pondering something he said the Bible is not meant to turn bad people good but to save the lost...but isn't that what is meant by lost that your caught in the world and are doing no good for anyone...when you turn to God and you give your life to following Jesus isn't it expected of you to follow the bible.do good in the name of the Lord not to turn back to what it was you were doing. What is exactly meant by saving the lost and does that mean if I'm saved I can go out and do what ever I want as long as I read the Bible and believe that Christ died on the cross for my sins there for I can sin as much as I want...I know it says in the Bible our good deeds are like cloths of dirt but I'm trying to figure out why should a person do things like respect his neighbor or honor thy mother and father or any of the 10 commandments if it's about saving the lost instead of changing for the good and trying to walk in the light of Jesus..looking forward to some understanding

Just two basic points.

1, A Christian is someone who has accepted Jesus as there Lord and Saviour. That means they will obey Jesus's commands. Jesus said if you love me you will obey my commands. Going out and sinning is not doing either of those things.

2, Non Christians do a great many good things. Just because they aren't Christian does not mean what they do is bad.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

10 hours ago, growinginJesus said:

I'm saved I can go out and do what ever I want as long as I read the Bible and believe that Christ died on the cross for my sins there for I can sin as much as I want...

Odd how a lot of people from the RCC also think along these lines. 

I'm saved I can go out and do what ever I want as long as I read the Bible and believe that Christ died on the cross for my sins there for I can sin as much as I want...

You are right , you can do “ whatever you want”. Try it and get back to me if you do whatever you want and get away with it.If,by chance , you do whatever you feel Ike doing and you “ do “ get away with it, you got bigger problems than you know.....If you are a Child Of God you will be chastised for sinning and if you don’t get chastised you are none of His.....not as rosy as you thought,is it.....you think God is going to be mocked?

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

I'm saved I can go out and do what ever I want as long as I read the Bible and believe that Christ died on the cross for my sins there for I can sin as much as I want...

You are right , you can do “ whatever you want”. Try it and get back to me if you do whatever you want and get away with it.If,by chance , you do whatever you feel Ike doing and you “ do “ get away with it, you got bigger problems than you know.....If you are a Child Of God you will be chastised for sinning and if you don’t get chastised you are none of His.....not as rosy as you thought,is it.....you think God is going to be mocked?

I'm sorry, were you addressing me? And are you implying I think this? ( copied in bold ) :foot-stomp:

I just saw the quote and responded to it.....I went back in the thread to see where it originated but I came up e pty.......It was not you at all.....sorry about any confusion....I am heavily medicated.....lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

I just saw the quote and responded to it.....I went back in the thread to see where it originated but I came up e pty.......It was not you at all.....sorry about any confusion....I am heavily medicated.....lol

Oh, okay. I gives ya a big ol' squishy hug then! :bighug2:

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom @growinginJesus,

An interesting question and it shows that your wisdom on the matter is in conflict with misunderstandings of some.  I'll try to answer as basically as possible, but please don't think I'm being patronizing! 

The Gospel message is indeed for the lost. It won't turn everyone to Yahweh, but it will turn some.  The lost are bad in varying degrees and some can be terribly bad (persecuting the Church) but all of them are bad.  They're bad because they are not with Yahweh, who is good.  Therefore, their every action contrary to His ways are not good - "a miss" translated from Hebrew or the word "sin" in English. 

What about those who won't turn though? Doesn't that go against the message that everyone can be saved?  No, not really.  The Bible's message makes it clear that there are some who will not turn or listen to Yahweh.  This is true with the Gospel today, some will simply not listen now or later. Not everyone will be saved.

So what of the lost person who is now saved?  Can they now live any way they want because they are saved?  No, not really.  The Bible's message makes it clear that there are some who please Yahweh by walking after his ways.  When that happens, His blessing is upon them.  When that doesn't happen, He afflicts them, but in mercy for the sake of correction.  The Bible reiterates this message of the Father's discipline throughout, and should give us great peace to know all good and bad things come from Him - even the works of hasatan.

So how is the Christian suppose to walk?  What were they saved for?  We are told in the Bible that we were saved for good works, towards Yahweh and towards our neighbour.  We're called to be a loving family.  With that, comes standards and rules to abide by.  However, the more you give of yourself to Yahweh the more you'll find that you're naturally walking in a way that supersedes the standards and rules.  Not meaning you are free to violate them, but rather that you naturally don't violate them.  Such a thing cannot be achieved without His blessing of the Holy Spirit who strengthens and guides us gently before we need reach correction.

But you were not saved to get others saved.  In an ideal world, imagine everyone that gets saved then saves another two, until the whole world is saved.  Wouldn't they then have no purpose?  Wouldn't they then have no opportunity for gaining the Heavenly rewards spoken of?  Why then were you saved?  Because Yahweh loves you and wants to be in your life.  He wants to show you how much He loves you and how great His mercy and kindness is.  When you were lost you reaped those benefits and took them for all for granted.  You called significant moments "coincidences" and "karma".  You were lost because you were blind and thought you were alone.  But now you are saved, you are found and can see and realise you are never alone!  So, what now...

For someone who knows the truth, they can choose how they react to it:  

Haters - Some know the truth and hate it, such as hasatan and his kingdom.  They know that the Lord Jesus came and died for our sins to save us and rose again to immortality.  They might know it more than you, they might believe it more than you BUT they hate it - therefore, they have no part in a glorious eternity.  

Passives - Some know the truth but halfheartedly follow.  They believe the Gospel of the Lord Jesus but don't really follow His ways by twisting His message, with clever sounding arguments, to ultimately accommodate for their weaknesses and vindicate their path.

Actives - Some know the truth and follow it, regardless the cost.  The believe the Gospel of the Lord Jesus and follow His ways, even if they trip from time to time.  They choose to live by the Lord Jesus' message and reform their ways, doing good works for Yahweh and for their brothers and sisters.

If someone falls into the Passive section, they are likely be confused by the "so what now..." part of Christianity.  They will place more emphasis on spreading the Word as the goal.  They might have confusing and complicated interpretations of some sections in the Bible, originating from teachings of man.  Passive with the truth doesn't mean passive with action though.  They can show many outwardly active signs of faith such as hosting home groups, leading worship bands or even lead churches.

If someone falls into the Active section, they are likely to be rejoicing in the "so what now.." part of Christianity.  For each day is another opportunity to love Yahweh, learn about Him and love our neighbour and learn about them.  Their emphasis will be on walking with Yahweh and therefore, they become like a light of witness to others and a testimony of truth and blessing.  They will take the Bible literally, unfiltered by the interpretations of man, even if it's at their own detriment.  

So, @growinginJesus, you are right to be confused on this matter.  It sounds like you have the heart of an "Active" but are hearing teachings or getting guidance from "Passives", and the two are in conflict.  

Imagine you could forget all that you have learned about Christianity and Catholicism and you could forget all the preconceived ideas and assumptions you have.  If you read the Bible, from start to finish, how would you say you should walk?  What way would please Yahweh, have Him bless you and store up Heavenly rewards?  If you're not sure, don't worry, just take it back to basics and start from the beginning - assuming nothing.  But, if you have learned, then walk that way and you will be blessed - and don't divert your path because of an alluring teaching or one that adds or subtracts to the Word.  If it's not in the Bible or requires you to ignore parts of the Bible, don't listen to it.  Consume the Word daily, like Manna, and you'll see incorrect teachings easier.

I'm sorry, I have rambled on again.  I hope something in that helps you.

Love & Shalom 

• Thumbs Up 2

46 minutes ago, Tzephanyahu said:

I'm sorry, I have rambled on again.  

No problem, bro. At least you don't use 'scripture bombing' techniques. :rolleyes:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Haha 1