johnthebaptist

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Nah its my fault. I read it too quickly when Im tired. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

43 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

Nah its my fault. I read it too quickly when Im tired. 

Thats Ok ......I made a mistake once .I though I was wrong about something and it turned out I was right....lol

thats a repeat, but maybe somebody missed it the first time around

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,916
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

49 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Thats Ok ......I made a mistake once .I though I was wrong about something and it turned out I was right....lol

I think I know what that was, but I won't say anything. :doh:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,220
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  3

the bible is life changing. it can transform your heart if you will receive the word of God which is able to save your soul

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,556
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

I keep making stupid, misleading posts.....think i’ll Switch from the red pills to the green ones.....could ‘t Hurt....could it?   Lol

Have to take the green ones with some food. Oreos are nice with them, try a tube.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,556
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

9 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

Some people view the Bible as the Word of God. Others don’t think the Bible always tells the truth. My belief is that the Bible is a history, important because it quotes God and Jesus and their teachings that lead to eternal peace.

Hi, May I add my own commentary, well probably heavily influenced by the commentary  of W. A. Criswell, Paige Patterson, Zola Levitt and others more than me.

The Bible is a collection of books, or scrolls, the various scrolls or books and letters written  by many authors over a period of time of perhaps two thousand years, all under divine revelation of God. In the original languages as written they are accurate and are not books of history, nor math, nor science, though they contain each. They are the reveal of Jesus and the plan of salvation for man in  this fallen creation.

Whether 66 books or less or more is a matter of the committees of men commissioned to do their best to accurately compile the word of God and present it faithfully, and to do so in many differing languages so that many may read the word of God. The numberings of books, and the adding  of versing numbers, paragraphs, and chapters, is the work of man, and of men trying to add cohesiveness for the purpose of making comparison study more organized.

While some have 1st Kings and 2nd Kings others just have Kings as example and therefore a different number of "books" but the same content.

Translation into many many languages is a continuing miracle of Pentecost, making it  possible for many if not all  to hear ( Read) the word of God in their own languages.

The collective Bible is a book of destiny,  a book of redemption, and the book of the reveal of Jesus.

It is the armor of God, sufficient when it's words are made understandable by God the Holy Spirit, to defend those that are to be gathered by the Good Shepherd to eternal life with God, from the resources of evil which are Satan his minions and demons and fallen man himself.

Jesus quoted the Bible, that is what He shared. He spoke as though He believed it. He spoke of Jonah as though the account of Jonah as example is a literal event, not an allegoric tale.  He said that like Jonah he too....

I personally accept and live by the understanding that though not inspired in English language the Bible is accurate in English by the will of God over men doing their best to be faithful to the original languages, and that it is literal, and shares real events, and real prophesy, all revealing the way  to redemption which is in Christ Jesus only. That as is written  Jesus said; I am the way...

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

7 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

Some people view the Bible as the Word of God. Others don’t think the Bible always tells the truth. My belief is that the Bible is a history, important because it quotes God and Jesus and their teachings that lead to eternal peace.

My impression is that this is not too far from my view on the Bible but I would nuance and explain it much more carefully to avoid misunderstanding.

I see two aspects to the Christian use of scripture, one is a direct spiritual use by God to change people in particular situations, and the other is as an authoritative standard for all Christians at all times.    I think the proper use of scripture requires discernment and balance.  It must include both the work of the Holy Spirit across millennia in the body of Christ as a whole and in our individual day to day lives.  

It is the Holy Spirit's direct active work that changes people which brings a spiritual empowerment to particular sections of the Bible at particular times in someone's life.  I have heard countless testimonies over the years of how people's lives have been changed by the Holy Spirit bringing to life particular passages and verses in a way that spoke to them in a way that helped them grow.  This is God directly using parts of the Bible to speak to people's hearts in transformative ways.  Sometimes this is done with careful contextual studies, but more often it is simply that a particular verse regardless of context just spiritually jumps out and affects us.  It is the sinner really hearing John 3:16 for the first time with the Holy Spirit drawing them to the Father through Jesus Christ.   This is in contrast to Christians having theological debates over what John 3:16 "really" means from a theological perspective and if it truly an offer of salvation to all human beings or only the predestined elect.   I believe that the Holy Spirit directly empowering a verse to speak to someone's heart and change their life stands in stark contrast to Christians arguing over whether such a verse supports OSAS or not.  I also think the Holy Spirit directly empowering a particular passage for ministry to someone at times stands in contrast to Christians spouting their opinions about things by quoting particular verses that reflect their opinions.  This work of the Holy Spirit is primarily a spiritual one that can at times be separated from good study habits or context.  It is about a particular message for a particular time and place.   This is the person going through a rough time in life reading in Acts about Paul and his companions being shipwrecked and God speaking a message of comfort and encouragement that He is there in the storm.

As an authoritative standard for the entire body of Christ, I think we need to consider the entire Bible in its original languages, along with the testimony and witness of how Christians through the ages have understood it, along with what we can learn of historical context and other things.  It is looking to all sources and considering their spiritual credibility to best understand what is being said in any particular book or passage.   In practice, most Christians understand this (and hence we see most Christians ignoring OT prohibitions on eating pork for example).  Issues such as what the Bible teaches about women in ministry come down to how this is approached.  As a practical matter, most churches and denominations have their preferred way of doing this and carefully indoctrinate their members and attenders as to the "correct" way to approach this.   For me, this is about building a house on rock or sand.  I try to carefully look at the long term fruit of large groups of Christians with different views on things as well as individuals I've observed.  For example, the long term fruit of calvinists and arminians seems about equal over centuries of time and I cannot see any appreciable difference in individual Christians I've know.  In contrast, the long term fruit (on the order of decades) of some mainline denominations with strong modernist/rationalist movements tends to be one of declining and aging membership.  A part of this takes the Bible rationalistically assuming it is largely not historical in nature and is part of decades long trends of shrinking membership.   I personally try to separate out those things that spiritually vibrant Christians throughout the ages have disagreed on versus those things that are held by groups that basically spiritually died out.  I also try to understand God's principles and character which remain constant over the millennia from the specific examples given in specific times and places.

Where I see Christians getting unbalanced is when they depart from either of these two practices in various ways.  I've seen some Christians take an almost superstitious view of the Bible as something akin to magic where each and every word and sentence has spiritual power and authority to be addressed to any and every situation in life.  Frankly, this often ends up being them expressing their opinions by picking a random verse that expresses a particular opinion and adding "thus saith the LORD" authority to their personal opinion.   This sometimes reaches a point where any amount of contextual study is dismissed and anyone who disagrees is obviously rejecting God.   I've seen others go to the other extreme where convoluted studies and analyses become how they see scripture.  They learn some theological terms from their church, the "proper" interpretation of a few proof texts, some explanations of what the Bible really teaches, and they are off to the races explaining everything they see in the Bible on that basis and rejecting anything that disagrees with that as unscriptural.  I believe we need to carefully discern the Holy Spirit's prompting and use of scripture to individual hearts for individual times and situations.  I believe we need to carefully study and discern the Holy Spirit's activity in the body of Christ across millennia as well as today and how Christians in different parts of the body of Christ have understood scripture.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

7 hours ago, Michael37 said:

So a bit more than history...:amen:

Well, if you want to find peace, you have to do what the Lord told us to do.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  41,137
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

11 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

God teaches His Word is verbal plenary inspired...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Hello,

Personally, I make a little distinction between the word of God and the scripture on paper.

The Bible tells us some histories and also express the thoughts and word of God for us.

Have a good week-end.