IGNORED

harry potter

Guest debate-confusion

Guest debate-confusion

isnt liking harry potter a sin? because it has to deal with witchcraft and magic??? :21:

Guest serrae

Harry Potter is well written and entertaining.

However it does promote witchcraft and black magic etc.

I think if you bear this in mind it is not a sin to read and enjoy. Anymore than reading Grimm's fairy tales or even 'Noddy'with the goblins etc.

Lets be sensible.

Personally I have read Harry Potter but do find the dabbling with the occult which is celebrated in it offensive.After reading the first book I felt I could not be bothered with the subsequent series for this reason.

Pray about it and then follow your own conscience. :21:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1

But why be wishy-washy about Harry Potter and wizardry? Hasn't the Lord God already spoken to wizardry, sorcery, necromancy & such like in Deuteronomy 18? Seems He has. Satan can be quite a spinner, yes?

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

Guest Samaritan

Isn't Harry Potter a white magician - like Moses? The books are the usual story of good v evil - or am I talking rot again?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

But why be wishy-washy about Harry Potter and wizardry? Hasn't the Lord God already spoken to wizardry, sorcery, necromancy & such like in Deuteronomy 18? Seems He has. Satan can be quite a spinner, yes?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen..This is how people get involved in things they shouldn't. Satan makes it look innocent enough but sin is insidious. Harry Potter should be avoided at all costs, I don't care how well written and entertaining it is. Christians do not need to be dabbling in this.

Guest Bro Davidâ„¢

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen..This is how people get involved in things they shouldn't. Satan makes it look innocent enough but sin is insidious. Harry Potter should be avoided at all costs, I don't care how well written and entertaining it is. Christians do not need to be dabbling in this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen !

Well said.

:rofl:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/24/1981

Magic is real. No really it is. And the spells in Harry Potter are real too. I swear.

Guys, if it gets to the point when the kids know it's fiction, but the adults don't, you have to start questioning the effectiveness of our education system.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.09
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I'm going to have to agree with ScientificAtheist on this one. Its pretend, its not meant to be taken as real and I've never met anyone child, or adult who thought it was, well until I came here. Are all of you going to tell me you never pretended to be a cowboy or and astronaut when you were growing up? Never played Tarzan or fought a dragon? Same thing folks, its getting children to READ and almost unbelievable feat in this day of illerate graduating classes.

Worry about drugs in school, gang violence, peer pressure to have sex or drink, these things are real and what should be priorities on every "grown-ups" mind, not pretend characters from a book.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Content Count:  349
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

Isn't Harry Potter a white magician - like Moses? The books are the usual story of good v evil - or am I talking rot again?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Samaritan,

Moses was not a magician. Moses was a servant of God. The miracles of which he was able to perform were those of God.

Although, it is true that the Harry Potter series does take on the usual plot of the battle between good and evil. At the same time, it is in its own way encouraging witchcraft.

All in all, it depends on how a person would choose to look at it.

May God Bless You

Danielle

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  03/24/1981

Worry about drugs in school, gang violence, peer pressure to have sex or drink

Exactly, there are so many real issues we ought to worry about for our children - without devoting our time to issues that even our children know are make-believe. I like Kahlan have never met a child who believes Harry Potter to be anything else than fiction and fantasy - and before coming here I've never met an adult who thought that Harry Potter is anything else but a good moral fable for children about growing up, power and responsibility.

The author doesn't believe in the magic in there, the kids don't, and the parents don't - so lets focus on real problems, like drug and alcohol abuse, poverty, ill-health etc.