• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,900
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

Tonight, about 9pm NZ time (Monday night) one of our TV channels started streaming coverage of Christian brother and sister Nik & Lijana Wallender crossing New York's Time Square on the hi-wire. I'm still watching the repeat of their feat which was accompanied the whole time by audio of them talking to each other and their father plus praying and praising God, lifting up the name of Jesus and with moments of singing to Christian music feeding into their headsets. Link to Christian Post Lead-up Article

On Thursday morning, however, less than 72 hours before he walks a 1,300-foot tightrope 25 stories above Times Square on Sunday, which will be broadcast live on ABC at 8 p.m. ET, Wallenda revealed to The Christian Post how fear almost prevented him from ever performing another stunt again after the fall.

Amazing Stuff. It's now 11.09pm here.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,276
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

I watched it live.... when the Wallenda family pyramid had a major fall in 2017, the sister was very severely injured.   She suffered from PTSD over that.

Last night both brother and sister were on the high wire approaching each other from opposite ends.   It took the brother about 30 minutes to complete the walk, and the sister took 35 minutes.

They had prayer before the act with a pastor.   During the act, brother and sister were praying, singing and praising God outloud as they walked the wire 25 stories above Times Square!!

The wire is only as wide as a bottle cap....3/4 inches wide!!

• Praise God! 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

18 minutes ago, Debp said:

I watched it live.... when the Wallenda family pyramid had a major fall in 2017, the sister was very severely injured.   She suffered from PTSD over that.

Last night both brother and sister were on the high wire approaching each other from opposite ends.   It took the brother about 30 minutes to complete the walk, and the sister took 35 minutes.

They had prayer before the act with a pastor.   During the act, brother and sister were praying, singing and praising God outloud as they walked the wire 25 stories above Times Square!!

The wire is only as wide as a bottle cap....3/4 inches wide!!

It must be in their blood, looking into the archives that go back to great grandfather Karl Wallenda 

"Karl Wallenda was born in Magdeburg, Germany, in 1905 to an old circus family, and began performing at the age of six. While still in his teens he answered an ad for a "hand balancer with courage". His employer, Louis Weitzman, taught him the trade. In 1922, Karl put together his own act with his brother Herman, Joseph Geiger, and a teenage girl, Helen Kreis, who eventually became his wife." [Source: Wkpd]

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

It must be in their blood, looking into the archives that go back to great grandfather Karl Wallenda 

"Karl Wallenda was born in Magdeburg, Germany, in 1905 to an old circus family, and began performing at the age of six. While still in his teens he answered an ad for a "hand balancer with courage". His employer, Louis Weitzman, taught him the trade. In 1922, Karl put together his own act with his brother Herman, Joseph Geiger, and a teenage girl, Helen Kreis, who eventually became his wife." [Source: Wkpd]

Yes, they are a famous, old time circus act.... famous for their huge pyramid of family members on the tight rope or high wire.   They had other major falls, someone died, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Debp said:

Yes, they are a famous, old time circus act.... famous for their huge pyramid of family members on the tight rope or high wire.   They had other major falls, someone died, too.

A good thing these ones know the Lord, and it was good to see such a public confession of their faith, particularly Lijana. Very "uplifting" :emot-dance:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  0

I heard about this family doing a circus act in Times Square I knew that they were Christians that's wonderful that they had prayer before they did the act

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

I watched this last night. Ive watched nik do other walks. When he walked the grand canyon a few years ago, naturally being an arizonan and having ties to the navajos, it was exciting to me. Before that, the same pastor prayed with him and his family. He also praised Jesus during his walk. 

Listening to them last night brought tears to my eyes. It is wonderful to see the Lord glorified on national tv. Whether they intended it this way or not, it is a wonderful witness of Christ.

Nik and lijana are 7th generation tightrope walkers. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, shortangel said:

I heard about this family doing a circus act in Times Square I knew that they were Christians that's wonderful that they had prayer before they did the act

Yes, and during their act, too....while on the wire, they were praying, singing, talking of God's promises.

I don't like heights, like being on top of a high rise.   In a airplane I'm ok.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  407
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

Christians need to slow down and think about this life-style that involves high risk activities, such as tight-rope walking.  Christians follow the precepts in the Bible and since God is “the source of life.” (Psalm 36:9)  He has given us what we need to enjoy life. (Psalm 139:14; Acts 14:16, 17; 17:24-28) It is reasonable, therefore, to conclude that He expects us to care for what He has so kindly given us. Laws and principles given to the nation of Israel help us appreciate this fact.

The Mosaic Law required that an individual take steps to protect the lives of others. If this was not done and a life was lost, the one who could have prevented the tragedy would be considered bloodguilty. For example, a homeowner was commanded to build a low wall or railing, called a parapet, around the flat roof of his new house. Otherwise, bloodguilt would come upon the house if someone fell to his death from the roof. (Deuteronomy 22:8) If a bull unexpectedly gored a person to death, the owner of the bull would not be held responsible. On the other hand, if the bull was known to be dangerous and the owner had been warned but did not keep the bull properly guarded, then if the bull gored someone, the owner of the bull would be considered bloodguilty and could be put to death. (Exodus 21:28, 29) Since life is precious to God, His Law reflected a high regard for the preservation and protection of life.

Faithful servants of God understood that these principles extended to taking personal risks as well. In one Bible account, David expressed his desire to be able to “have a drink of the water from the cistern of Bethlehem.” Bethlehem was under Philistine control at the time. On hearing David’s request, three of his soldiers forced their way into the camp of the Philistines, drew out water from the cistern of Bethlehem, and brought it back to David. How did David react? He would not drink the water but, rather, poured it out on the ground. He said: “It is unthinkable on my part, as regards my God, to do this! Is it the blood of these men that I should drink at the risk of their souls? For it was at the risk of their souls that they brought it.” (1 Chronicles 11:17-19) To David it was unthinkable to risk a life for his personal satisfaction.

Thus, Christians should ask if it an activity, be it for how one makes a living or a sport for recreation, is worth the risk.  Indeed, the evidence from the Bible is that Christians do well to consider the Creator’s view of the sacredness of life.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

I recall this hour long program on PBS called, Gizmo. It had film footage from around the 1930's - 40s, and was filled with interesting persons, feats, and inventions of all kinds. One scene had a woman walking a tight rope across Times Square in New York City. No sooner than making it to the other side, she was promptly arrested by police. With an astonished look on her face she said, "What's wrong?" Officer: "Didn't you know it's against the law to walk across Times Square on a tight rope?" Woman: "I had no idea." Officer: "You were supposed to." lol 

• Thumbs Up 1