Idolatry

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I practice soccer everyday. I’m training to become pro. I also watch it whenever I can. I still try to find time to read scripture and pray and I know it’s more important then soccer. Am I  idolizing soccer? How do I stop if I am?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/10/1972

5 minutes ago, Ryan2203 said:

I practice soccer everyday. I’m training to become pro. I also watch it whenever I can. I still try to find time to read scripture and pray and I know it’s more important then soccer. Am I  idolizing soccer? How do I stop if I am?

I am not well-versed in bible passages, but my understanding is that if you put soccer first, above all else (including time with and devotion to God), then it would be a sin. 

If you put God first by praying with all your heart that you give Him the glory for your skills, opportunities, and all soccer-related aspects of your life, then, I believe you will be right with God. Just remember that your life is not your own; give Him praises for all you have.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

19 hours ago, Ryan2203 said:

If you needed a shot of insulin every day to stay alive (at least if you were told and believed that),

what would you do FIRST ?     Play soccer or get the shot ?  Which one would you skip , if ever ? 

Do you know which one is more important ?

"SEEK FIRST THE KINGDOM OF GOD....."     no exceptions, ever. (well, if we sin,  we pray HE PICKS US UP!)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

As the others have said, it's a matter of which one you set first.

One a side note, did you know that there's a "Church of Maradona" in South America, an actual religion that focuses on former soccer player, Diego Maradona? They have a rule that a man must change his middle name to Diego and also name his first born son Diego. All things can act as an idol in the heart of man, apparently.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 6/24/2019 at 6:35 PM, Ryan2203 said:

I don't think you are necessarily idolizing soccer, but Paul taught us to pray constantly (1 Thess 5:17). I hope soccer isn't preventing you from doing that.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Am I  idolizing soccer?

Oh, so this is why you asked some time back if playing soccer was a sin. If you're training to be a professional in the sport, you'd be making a living from it. But just because you also enjoy watching it on television doesn't mean that you idolize the game. So relax bro, I think you're okay. God bless!

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

If you like soccer then the Lord wants you to enjoy it. If He has called you to be a pro then that is a blessing from God. If you still read scripture and pray that is good. You are trying to be a perfect Christian and there is no such thing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 6/25/2019 at 2:35 AM, Ryan2203 said:

Not at all Ryan, i wish you all the best, and dont forget God as you do this.