Journey365

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

So maybe sometimes you go to your local restaurants. As you know people usually give a tip after they eat. Well the restaurants suggests about 20%. So that is equal to $2 for every $10. Fancy restaurants are asking for 30% but that is outrageous. So let's just focus on the standard 20%.

I have 3 questions about tips..

No this isn't Game show Let's Make A Deal what's behind curtain number 1 curtain 2 or curtain 3 :24:

1 Are you the kind of person to try to get as close to 20% to leave a tip?

2 Are you the kind of person that will leave more then 20%?

3. Are you the kind of person that will either leave less 20%or no tip at all?

Let me give you my answer first..

I fit most likely in category 1.. However since I am low income I usually don't get expensive food. So usually $2 or $3.  I think there was one occasion where I left $5 but don't remember what for.

Ok you get the idea.. Who is next?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

If the service is good 20% is appropriate. If the service is bad no tip is appropriate. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  248
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  373
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  09/10/1963

When I go to a restaurant it all depends all about the waiter/waitress how well they did.

But when it comes to ordering out (especially Chinese restaurant) there is this one guy that sometimes delivers and he is really rude.

First he pounds on the door without giving me a chance to get to the door. Then when I get there and open it he shoves the receipt literally in my face. Then he gives this sarcastic look when I don't give him a tip.

Considering I'm low income and their food is way expensive what should be the problem? It's not like he doesn't get any tips all day long. When you order there's a tip in the bill. He wants another tip after he delivers. Well I keep thinking here's my tip to him.. Don't order from the establishment you work at because it's too expensive. :emot-LOL:

Edited by Waiting2BwithHim
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

4 hours ago, Waiting2BwithHim said:

When I go to a restaurant it all depends all about the waiter/waitress how well they did.

But when it comes to ordering out (especially Chinese restaurant) there is this one guy that sometimes delivers and he is really rude.

First he pounds on the door without giving me a chance to get to the door. Then when I get there and open it he shoves the receipt literally in my face. Then he gives this sarcastic look when I don't give him a tip.

Considering I'm low income and their food is way expensive what should be the problem? It's not like he doesn't get any tips all day long. When you order there's a tip in the bill. He wants another tip after he delivers. Well I keep thinking here's my tip to him.. Don't order from the establishment you work at because it's too expensive. :emot-LOL:

does the Chinese delivery guy speak English?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

I'm a softy.  These people, for the most part, do not always make minimum wage.  They sometimes have to "share" tips with other workers - I don't think that's right.

I always leave 20%.  Occasionally more.  I don't eat out a lot.  And if I do, it's not a fancy restaurant.  But if they bring my food to the table or come back and refill my glass or bring a take-home plate.  I tip.

There are far, far too many people who do not tip at all.  And too many Christians leaving the fake-money tracts as tips.  You know....it looks like money, but when  you pick it up, it's a tract and says, "I'm giving you something better than money."

• This is Worthy 2

12 hours ago, Journey365 said:

So maybe sometimes you go to your local restaurants. As you know people usually give a tip after they eat. Well the restaurants suggests about 20%. So that is equal to $2 for every $10. Fancy restaurants are asking for 30% but that is outrageous. So let's just focus on the standard 20%.

I have 3 questions about tips..

No this isn't Game show Let's Make A Deal what's behind curtain number 1 curtain 2 or curtain 3 :24:

1 Are you the kind of person to try to get as close to 20% to leave a tip?

2 Are you the kind of person that will leave more then 20%?

3. Are you the kind of person that will either leave less 20%or no tip at all?

Let me give you my answer first..

I fit most likely in category 1.. However since I am low income I usually don't get expensive food. So usually $2 or $3.  I think there was one occasion where I left $5 but don't remember what for.

Ok you get the idea.. Who is next?

it really depends on where we are and the total cost of the food...   whether or not it is just me or a group.

I do give at least 20% unless the service is really bad, then I leave two cents....   that is the intimate insult to a waiter.  Telling him/her I'm not cheap, but your service sucks.

When we are traveling I don't want to give less than 20% or it makes my state look bad...  

When we are at home and eating in a place we go all the time, I tip for the service I want to receive on my next trip.  at times it can be 50% if the total bill is not very high.   When we go to Ihop we get a really good discount because of our age and I split the savings with the waiter/waitress.   They do remember and take better care of you the next trip....    a couple of places we actually have them compete for our business.

If I am just having coffee with folks I always tip 100% or more depending on how many refills they give.

If I find they are in real need sometimes we will do whatever it takes to help them out...  I've been known to leave a $100 tip for someone who is in dire need.    I consider that part of what Jesus wants us to do for people.

6 minutes ago, Jayne said:

I'm a softy.  These people, for the most part, do not always make minimum wage.  They sometimes have to "share" tips with other workers - I don't think that's right.

I always leave 20%.  Occasionally more.  I don't eat out a lot.  And if I do, it's not a fancy restaurant.  But if they bring my food to the table or come back and refill my glass or bring a take-home plate.  I tip.

There are far, far too many people who do not tip at all.  And too many Christians leaving the fake-money tracts as tips.  You know....it looks like money, but when  you pick it up, it's a tract and says, "I'm giving you something better than money."

I used to carry a small folder the size of a dollar bill and one side of it says Tip and the inside says Jesus saves...    I used to use it most of the time but never had less than a Ten Dollar Bill folded up in it..

In Oklahoma most waiters make between $2 to $4 an hour and rely of tips as their real source of income....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, other one said:

I used to carry a small folder the size of a dollar bill and one side of it says Tip and the inside says Jesus saves...    I used to use it most of the time but never had less than a Ten Dollar Bill folded up in it..

That's a good idea. 

Another thing that some people do and don't think about it is to go to a restaurant with friends and set and talk for some time after eating....    all the time you are taking up that waiters table is time he can't make tips from other people....    so to keep them happy I always without fail tip an extra ten bucks if we are there for a half hour chatting...   and make sure they understand what we are doing so they don't get anal retentive about us being there.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

i try my best to be led by Him in how I tip.   I want my tip to be an expression of His generosity and a witness of His love.  I try not  to assume bad service  is all on the waiter.  I don't know if the cook was slow or if they're just totally consumed with something they're trying to deal with.  It does matter what I have on hand but He knows that.  I rarely tip less than 20%.  Like other one I try to be sensitive to the times a group I'm with want to talk and fellowship  for an extended time after the meal and compensate generously for the  lack  of table turnover.  And I tell them I intend to so they can expect not to suffer loss.  In many places tipped employees are truly dependent on the tips.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1