Journey365

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I usually try to leave 20%-25%. I've been on the receiving end as a server when younger and while I really enjoyed it, it could be taxing. Many days of split shifts where you work lunch, go home during slow hours, and come back for dinner shift. I made $2.13 plus tips and then tip share to the bartenders. It looks like those numbers haven't changed although upon searching it looks like there's a stipulation that the server must make at least min. wage. I guess the restaurant would compensate up to that min. wage.

There are people who don't tip regardless of the quality of service. They were rare but I could see that being more common today. So sometimes as a server you're left wondering if you did something wrong when you probably didn't but have to take it in stride in that job.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  533
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,399
  • Content Per Day:  4.99
  • Days Won:  206
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

I don't think people should have to tip,the workers should be entitled to make a living wage WITHOUT what amounts to begging and in many places here in the UK and on the continent it is actually frowned upon to tip as it reflects badly on the owner /company . Some restaurants here have a jar on the counter so all tips go into that jar rather than to an individual ..again unfair as if someone provides above and beyond expected service  they should be able to benefit whilst the rude and unhelpful shouldn't " cash in " on those working hard 

Do I leave a tip ? Yes most times, the amount depends on the number of people in the group and the type of service we have received I also make sure the manger/owner/company are aware of any excellent service be it by speaking to them at the time or a phone call or email the following day giving the name of the server 

It is NOT legal to pay less than minimum wage here so tips are above and beyond what is at least a basic living wage 

• Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  533
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,399
  • Content Per Day:  4.99
  • Days Won:  206
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

I agree with what you are saying in many respects BUT it is up to the people who do eat out ( it is very rare for me due to food allergies ) to ensure that the people doing the job ARE paid a decent wage It would surely be much better to pay a little extra for the food if it included enough to pay the workers properly ? Here in the UK eating out is NOT cheap and you don't even get water free let alone " top ups " so perhaps it is the different cultures that give us some differences of opinion 

• Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 6/26/2019 at 11:41 AM, chrysalis09 said:

I usually try to leave 20%-25%. I've been on the receiving end as a server when younger and while I really enjoyed it, it could be taxing. Many days of split shifts where you work lunch, go home during slow hours, and come back for dinner shift. I made $2.13 plus tips and then tip share to the bartenders. It looks like those numbers haven't changed although upon searching it looks like there's a stipulation that the server must make at least min. wage. I guess the restaurant would compensate up to that min. wage.

How interestingly close our positions as servers were, including the hourly wage we earned. Yes, it was one tough job! Knowing what good service is, I also tip accordingly. Men and women who choose this kind of work deserve a gratuity for how well they do. 20%-25% is pretty standard. 

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

12 hours ago, ladypeartree said:

I agree with what you are saying in many respects BUT it is up to the people who do eat out ( it is very rare for me due to food allergies ) to ensure that the people doing the job ARE paid a decent wage It would surely be much better to pay a little extra for the food if it included enough to pay the workers properly ? Here in the UK eating out is NOT cheap and you don't even get water free let alone " top ups " so perhaps it is the different cultures that give us some differences of opinion 

It certainly does sis.  European ideas of tipping can be very, very different. I lived in Germany for 6 years of my life and there tipping is offensive.  It is viewed as arrogant americans flashing their money.  Maybe not quite accurate assessment of the motives in every case, but that's how the culture views it.  German wait staff are paid for their work and every menu i ever saw there had a notation on it saying "12% mehrwertsteuer inhaltig"  meaning a 12 percent "value added" gratuity is included in  the price listed on the menu.

Edited by Jostler
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  4,249
  • Content Per Day:  2.98
  • Days Won:  1

I usually tip 15%. I think it's the usual case where most of the food service folks are rarely claiming their tips as taxable income so they are getting far more than that 15%.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,789
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I give joyfully like as if I were them ....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• 5 months later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  12,918
  • Content Per Day:  9.86
  • Days Won:  146

I never want it to be said I was cheap when it comes to helping out what I see as lower paid help. I do sometimes wonder though if the people who need the money actually get it. I don't like the way things are set up in the US on a tip system for indoor dining with a waiter or waitress. I understand not all countries treat dining the same. In the US tipping is the norm. 

A few things I have questioned about recent changes in the way we get our food, especially as it relates to take out food. OTOH I doubt the people putting together and bringing out the food are being paid any more, so I'll still tip but maybe a little less since they aren't refilling drinks or tending to me after I get the food. Similar to a buffet where the waitress brings you silver ware and then you never see them again. Not sure how to treat that with take put food. I mean, they bring the food out to you. They might assist in putting items together. That's probably it. A tip in that case I see more as simply helping them out and not paying them for a service at 20%. The employer should be taking care of them IMO. In my opinion the poor cook should get something if they are making beans. They are the ones cooking the food which seems harder than carrying it out to a customer.

It is what it is in the US and so I try to be as generous as I can be which is usually 20% minimum. They usually aren't there because they like hanging out at the restaurant in their off time. 

So far as it being some sort of a Christian witness. They don't know me. They only know if I treated them fairly or not. Anyone can do that. I have been with pastors who ask to pray with them. To me it doesn't seem like the time or the place, but who knows? With the Lord any place can be the right place if He leads us. 

Edited by Starise