Sign in to follow this  
Cletus

What does it mean to confess your sins?

when we read the word confess in the bible written in english it sounds like we just have to proclaim it.  but lets take a closer look at the word confess and a passage containing this word to gain a better understanding:

1Jn 1:8  If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 
1Jn 1:9  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 
1Jn 1:10  If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

this word confess is ...

G3670
ὁμολογέω
homologeō
hom-ol-og-eh'-o
From a compound of the base of G3674 and G3056; to assent, that is, covenant, acknowledge: - con- (pro-) fess, confession is made, give thanks, promise.
Total KJV occurrences: 24

now what i recognized right off the bat with this word is the first 4 letters homo, which means the same, then i read the definition and it says its a compound word so i looked up both G3674 and G3056 in Strongs and here is what i found...

the first does mean the same, and the second part of the compound is from logos and it means in this use, something said.  so basically to confess our sins we say the same thing... as God does.  we call it what it is... sin.  we do not say things like oh well God knows my heart, or it was just that one time, or but i am only human, no. according to scripture we say the same thing God does... its sin.  and also according to scripture if we say we have not sinned we make God out to be a liar, and His word is not in us.  This is not something we should be shrugging our shoulders at or turning a blind eye to.  we need to take this serious. 

The good news here is God is faithful and just to forgive us and also to cleanse us from all unrighteousness if we confess our sins, or say the same thing about it God does.    

• Loved it! 2
  • Praise God! 1

13 minutes ago, Cletus said:
when we read the word confess in the bible written in english it sounds like we just have to proclaim it.  but lets take a closer look at the word confess and a passage containing this word to gain a better understanding:
1Jn 1:8  If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 
1Jn 1:9  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 
1Jn 1:10  If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

this word confess is ...
G3670
ὁμολογέω
homologeō
hom-ol-og-eh'-o
From a compound of the base of G3674 and G3056; to assent, that is, covenant, acknowledge: - con- (pro-) fess, confession is made, give thanks, promise.
now what i recognized right off the bat with this word is the first 4 letters homo, which means the same, then i read the definition and it says its a compound word so i looked up both G3674 and G3056 in Strongs and here is what i found...
the first does mean the same, and the second part of the compound is from logos and it means in this use, something said.  so basically to confess our sins we say the same thing... as God does.  we call it what it is... sin.  we do not say things like oh well God knows my heart, or it was just that one time, or but i am only human, no. according to scripture we say the same thing God does... its sin.  and also according to scripture if we say we have not sinned we make God out to be a liar, and His word is not in us.  This is not something we should be shrugging our shoulders at or turning a blind eye to.  we need to take this serious. 

The good news here is God is faithful and just to forgive us and also to cleanse us from all unrighteousness if we confess our sins, or say the same thing about it God does.    

See the source imageSee the source image1284584906_Isa53_6Wealllikesheephavegoneastrayeachofushasturnedtohisownway.jpg.418e1b71e17ee52adbbd24fc5cb34aae.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

Acknowledge you have done it!  

Acknowledge your guilt! 

Dont just say, “The devil made me do it.....”

or

” She made me do it.....”

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Haha 1
  • Praise God! 1

Posted (edited)
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 7:26 AM, Spock said:

Acknowledge you have done it!  

Acknowledge your guilt! 

Dont just say, “The devil made me do it.....”

or

” She made me do it.....”

Totally agree. accountability is a beautiful thing it helps us to change and God respects it.

Edited by Figure of eighty
  • Praise God! 1

6 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

I had a question though-- is it better to confess vocally our sins or is okay to do it silently in prayer?

He hears  our heart, He hears  our words, go as led :) 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Praise God! 1

In my study of the word confession I came up with this: to agree with or consent to the desire of another. God shows us in His word how we have sinned, then we come into agreement with Him and His desire to admit our wrong and set ourselves to sin no more.

Gary

• Thumbs Up 3

pray & ask Jesus to forgive you for what you have done wrong

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2019 at 1:41 AM, Cletus said:

this word confess is ...

G3670
ὁμολογέω
homologeō
hom-ol-og-eh'-o

There is a scripture.. "He made Him who knew no sin to become sin for us". Jesus is the Khataah to the Hebrews. Khataah is the name of sin. But Khataah is also the name for the sacrafice for sin. Because the sacrafice becomes the sin and is put to death. So if the sacrafice becomes the sin itself when we confess Jesus litterly takes our sin in himself. It is not ours any more it is His..we don't own it anymore he does. One of the names for messiah is The Lord is Khataah. So literally when we give him our sins by confession, his name is on them not ours and they (our sins) become what is sacraficed with Him. You probably need to study the Khataah to understand. I probably am not explaining it very well. It is easy to understand when you study it but hard for me to explain.

Edited by Reinitin
  • Brilliant! 1

Sign in to follow this