Neighbor

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

Since Yeshua is the author of the Tanach, it is understandable that He read this and other books. Qumran gave us an idea of what other writings were available at the time and many are quoted almost word for word by the apostles.

Some of the Qumran commentaries are similar in form to John the Baptists ideas and words and it is quite possible he was acquainted with the Qumran scribes who were very conservative and considered that the Pharisees had lost the plot.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  0

thank you for mentioning this book to us I've seen it on the libiary shelf :)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,563
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 hours ago, shortangel said:

thank you for mentioning this book to us I've seen it on the libiary shelf :)

Hi I recall there being several books with the same title! This is by Dr. Thomas S. McCall and Zola Levitt.

I purchased it some many years ago  at the Levitt Ministries website. Maybe it is at stores or online today. - I just looked. Yes it is  available,  evidently  now published  by a different publisher with a new cover, and it is also on Kindle and ibook, perhaps elsewhere as well. But make sure of the authors if looking  for this particular book.

I have used mine and marked it up pretty heavily over the years. I do so appreciate Dr. McCall and  "my" ( and everyone's) friend Zola.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,460
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I've always been curious as to; from what source Jesus (and the Apostles) quoted scripture from? Did they have personal copies of some of the scrolls? Doubtful because you had to be rich to be able to afford a copy of a scroll. I concluded that they learned and memorized much of it from studying it in the Synagogue. Unless it's used interchangeably by the translators, it's interesting they translated it "book" instead of "scroll" like many other places.

Luke 4:17 (KJV) And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

Luke 4:20 (KJV) And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.

My question would be; were these scrolls in the Synagogue copies of the originals, or copies from the Septuagint transcribed from copies in about 285 B.C.? Who had the originals and when and how were they lost?

Anyway, considering the whole Bible is one Book and tells us the complete story; I like a definition below:

The new is in the old concealed; the old is in the new revealed. ~Augustine

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

On 6/30/2019 at 3:43 AM, Neighbor said:

Oddly, followers of Jesus today-those who seek  to walk in His very footsteps-do not appear to appreciate the Old Testament nearly as much as He did.

"oddly" ?   Jesus revealed the religious leaders were more interested in man's tradition than in the Creator's Word.

Today the same -  religious leaders are more interested in myths and fables and other writings than in the Creator's Word,   and they lead multitudes to destruction.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1

They say that ..."the The New Testament is in the Old Testament concealed...and the Old Testament is in the New Testament revealed. "

I like that. God is building us up level by level. From the ground floor of obscure sounding prophecies given to a few in the OT...to the upper room of visitation from God for all in the NT.

From righteousness to holiness. From what a man can do by his own obedience and righteousness to the laws of God...to an entrance into Christ in order to take on HIS obedience and His righteousness by a new and living way which fulfills the law...in us!

The Old Testament remains the place where we learn what righteousness is.  We learn how God has laid out His holy requirements. The New Testament reveals the power of God (grace) in order to fulfill those requirements.

But we need both Testaments to make up the godly equation. What's the point of having the answer if we don't understand the question?

Edited by Pekoudah
  • This is Worthy 4

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

The Old Testament is in the New Testament, revealed. The New Testament is in the Old testament concealed.

Something My Pastor told us in men's bible study once.

Just my to bits,  JJ

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  05/27/1943

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:03 PM, BorderCowboy said:

The Old Testament is in the New Testament, revealed. The New Testament is in the Old testament concealed.

Something My Pastor told us in men's bible study once.

Just my to bits,  JJ

The story of Jesus is not history prophesied but rather is prophesy historicized. Our gospels, particularly the synoptic gospels were written in the Hebrew/Jewish literary tradition of "haggadic midrash" in which old stories were quite deliberately recycled into the new to establish the continuity of God's connection to his people.

Edited by Takoda
  • Thumbs Up 1