• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/07/1952

On a discussion website, I noticed a comment that said that the writer was turned off by individuals introducing themselves with a bible text.  That started me wondering, what do people think of Christians who visibly wear large crosses and/or visibly carry bibles around with them.  What does this behavior communicate to others, especially to those who are already turned off by church talk and the like?  I understand that wearing crosses and waving bibles may be for some the way to worship God.  However, while I hold each respectfully for what and who they represent, I do not believe that one must advertise that they are a Christian to others. By doing so, they bring glory and attention to themselves and not God.  Didn't Jesus say; "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:35.  It would seem that our loving acts for others was advertisement enough!  Also, " . . . God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart " 1Sam.16:7.  

Edited by Bernard
Correcting sentence thought and structure.
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

17 minutes ago, Bernard said:

That started me wondering, what do people think of Christians who visibly wear large crosses and/or visibly carry bibles around with them.  What does this behavior communicate to others, especially to those who are already turned off by church talk and the like?

For those turned off by church talk,  and for those fully obedient to Yahuweh (God),

it can become visible,  obvious in the lives of those wearing large crosses, etc,  that they are mostly hypos.

The biggest problem today for people everywhere is the whole world does believe the enemy, and serve him, 

instead of serving Jesus and worshiping God.  And a lot of pretenders on the stage of life,  as written in Jesus' Word.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

What a sad thing it is, that a Christian cant even carry a bible or wear a cross without another Christian seeing it as a bad thing.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

I do have cross necklaces & yes I sometimes wear them but not all the time,  I also have glued crosses on to my purse,  I have been getting nice comments from one sales lady at a department store that I shop at,  but I can see what you're saying though, Christians need to walk the walk & not just talk the talk,   

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

1 hour ago, Bernard said:

On a discussion website, I noticed a comment that said that the writer was turned off by individuals introducing themselves with a bible text.  That started me wondering, what do people think of Christians who visibly wear large crosses and/or visibly carry bibles around with them.  What does this behavior communicate to others, especially to those who are already turned off by church talk and the like?  I understand that wearing crosses and waving bibles may be for some the way to worship God.  However, while I hold each respectfully for what and who they represent, I do not believe that one must advertise that they are a Christian to others. By doing so, they bring glory and attention to themselves and not God.  Didn't Jesus say; "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:35.  It would seem that our loving acts for others was advertisement enough!  Also, " . . . God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart " 1Sam.16:7.  

It may not have anything to do with Christians thinking they must wear a cross and carry a bible. It may not have anything to do with drawing attention to themselves. It may simply be that they are newly saved, and in their excitement of their newfound love for Christ, do these things. If this is the case, there is nothing wrong with this.

However, I remember an instance where a person many years ago had a bumper sticker that said “HONK IF YOU LOVE JESUS.” One day someone was in back of her and began to honk. After the 3rd or 4th time, this woman got irritated and, well, expressed with sign language here disapproval of all the honking. She did not realize till much later what had really been the reason for this person’s honking.

On another occasion, I was walking through the mall and seen a man with a t-shirt that said “JESUS SAID HE WOULD VOMIT YOU OUT OF HIS MOUTH IF YOU ARE LUKE WARM.”

Both of these instances are obviously a negative testimony for our Lord, but they do not speak for all Christians. If a person so chooses to wear a cross, or carry a bible, or wear Christian apparel, they need to remember who they represent. And if they live in a close relationship with the Lord, this will not be a hard task as they will always want to exalt Him.

All that being said, I do not engage in these things and probably never will.

Gary

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, Bernard said:

We do not care what people think. It is what is in our heart that matters. Just because a person wears a cross does not make the person a Christian. Even waving a Bible does not make that person a Christian. What makes a person a Christian is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. God knows the heart. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  463
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

At the same time that Christians are advised not to wear crosses "because it offends unbelievers".. there are unbelievers who prominently and openly wear crosses without apology for it.

Christians are too quick to yield their privileges over to the unbeliever. Christians for years have given the television over to unbelievers .. going so far as to call the tv the devil's device... instead of seeing the tv as a tool for evangelism.

After all, it says in John that all things were made by Him, and for Him.

Thank God for all Christians who do now use the internet.. but strangely there are those Christians using the internet as a tool for evangelism where they still write articles against the use of the television for evangelism, having an attitude against those evangelistic programs.

I wonder if any of you have heard..? unbelievers say "let there be light" when they flip the lightswitch. It makes me wonder why Christians don't do that. We far more than they have reason to do it because Jesus is the light of the world and we are to demonstrate the Bible truths.

We too are supposed to be a light to the world also, so why not say "let there be light" when we flip the lightswitch.. bringing light into a dark room.. as a miniature example of what God did in Genesis?

The unbeliever does it in mockery but it's still a recognized connection that we'd all be in darkness without God providing light. 

My point is that whatever we do, we shouldn't find religious reasons for making our Christian effectiveness into ineffectiveness. We should look for every opportunity to let our light shine.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

42 minutes ago, Abdicate said:

How do you know they're Christians? Carrying a bible no more makes you a Christians than you standing in a garage makes you a car. 

Show me the power and the wisdom in the word they carry and I'll be thrilled with their bling! :)

How do you know they are not Christian? 

The assumption has been in this thread that anyone carrying a bible is a terrible person. 

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  463
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

Concerning carrying a Bible with me (other than on Sunday church attendance).. there was a time when I decided to take my Bible and some notes, I'd written down for personal Bible study with me to read through while I waited in the car for a family member while they kept their appointment with the doctor.

While I carried them to the car in preparing to leave, I suddenly had a thought that I, a Christian, was drawing attention to myself for carrying my Bible and study notes out in public..

I actually took them back into the house to leave them there.. because God forbid that I reveal to my neighbors that I tend to do Christian things like carry my Bible outdoors on a weekday with intent to have a private Bible study in the course of regular activities.. but then I thought.. no one was around to see me, and even if there was, why should I care what anyone would think?

I marched myself right back out to the car carrying my Bible and study notes. And I decided to change the topic of my Bible study to address freedom to practice my Christian beliefs.

Why should we let the world influence us to refrain from being who we are and doing a Christian thing that we think of to do? Why should I have a moment of condemnation or embarrassment about carrying my Bible in public as if it were morally wrong?

Why should we think of a way to religiously not shine our light?

Edited by Joulre2abba
-
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 hours ago, Bernard said:

I do not believe that one must advertise that they are a Christian to others.

That is too bad Bernard.

Personally I cannot think of hiding Jesus nor the Holy Spirit within. That is what the enemy of our Lord demands.

I just love the people of the Blue Ridge area of North Carolina for their very open joy in the Lord Jesus that they share aloud and natural like. The greatest so far  has been the man stacking produce at  an Ingles grocery. He was busily working and as I went by he said, " Has the Lord blessed you this morning? He has already blessed me today!" And I knew  I was home, at home there as I responded "Yes, yes, He just did so."

I've been so tickled by it that I have bought into the community there.