• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

11 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

That comes across just like someone saying:   I'm not married yet, but thinking about getting a wife soon,  then maybe a different wife if that one doesn't work out.....  as both adultery and tattoos are forbidden by Yahuweh(God).

I'm happy with it. Praise God, I am happy with it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

How silly  of me to not have a Biblical salutation and closing come to mind!

Shalom! Pray for the peace of Jerusalem.

Had to turn around and notice my Israeli flag to wake up my mind I guess.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 7/1/2019 at 9:16 AM, Bernard said:

On a discussion website, I noticed a comment that said that the writer was turned off by individuals introducing themselves with a bible text.  That started me wondering, what do people think of Christians who visibly wear large crosses and/or visibly carry bibles around with them.  What does this behavior communicate to others, especially to those who are already turned off by church talk and the like?  I understand that wearing crosses and waving bibles may be for some the way to worship God.  However, while I hold each respectfully for what and who they represent, I do not believe that one must advertise that they are a Christian to others. By doing so, they bring glory and attention to themselves and not God.  Didn't Jesus say; "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:35.  It would seem that our loving acts for others was advertisement enough!  Also, " . . . God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart " 1Sam.16:7.  

Your point might be valid, though I'm not too concerned about those who are already turned off by church talk and the like.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:16 AM, Bernard said:

On a discussion website, I noticed a comment that said that the writer was turned off by individuals introducing themselves with a bible text.  That started me wondering, what do people think of Christians who visibly wear large crosses and/or visibly carry bibles around with them.  What does this behavior communicate to others, especially to those who are already turned off by church talk and the like?  I understand that wearing crosses and waving bibles may be for some the way to worship God.  However, while I hold each respectfully for what and who they represent, I do not believe that one must advertise that they are a Christian to others. By doing so, they bring glory and attention to themselves and not God.  Didn't Jesus say; "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:35.  It would seem that our loving acts for others was advertisement enough!  Also, " . . . God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart " 1Sam.16:7.  

1 minute ago, johnthebaptist said:

Your point might be valid, though I'm not too concerned about those who are already turned off by church talk and the like.

On the other hand, if I see someone wearing a cross (not a big one), I feel a connection to them. And carrying a Bible doesn't seem problematic - I don't know it's a Bible unless they show it to me, and why should it bother me that they are carrying a Bible? 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

31 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

On the other hand, if I see someone wearing a cross (not a big one), I feel a connection to them. And carrying a Bible doesn't seem problematic - I don't know it's a Bible unless they show it to me, and why should it bother me that they are carrying a Bible? 

The more life-threatening (soul destroying) problem occurs when someone "feel a connection to them" because of some outward appearance or sign,    but they are rcc or jw or m&rmn or some other cult,  some of which "pretend" to be regular Christian group but are far from it....   and proselytes or the unwary, adult or child,  gets taken in by them.....  in deception growing every day.... (more common by far, worldwide)....

• Oy Vey! 1

21 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

The more life-threatening (soul destroying) problem occurs when someone "feel a connection to them" because of some outward appearance or sign,    but they are rcc or jw or m&rmn or some other cult,  some of which "pretend" to be regular Christian group but are far from it....   and proselytes or the unwary, adult or child,  gets taken in by them.....  in deception growing every day.... (more common by far, worldwide)....

I don't think it's a sin to openly profess our allegiance to Jesus. That is different than trying to jam our beliefs down other people's throats.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  14

13 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

I don't think it's a sin to openly profess our allegiance to Jesus. That is different than trying to jam our beliefs down other people's throats.

Is it not better to lead by example? I have no objection to the amount of jewellery worn by men or women but there are so many who wear the cross as a necklace given to them at some point in their lives ( baptism, first communion, etc.) and proudly display it as nothing more than an ornament added to their attire. They go to church for weddings, funerals and baptisms (child) but other than that it is Christmas or Easter. How then to distinguish between the born again and them? By the lives they lead and words they speak. If so, is it necessary to wear an outward symbol? Do we as Christians not show our love of Jesus to others by our lives, words and deeds? If that is the difference, wear it if you will but it does not differentiate you outwardly from others who also wear the cross. Lead by example. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

15 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

The more common sin is to pretend to be something one is not,  and many are deceived.

• Oy Vey! 1

2 hours ago, Littlelambseativy said:

Is it not better to lead by example? I have no objection to the amount of jewellery worn by men or women but there are so many who wear the cross as a necklace given to them at some point in their lives ( baptism, first communion, etc.) and proudly display it as nothing more than an ornament added to their attire. They go to church for weddings, funerals and baptisms (child) but other than that it is Christmas or Easter. How then to distinguish between the born again and them? By the lives they lead and words they speak. If so, is it necessary to wear an outward symbol? Do we as Christians not show our love of Jesus to others by our lives, words and deeds? If that is the difference, wear it if you will but it does not differentiate you outwardly from others who also wear the cross. Lead by example. 

Part of leading by example is going to church, I think.

20 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

The more common sin is to pretend to be something one is not,  and many are deceived.

Amen.