• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Amen. This post should be pinned.

Some Christians are obsessed with sharing their understanding but neglect the very goal of their Walk in their zeal to be right, justified or even humourous.  Even if they are correct, the way they stand for truth is embarrassing. 

It's always the same excuses when they are confronted as well: "I'm a work in progress" - well, when are you going to make progress on simple matters of courtesy and respect, found even among atheists? Or "This scripture says this and that one says that, so I'm right!" - foolish. Can you not understand the Bible in context? Would you like your words sectioned and judged by God, as you judge God's words?  

@turtletwo, I'm sorry your sister had this run in with others. I hope she hasn't been too discouraged.  There are some great people in here and I hope she gets to see that before writing the forum off.

Love & Shalom 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

19 minutes ago, Tzephanyahu said:

@turtletwo, I'm sorry your sister had this run in with others. I hope she hasn't been too discouraged.  There are some great people in here and I hope she gets to see that before writing the forum off.

@Tzephanyahu I know that from the start you have been one who has acted in kindness and encouraged others to do so. Thanks, brother.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

2 hours ago, turtletwo said:

A sister of mine (a new member, too) was hurt recently by what she considered an insulting remark.

Yes, dear turtletwo, I saw her post and was very disheartened by it. Where it was and the comment, that was missed, and so it was difficult to know much about it. Just that she was really hurt by some terse retorts. I do hope who ever made the offense will see this topic and do some serious repenting. Thanks for posting it. God bless you, sister. 

Shalom,

David/BeauJangles 

• Loved it! 1

The way I see it, until I know somebody I give them the benefit of the doubt. That's what God has laid it on my heart to do. After all, this sister in Christ only joined a little over a week ago... All I know of her is that she is posting things to lift up the name of Jesus. As George says in the TOS, we are to be courteous, not insulting:  Abuse of other posters is not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to, name calling, insulting, harassing, threatening or in any way invading the privacy of another poster. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

5 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

I do hope who ever made the offense will see this topic and do some serious repenting. Thanks for posting it.

Amen. God bless you, brother.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

This is a great thing to remember in the "Prayer Request" threads also. Thanks for sharing this turtletwo! I will say a prayer for your friend. I'm sorry she went through that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

10 minutes ago, EllaGrace said:

This is a great thing to remember in the "Prayer Request" threads also. Thanks for sharing this turtletwo! I will say a prayer for your friend. I'm sorry she went through that.

@EllaGrace Amen, sister. I also feel bad that YOU went through some negative replies when you were simply posting a prayer request. The prayer forum is an inappropriate place to be giving 'advice' or criticism.

I have been a member for 12 years and very active in this forum. Usually, people simply reply "praying for you" & a few encouraging words and scriptures. My understanding is that this is to be the extent of it. We have an advice/ask questions forum. And you were not posting there. 

You were also a newer member who shouldn't have been treated in this manner. I believe it was your first time to post a prayer request.  Ftr, you have been another  uplifting member since joining a month ago. I am blessed to call you my friend. :)

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,184
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, turtletwo said:

A sister of mine (a new member, too) was hurt recently by what she considered an insulting remark. I'm not sure of the specifics but it inspired me to write this thread. My purpose is to address the subject in general. I am not pointing fingers or naming names. I only know that Nedrah's thread put it on my heart to speak on this topic. There is room for improvement in each one of us  for a little more sensitivity and a LOT more kindness. 

Speaking (posting) hastily can have harmful consequences. James 1:19 says,"Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry." Sadly, much of the time 'Quick Draw McGraw' tongue stuff is swept under the rug (made light of and justified by those doing it)... But scripture tells us we will give an account for every word spoken.

Jesus says "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Let's be honest before our so- called 'helpful' advice and 'words of wisdom' come spewing forth. When posting in the heat of emotion...stop and really think it through first. Ask yourself do YOU want to be treated in the same careless manner you are behaving/speaking towards others. Pray to the Lord for clear cut guidance before pushing that 'submit reply' button.

James 3 shows us the dangers of an unruly tongue (not yielded to Christ's Lordship.) Too many are freely posting reprimands and unnecessary mini- sermons. Let's keep it real and examine ourselves with this. Criticism can come in the guise of 'helping' when it is nothing more than 'making points' and wanting to prove we are right. Then it is often defended as being 'exhortation.' 

But God who is omniscient looks upon the heart. He knows the TRUE motives for doing it. Sadly, it can be fleshly...giving a 'rush' or a 'power trip' to the one thoughtlessly speaking/posting. Extreme indulgences in this will amount to a form of cyber-bullying. This ought not to be...especially among Christians. The world is watching as to how we represent the Christ we say we love.

Thanks for reading this. It is a subject that is close to my heart.:emot-heartbeat:
With that said, here's my group hug for my much loved Worthy family.

:group-hug:

Wow!

A Worthy Christian message.

Very well written, and so in the Spirit of Love. That this would become part of our hearts. 

Blessed be the writer and the readers. 

Much love in Christ, Not me 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  407
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks TurtleTwo for your timely words meant to encourage us to always select words and tones that encourage others!

Words have the power to hurt as well as to heal. (Read Proverbs 12:18.) Using words to inflict pain is common in Satan’s world. In the worldly system of things, many use language in ways that “aim their cruel words like arrows.” (Ps. 64:3)  Additionally, the Bible admonishes us: “Let a rotten word not come out of your mouth, but only what is good for building up as the need may be, to impart what is beneficial to the hearers.”—Eph. 4:29, 31.

Jesus taught that “out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.” (Matt. 12:34) Therefore, choosing the appropriate words begins in the heart. Our speech usually reflects how we truly feel about others. If our hearts are full of love and compassion, our speech will likely be positive and upbuilding.

Selecting the proper words also involves mental effort and good judgment. Even wise King Solomon “pondered and made a thorough search” in order to “find delightful words and to record accurate words of truth.” (Eccl. 12:9, 10)  Taking time to meditate on what we are going to say can help us to find the right words. (Jas. 1:19) and this should always be paramount in our speech.  

On a more personal note, I work as a college professor and over the years I have gotten better at perceiving how my words can be understood or misunderstood.  As I age, I just get better at perceiving how my jokes are understood or misunderstood.  I hope the "offending party" was just innocent in what was said and was not malicious.  We hope your sister will return and find the comfort she needs in this forum! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1