• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

nice little website for seeing what's going on near real time

http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/

Quake watchers know it's very unusual for USGS to revise an initial report upward, but they did this time

Showing a 7.1 like EMSC did now

And very shallow (which may change).   details often change as initial reports are joined by reports from more distant stations and a fuller picture  emerges after a quake like this

but it's obviously serious....  Ridgecrest may have very significant damage and loss of life.  we'll see....praying

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,016
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,291
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Yes, it was a 7.1 quake near Ridgecrest.   It struck about 8:20pm last night.   It was stronger and lasted longer than the previous quake.    Since we felt it so much, we knew Ridgecrest was really being hit badly.    Our hanging plants were swaying, aquarium water sloshing some, mom's chair shaking.   I was standing in the kitchen by a counter, could feel it but felt secure by the counter.   We are about 150 miles from Ridgecrest.

The only saving grace for us was that these two big quakes were the rolling, swaying type once arriving in L.A.   The thrust type quakes are more violent, such as the one I experienced in 1994.   That was terrifying.

Ayin, it is a law here that apartments have a Carbon Monoxide detector.   But this management company is shady.   They said they would refuse our rent check if we didn't pay them $135 for a plumbing bill.   We paid it as we thought they would try to evict us...then found out the other tenants didn't pay but called the city.    The city inspector told me to call him next time.   Once this management company  has your money, they won't give it back.   I tried to get reimbursed for $120 when my lock malfunctioned....they ignored me.   They have done more awful stuff to tenants here and in thousands of buildings they manage, including wrongly ruining someone's credit.

• Praying! 4

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  206
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  5,608
  • Content Per Day:  2.84
  • Days Won:  33

Praying for those affected by the Earthquake.

Our father, who art in Heaven

Hallowed be your name

Your Kingdom come

Your Will be done

On Earth as it is in Heaven

Give us this day our daily bread

And forgive us our trespasses

As we forgive those who trespass against us

And lead us not into temptation

But deliver us from evil

For Yours in the Kingdom, the power, and the glory

For ever and ever

Amen.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 2

4 hours ago, Jostler said:

Father we do ask that  You extend Your hand of protection over BeauJangles and all Who are Yours  in that area.  Please let Your power in behalf  of Your people be manifest.  We ask You  to commission Your ministering  spirits  to  go  and do  as You appoint to minister  to  the needs and protection of the heirs of Your  salvation.

In Jesus' Name....amen

Amen.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praying! 1
  • Praise God! 1

Was talking in the Gomorrah topic about the evils nowadays (June was gay pride month here, their parade was televised, etc.)  Mentioned I hope we wouldn't have a major earthquake due to that....see second post.

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/238054-gomorah-demons-are-here-and-about/?page=2

8 hours ago, Debp said:

Was talking in the Gomorrah topic about the evils nowadays (June was gay pride month here, their parade was televised, etc.)  Mentioned I hope we wouldn't have a major earthquake due to that....see second post.

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/238054-gomorah-demons-are-here-and-about/?page=2

Hi @Debp

Oh gosh, what you said actually happened! We've got the same thing going on over here this month in the UK as well. So I assume it is a worldwide thing.

God bless you, and you are in my prayers.

Becky. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Find if funny how the science people talk about things. OK a quake....OK after shocks are expected and this could lead to a BIGGER ONE but then again it may not. In other words we don't have a clue.  A big earthquake could happen absolutely any time possible in the next 100 years. I think all that these things are unpredictable.

I am curious though when one sees these rooms shaking even though all still holds together what's that do to structural integrity inside of a building that you might not see? It boggles my mind to think everything can still just be fine with any building shaking like it does. 

Edited by Rockson

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Felt the next on July 5th praying 

3 hours ago, Rockson said:

Find if funny how the science people talk about things. OK a quake....OK after shocks are expected and this could lead to a BIGGER ONE but then again it may not. In other words we don't have a clue.  A big earthquake could happen absolutely any time possible in the next 100 years. I think all that these things are unpredictable.

I am curious though when one sees these rooms shaking even though all still holds together what's that do to structural integrity inside of a building that you might not see? It boggles my mind to think everything can still just be fine with any building shaking like it does. 

I think it does affect especially the structures that are not built to withstand earthquakes.   I've heard some buildings here like the Cathedral in downtown are built to withstand an 8 quake.   Other newer buildings are built on rollers so they can sway easier.

Our underground water pipes are over 100 years old.   They have been breaking alot over the past 12 months or so.   After the quake on July 4th, a water main broke in the Miracle Mile area.   After the 7.1 quake on July 5, another portion of that water pipe broke.

In my own apartment building, when the rugs were gone due to a big fire in my wing, I saw many cracks on the cement hall floors.   Likewise when linoleum was put into my dining area, many long cracks on the cement under the old rug.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

I am amazed that a 7.1 mag quake has not caused  a single fatality.  Being so shallow and so close to a populated area I can't help but see a hand of mercy in that.  Ridgecrest  residents and the military families on base at China Lake are still in a pretty dire situation, lots  of homes now unliveable - but the lack of  lost life is quite  remarkable.

That whole area is still shaking with a steady  drumbeat of  small quakes in the 1 to  3 magnitude range  ...almost one a minute.  I imagine people in the  area remain  on  edge and  those that have lost  homes are in a real trial for sure.

Knowing what China Lake Naval base  is used for i wouldn't mind seeing that place leveled.  If it could be done without  loss  of innocent life  I'd be willing to push the button myself just to see that place wiped from human  memory.