Journey365

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

As I was reading a book here at home Pastor Shane Pruitt was talking about some Christians trying to be super human. 

There are a number of clichés that make some Christians feel like they are invincible.  In reality though God knows that we have fear

of uncertain things in life. Well Shane Pruitt and his wife was feeling anxiety to adopt a child with severe disabilities. Those church clichés they heard never worked for what they heard. They would have to adapt to a life they never lived before. In the end everything turned out just fine.

Although their adopted son in a wheelchair he can do a lot from it.

I also want to say some of those in the bible had fears also. Abraham was afraid of being killed by the Egyptians because of Sarah his wife being fair. Moses was afraid and tried to be the one not to get the people out of Egypt. Obviously was Jonah was afraid because he took the boat to Tarshish. Daniel was afraid because Nebuchadnezzar was putting people to death. One of them was almost him. Saul who was Paul was blinded when he was on his way to Damascus. Last John in Revelation fell on his face when he saw the vision of the Lord. 

So you see fear can be helpful to us that in the sense we will do the right thing. On the other hand we should not be afraid of everything. There is many times we should have faith and courage in God. I leave with this verse Psalm 3 verse 3 You are like a shield about me Lord. You are my glory. The one who lifts up my spirit and keeps me going oh Lord. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

4 minutes ago, Journey365 said:

So you see fear can be helpful to us that in the sense we will do the right thing.

Sorry, no.   Those examples you gave even, from the Bible, they did the wrong thing because of fear.  Likewise today even moreso.  

See in Hebrews,  the New Testament,  the examples God Gives of faith -   not afraid even of a sudden fear. 

And again, as written,  "God is for me (Ekklesia, not unbelievers),  who can be against?  What can man do to me?" ...

So no,   having fear is not a good thing.   It leads to wrong doing,  and sinful emotions and feelings.  

Did you read the list of those who are NOT in heaven ?      God has not given us a spirit of fear (nor timidity), but of power and of love and of a sound mind.....

No,   no fear.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

I don't believe when folks say "I have no fears", to me this a foolish concept. We all have fears, admitted or not, it is  what keeps us on our toes. A safety mechanism ya might say. As for me, I fear the Lord for certain n don't wanna anger Him. Even tho I shouldn't, I fear dyin' before I complete what God has set me out to do. As I said, a healthy dose of fear is good, keeps us alert n vigilant.

Just my two bits,  JJ

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

@Journey365 Hi. I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. And I really liked what you had to say in your last post where you give examples from the Bible. God bless you :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,448
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

17 hours ago, Journey365 said:

I am sure that most people have some kind of fears...

It doesn't really matter how much someone says that they are tough. They still have fears.

I'm not afraid to tell you my fears..

I've always been afraid of heights. If I were to be for example on the 2nd floor of the mall I wouldn't not want to look over the rail. I don't know why I would be afraid when I know I really wouldn't fall. I still however have been on rollercoasters and airplanes.  On the airplane I sit on the aisle not the window.

My 2nd fear is closed places. I imagine myself in really small type places. The good news is that it's never happened.

The last one is I'm kind of afraid of dying.  Whatever I have done in this life I am going to be judged. I am not one of those people 

that believe in the once saved always saved. There are more scriptures that can prove you can lose your salvation. To put it this way it's the fear of standing before God. I don't know whose names are in the Book of Life. Who am I to say if they are or are not?

Would others here want to share your fears? It can be any fear you have. So who would like to answer next?

I don't want to start another debate on OSAS again; as there's so many of them, and no one will change their theology anyway. But, I had night terrors going to sleep at night wondering if in fact if I was saved, eternity is after all, forever. I personally did I lot of prayer and biblical research on the subject and came to my own personal conclusion that differs from yours. If our Salvation rests in our hands, what we do or don't do; we're in trouble. Christ did it all, and does it all, it's all kept in His firm hand, and not of ourselves. When we accept Christ with belief and faith, we're "sealed" until the day of redemption with the Holy Spirit. I find nothing in scripture that even remotely says we can become "unsealed". 

Again personally speaking my views and not trying to debate; I too had my worries and concerns about Salvation. Salvation seems to be a three step process I won't go into detail with, but they are; I was saved, I am saved, I will be saved. Again, it has nothing to do with what we can do, it's in the Lord's hands. 

The preponderance of the biblical evidence you state, I had the same thoughts. Then I went back and reviewed those verses with the train of thought of 'rightly dividing the Word' and studying it that way. Whom was the author talking to; what about and why: when; does it apply to Judaism or Christianity, the Law or Grace, etc. It made a big difference in my understanding personally. 

You brought up something that makes no sense to me, fear of heights and flying? I was in the military and civil service with hundreds of flight hours in Huey gunships and slicks. Was a licensed private pilot with lots of hours. Now I also have a fear of heights and of flying; go figure? I still go flying with a buddy in his private Piper Cherokee now and then because I want to overcome my fear; but it's pins, needles and white knuckles :o

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,246
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

13 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

You brought up something that makes no sense to me, fear of heights and flying? I was in the military and civil service with hundreds of flight hours in Huey gunships and slicks. Was a licensed private pilot with lots of hours. Now I also have a fear of heights and of flying; go figure? I still go flying with a buddy in his private Piper Cherokee now and then because I want to overcome my fear; but it's pins, needles and white knuckles :o

That 'womp womp womp' y'all made was a beautiful sound to ground pounders, in country.
I got my solo license, 1968, in a Cessna 150, with only seven hours instruction.  (instructor competition)
Next day, while flying solo, practicing,  the black thunder heads moved in on me unawares,
and had my first 90 degree heavy rain, cross wind landing. Attempt.
Had to use full throttle and 'skid (and skid, and skid) in'  hot.
Now there's a fear I don't want again ..............
default_cool2.gif.26c6b0c8ceca275e6d2700846e6a3d4f.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  206
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  5,608
  • Content Per Day:  2.85
  • Days Won:  33

12 hours ago, Willa said:

Fear of falling ever since I was climbing on a steep, icy roof to adjust a TV antenna.  I don't have good spatial perception.  So when my hubby would pass a vehicle on a narrow rocky one lane road when he had a flat tire and there was a steep cliff down on my side I was in terror.  That was a habit of his.  A  suspension foot bridge also terrified me--500' drop and my kids were jumping on it making it gallop.  Now that I am old I am also wary of falling.  It's not easy to get up anymore. 

This morning I nearly asphyxiated.  Something I swallowed blocked my airway.  I could only inhale a tiny  squeak,  so I blew out as hard as I could. I was dizzy and near passing out when I finally could inhale a bit more, and slowly normal breathing returned. In spite of the fact that I would love to see Jesus, I was fighting to breathe.  No big fear there.   Just wishing hubby were there to pound on my back or do a Heimlick maneuver.   

Hi @Willa

I hope and pray you feel better now. Something blocking our airway is a terrible feeling. I hope you are feeling all right now. I've had it, and my mother had it many years ago.

Of course you would be fighting to breathe, even though you knew that if you didn't make it, you would go to be with Jesus. But we would all still fight to breathe. Our physical bodies have that self preservation mechanism, which is what kicked in when you were fighting to breathe and trying to get rid of the blockage in your airway. I'm sorry your hubby wasn't around. When something like that happens, you don't like to be on your own!

Praise God you recovered from it! We still need you here! :amen:

God bless you.

Becky.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  206
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  5,608
  • Content Per Day:  2.85
  • Days Won:  33

Horse Flies.

Their bites are nasty.

Last year, we daftly put our (small) swimming pool in between two bushes, as that was the only flat even ground we could find.

I put on my swimming fancy dress outfit, and went in. I saw a good half a dozen of these horse flies on my thighs, and then felt stinging sensations on my back as well.

Within a short time, the horse flies bites were swollen and sore. We decided that where we had put the pool was not in a suitable place.

Since then, horse flies just don't do it for me!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

15 hours ago, Willa said:

Fear of falling ever since I was climbing on a steep, icy roof to adjust a TV antenna.  I don't have good spatial perception.  So when my hubby would pass a vehicle on a narrow rocky one lane road when he had a flat tire and there was a steep cliff down on my side I was in terror.  That was a habit of his.  A  suspension foot bridge also terrified me--500' drop and my kids were jumping on it making it gallop.  Now that I am old I am also wary of falling.  It's not easy to get up anymore. 

This morning I nearly asphyxiated.  Something I swallowed blocked my airway.  I could only inhale a tiny  squeak,  so I blew out as hard as I could. I was dizzy and near passing out when I finally could inhale a bit more, and slowly normal breathing returned. In spite of the fact that I would love to see Jesus, I was fighting to breathe.  No big fear there.   Just wishing hubby were there to pound on my back or do a Heimlick maneuver.   

I used to work in a chemical plant.We used liquid ammonia for cooling in some areas of the plant.I was working in the vicinity of the Ammonia  Compressor that supplied this coolant to the plant and it sprung a leak.Ammonia vapors hug the ground and can’t be seen.All of a sudden , I got locked up by the leaking vapors....I ran out of oxygen to breathe and just took off running , not having any idea really about which way to escape.I got Lucky and escaped the vapors, but I will not soon forget the terror of not being able to breathe— Nothing will get your attention like getting your air shut off!

cked

• Thumbs Up 2