• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,524
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Another approach: Learn to memorize! Yes memorize, and eventually to see whole pages of passages photographic like in memory. It can be done. My uncle born in 1922 was still memorizing whole chapters and could recite them as answers to questions topical questions about real life issues right up to the day he died just a very few months ago. He was still learning the word of God till his own flesh's death. Did he understand what he read? Yes I sure think he did, for he could quote the Bible as application to real situations and was very succinct about it, got right to the core, the heart each time.

Even I found I could learn to memorize- a hard task at first, very hard for me. But I got to the point I could see whole pages of textbooks including page numbers and footnotes when I was driven to do so. So I guess the question also is, how driven  is the reader/student?

I am gathering several of my own books and Bibles to take on retreat today, will start with three weeks of reading, no cable tv, no distractions, just  my wife, the mountains and time. I do hope to restore some of the capacity I had but have lost good use of, I feel I have deep need to sharpen up. My now deceased uncle being God's example to encourage me  onward.

Run the race as though to win it!

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I've seen many good ideas shared here.

I think God wants us to focus many times too on certain themes that are relevant to whatever one is going through.

For example if one is going through a trial where they're struggling with a certain thing, lets say someone has treated you unkind and you're tempted to go in strife God might have you focus on scriptures to strengthen you on that theme....all verses about love, forgiveness and keeping strife out.

If there's a trial to make you worry well a focus on the theme of trusting God and we can mention many other themes too.

Reading the whole Bible cover to cover can be good though. I think if you're going through some books like Leviticus you might find it beneficial to find out if some of your most enjoyable to read Bible teachers that you respect have commentary teachings in print or video on such books. It's just some good Bible teachers really can explain the significance of what you're reading something that you alone might not be able to do.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  04/10/1972

22 minutes ago, Rockson said:

I've seen many good ideas shared here.

I think God wants us to focus many times too on certain themes that are relevant to whatever one is going through.

For example if one is going through a trial where they're struggling with a certain thing, lets say someone has treated you unkind and you're tempted to go in strife God might have you focus on scriptures to strengthen you on that theme....all verses about love, forgiveness and keeping strife out.

If there's a trial to make you worry well a focus on the theme of trusting God and we can mention many other themes too.

Reading the whole Bible cover to cover can be good though. I think if you're going through some books like Leviticus you might find it beneficial to find out if some of your most enjoyable to read Bible teachers that you respect have commentary teachings in print or video on such books. It's just some good Bible teachers really can explain the significance of what you're reading something that you alone might not be able to do.

I hadn't even thought of others to ask, outside of Worthy. I don't know why that hadn't even occurred to me???  A couple of people come to mind to talk to.  Thank you!    

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,524
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

25 minutes ago, Sonshine☀️ said:

from Romans to Jude.  

Ah thanks! Now I have something to ponder- can I borrow a principle from, the personal finances guru Dave Ramsey and take the smallest  "debt owed" first and pay it down till it is fully paid, then take the next smallest and pay it down till paid off, and so on until the largest debt is finally tackled and paid off and I am debt free.

God has paid my debt of sin and has given me time to read and heed his word the Bible, perhaps the best way to get totally familar with His effort in my behalf is to read as though I am paying down those mounting debts. Take away large chunks of the shortest scrolls/ booksfirst. Hmm I will have to think on that  a bit as I travel up the road to the mountains  while playing a little  Bath Rivka Whitten worship of God music.

Lets see ; from : https://overviewbible.com/shortest-books/

"Here are the five shortest books of the Bible, beginning with the very shortest. These measurements are by words in the original languages. Each of these books is only one chapter long, and would take you a few minutes to read, tops:

1. Third John (219 words)
  2. Second John (245 words)
  3. Philemon (335 words)
  4. Obadiah (440 words)
  5. Jude (461 words)

I got these word counts using Word Lists in Logos Bible Software. Again, these aren’t listed by English word count: this is from the underlying Greek and Hebrew." end of quote from online site.

---

Maybe, maybe not , might try them as memorization practice, will have to think and pray on that a bit.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

One priority we should have is an increasing familiarity with scripture.   This includes familiarity with both the breadth and depth of scripture as well as reading reference materials such as bible dictionaries, atlases, histories, and the like.  We of course have to start somewhere, with something like reading the gospels being a good place. For new Christians, I think a priority are gospels and acts to become familiar with the life of Jesus and the early church.  But at some point for those who've been Christians for many years, we need to have a first hand familiarity with the entirety of scripture.  My opinion is that this best comes from having read the entire Bible through on a consistent basis.   This does not have to be Genesis through Revelation, but should be a method that takes us past *all* parts of scripture on a regular basis (which might be annual, or every 2 years or whatever).  It is familiarity with the breadth of scripture that gives us a solid, sure, and safer base for in-depth study and reading.

We are not forced to make a choice between only reading the Bible through or only studying in depth.  I have done both in my life and both have their strengths and weaknesses.  It is not that one is better than the other.  It is that each gives us something that the other cannot.   We need familiarity with both the breadth and depth of scripture.  Reading the entire Bible provides a necessary framework and structure within which to better conduct in-depth studies.  There are two ways to miss things in the Bible.  The first is to not study in depth.  The second is to not study the breadth.

To be blunt, many of the in-depth studies I've been part of (where one book is studied for a year or more) often become fanciful fishing expeditions at times where supposed deep truths being discovered are merely conjectures and opinions rather than solid truths based on the entire counsel of scripture.  I cannot recall the number of times I've had to restore some sanity to such studies by merely pointing out the existence of some other passage in some other book that no one else in the room was aware of.  This includes studies lead by pastors and teachers with formal bible school or seminary educations who should have known better.  The best Bible teachers I've heard over the years are those who regularly read the entirety of scripture on a consistent basis.  Their in-depth study is then rooted in the entirety of scripture and is more balanced and more true to the entire Bible.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60

5 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Maybe, maybe not , might try them as memorization practice, will have to think and pray on that a bit.

I'm going to speak heresy here.  :)    Early in my Christian walk (first decade or so), I memorized II Thess (in an old Schofield KJV) having picked it primarily because it was relatively short.  Also (in some order I've forgotten), Titus, Galatians, Ephesians, and part of Romans in ASV.  I basically found that my review time to keep things fresh and perfect became unsustainable.

Something I also found was that I rarely ended up quoting anything anywhere.  I had this idea that having these things memorized was going to turn me into Mr. Bible answer man who could drop needed quotes in at every occasion but it never happened.   What I found was that I usually ended up paraphrasing things and expressing the ideas and pointing out where a particular passage was.  Over time, I found that those hours I spent memorizing were much better spent for me reading a book several times and becoming familiar with it in its entirety and then moving onto the next book.

I think we each need to determine what works best for us as the person God created us to be.  As I found later in life with various personality tests and trait preferences such as the Gallup StrengthsFinder, I am a high level strategic type of thinker.  My brain simply processes information in patterns rather than details.  It's why I am a physicist and mathematician rather than an accountant.  It naturally goes to the forest rather than the trees.  It's why I found having read the Bible through in several English versions and three different languages very helpful rather than confusing.  It's why I cannot quote a particular verse but can trivially recall the existence of a number of passages which address a particular question.

I know Christians for whom Bible memorization is fruitful practice.  I've known others for whom it becomes a burden.  The real goal is familiarity with scripture of which there are different methods that work better for different people.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  407
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

As mentioned earlier, reading is a wonderful way to grow spiritually and improve one's relationship with God.  But not surprisingly, the goal is to read with comprehension, mediation and application to self, in line with the counsel of Psalm 143:5, which states, "I remember the days of old;
I meditate on all your activity; I eagerly ponder over the work of your hands."  Additionally, when I read I have found that it works best to reflect on the following questions:

• What does this teach me about Jehovah?
  • What qualities of God do I see expressed here?
  • In what areas of my life do I need to be like this?
  • Of what does God approve or disapprove?
  • How does that affect the way I feel about God?’

• Thanks 1

• Topic Count:  206
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  5,608
  • Content Per Day:  2.85
  • Days Won:  33

Hi @mlbrokish

I've just read this in a daily devotion, about how to read the bible, and I thought of you. Hope its of some help.

Here is a practical point. Study the Bible a little at a time. God seems to send messages as he did his manna: one day’s portion at a time. Choose depth over quantity. Read until a verse “hits” you, then stop and meditate on it. Copy the verse onto a sheet of paper, or write it in your journal, and reflect on it several times.

https://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/upwords/upwords-week-of-july-6-12-11546546.html?utm_source=Christianity.com Daily Inspirations&utm_campaign=Christianity.com Daily Inspirations&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2866589&bcid=5da31583941ac0436f866785e89f41c2&recip=547950175

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  04/10/1972

1 minute ago, Rebecca Pickles said:

Hi @mlbrokish

I've just read this in a daily devotion, about how to read the bible, and I thought of you. Hope its of some help.

Here is a practical point. Study the Bible a little at a time. God seems to send messages as he did his manna: one day’s portion at a time. Choose depth over quantity. Read until a verse “hits” you, then stop and meditate on it. Copy the verse onto a sheet of paper, or write it in your journal, and reflect on it several times.

https://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/upwords/upwords-week-of-july-6-12-11546546.html?utm_source=Christianity.com Daily Inspirations&utm_campaign=Christianity.com Daily Inspirations&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2866589&bcid=5da31583941ac0436f866785e89f41c2&recip=547950175

Thank you! I will go to this link.

xo

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.24

On 7/8/2019 at 2:18 PM, mlbrokish said:

I have participated in bible studies which discusses a summary of portions of the bible. 

If I would plan to set a goal to read the bible completely, an suggestions?  Certain version preferred. Read straight from front to back or follow a reading plan for a method?

KJV straight through.  Read 7 chapters a day your done in 6 months.

• Thumbs Up 1