Journey365

What about the dead sea and the scrolls?

I first want to ask this.

Why is it called the Dead Sea? Is there living fish and other sea creatures in the Dead Sea or maybe not at all? Who knows about the Dead Sea?

My second question is what about the Dead Sea scrolls.

What is the true history of the discovery of the Dead Sea scrolls? How do we know these scrolls are authentic real and genuine? What did they do to prove their validity to especially Christians and Jews who maybe most interested in these Dead Sea scrolls?

What scrolls of the bible did they find? Were there books not found? Were there extra scroll writings there also?

How accurate are the ancient words on the Dead Sea scrolls? Where are these scrolls at today? Can others look at them at some kind of museum perhaps somewhere in the world?

Well just in general share what others here may know of the Dead Sea scrolls. If one has read about them plus also the Dead Sea also. Does it have life or not in that sea?. . What color is that sea? Is it blue green or anything else?

You don't have to answer all questions if you can't. Just try your best what you may know of the sea and also the scrolls.

The Dead Sea is dead to fish and plants. It's too salty and full of minerals. The Dead Sea Scrolls were found in caves around the Dead Sea area. They were the remnants of a library kept by a group called the Essene. Prophecy about the Dead Sea has come true in the last decade - two seas, one given to salt:

Ezekiel 47:8-11 Then said he unto me, These waters issue out toward the east country, and go down into the desert, and go into the sea: which being brought forth into the sea, the waters shall be healed. And it shall come to pass, that every thing that liveth, which moveth, whithersoever the rivers shall come, shall live: and there shall be a very great multitude of fish, because these waters shall come thither: for they shall be healed; and every thing shall live whither the river cometh. And it shall come to pass, that the fishers shall stand upon it from Engedi even unto Eneglaim; they shall be a place to spread forth nets; their fish shall be according to their kinds, as the fish of the great sea, exceeding many. But the miry places thereof and the marishes thereof shall not be healed; they shall be given to salt.”

In order for the verse eight to be fulfilled, verse eleven needs to be in place. Over the last sixty years, this has been happening. Notice that by 2001 (even until today) the lower part of the Dead Sea has become a salt farm “… they shall be given to salt.” Even some maps141 don’t show the lower part as being part of the Dead Sea.

image.png.70a3f662fcde88fa82b158cb13947501.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

2 hours ago, Abdicate said:

Look at Google maps:

That's a very large region, that I completely overlooked when last checking into the goings on at the Western Wall. Umm... uh-oh. Yeah, I know... :off-topic:Sorry! 

22 hours ago, Journey365 said:

I first want to ask this.

Why is it called the Dead Sea? Is there living fish and other sea creatures in the Dead Sea or maybe not at all? Who knows about the Dead Sea?

My second question is what about the Dead Sea scrolls.

What is the true history of the discovery of the Dead Sea scrolls? How do we know these scrolls are authentic real and genuine? What did they do to prove their validity to especially Christians and Jews who maybe most interested in these Dead Sea scrolls?

What scrolls of the bible did they find? Were there books not found? Were there extra scroll writings there also?

How accurate are the ancient words on the Dead Sea scrolls? Where are these scrolls at today? Can others look at them at some kind of museum perhaps somewhere in the world?

Well just in general share what others here may know of the Dead Sea scrolls. If one has read about them plus also the Dead Sea also. Does it have life or not in that sea?. . What color is that sea? Is it blue green or anything else?

You don't have to answer all questions if you can't. Just try your best what you may know of the sea and also the scrolls.

There are countless books written on the subject. If you're interested; I'd recommend "The Complete World of The Dead Sea Scrolls" ~ Thames & Hudson. It's very eye opening.

It took many, many years of piecing together, translating and study before they even released a tidbit of what the scrolls contained. Abdicate above did an excellent job explaining about the Dead Sea and its future. 

The traditional story on how the scrolls were discovered is well established; abbreviated: A Shepard boy was looking for a missing member of his flock with a friend. He suspected or thought it might be in the cool of this particular cave. To check if anything was in there, he threw a rock into it and heard something breaking. In the end; he received a few dollars for his information and find; didn't even get the credit as the finder. Those finds in multiple caves are priceless. 

The Dead Sea Scrolls support the translations of the Masoretic Texts and Septuagint much more than any other translation (IMHO). If memory serves, the Book of Isaiah is the only book of our Bible that was found almost complete.

Well, to answer all you questions I'd be writing a book; see first sentence above.

1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

The traditional story on how the scrolls were discovered is well established; abbreviated: A Shepard boy was looking for a missing member of his flock with a friend. He suspected or thought it might be in the cool of this particular cave. To check if anything was in there, he threw a rock into it and heard something breaking. In the end; he received a few dollars for his information and find; didn't even get the credit as the finder. Those finds in multiple caves are priceless. 

I believe that you are confusing the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls with the discovery of the Nag Hammadi Library. Both were precious discoveries although of a somewhat different nature.

13 hours ago, Takoda said:

I believe that you are confusing the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls with the discovery of the Nag Hammadi Library. Both were precious discoveries although of a somewhat different nature.

Well, the way my memory has been lately, and getting to be. I pulled out my book on 'the Dead Sea Scrolls' (Thames & Hudson) to check and see if I'm confused. The only thing I'm incorrect on is; it was not a single Shepard boy, it was three young Bedouin herding sheep or goats. There's probably alternate views on how the scrolls were found?

9 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Well, the way my memory has been lately, and getting to be. I pulled out my book on 'the Dead Sea Scrolls' (Thames & Hudson) to check and see if I'm confused. The only thing I'm incorrect on is; it was not a single Shepard boy, it was three young Bedouin herding sheep or goats. There's probably alternate views on how the scrolls were found?

You and I have rather similar memories! :emot-LOL:

The scrolls give us an idea of the available texts in the days of Yeshua and the apostles. The Tanach supported by other writings were their scriptures. That is why Peter and Jude refer to books that we are 'forbidden to read' by modern doctrine... or it is frowned upon to say the least.

Few know that up until Qumran, the book of Isiah was suspect in many religious circles. It is good to understand the world-view of the early writers because they incorporated much of their surrounding social ethics and beliefs. A student of the Tanach and other texts will see the heavy Mesopotamian influences reflected in those writings. So it is a good idea to do some comparative historical reading to get fully in the picture. They were NOT 21st century technophobes like us so we had better understand THEIR world-view and not superimpose ours on them when getting a good understanding of what they were really saying. 

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

2 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

The scrolls give us an idea of the available texts in the days of Yeshua and the apostles. The Tanach supported by other writings were their scriptures. That is why Peter and Jude refer to books that we are 'forbidden to read' by modern doctrine... or it is frowned upon to say the least.

Few know that up until Qumran, the book of Isiah was suspect in many religious circles. It is good to understand the world-view of the early writers because they incorporated much of their surrounding social ethics and beliefs. A student of the Tanach and other texts will see the heavy Mesopotamian influences reflected in those writings. So it is a good idea to do some comparative historical reading to get fully in the picture. The were NOT 21st century technophobes like us so we had better understand THEIR world-view and not superimpose ours on them when getting a good understanding of what they were really saying. 

That's exactly right. We can understand the Bible much better when we have a better understanding of the Jewish culture and belief's of the time. Just one "biggie" that comes to mind; is understanding the procedures, events and timing of the traditional Jewish betrothal through and to the wedding ceremony, celebration and feast. It exactly fits the description of the Harpazo, detail by detail. 

The Book of Isiah being suspect: Isn't it odd that Isiah was the only book found that was almost complete?

The timing in history when these scrolls were found, I find interesting also. The exact date of the finding of the Dead Sea Scrolls is not exactly known, but estimated about 1946 - 1947; and Israel, the first nation ever in history to reclaim their homeland after two millennia and after the diaspora, in one day; May 14, 1948. 

• Thumbs Up 1