IGNORED

What about the dead sea and the scrolls?

Journey365

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I first want to ask this.

Why is it called the Dead Sea? Is there living fish and other sea creatures in the Dead Sea or maybe not at all? Who knows about the Dead Sea?

My second question is what about the Dead Sea scrolls.

What is the true history of the discovery of the Dead Sea scrolls? How do we know these scrolls are authentic real and genuine? What did they do to prove their validity to especially Christians and Jews who maybe most interested in these Dead Sea scrolls?

What scrolls of the bible did they find? Were there books not found? Were there extra scroll writings there also?

How accurate are the ancient words on the Dead Sea scrolls? Where are these scrolls at today? Can others look at them at some kind of museum perhaps somewhere in the world?

Well just in general share what others here may know of the Dead Sea scrolls. If one has read about them plus also the Dead Sea also. Does it have life or not in that sea?. . What color is that sea? Is it blue green or anything else?

You don't have to answer all questions if you can't. Just try your best what you may know of the sea and also the scrolls.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

2 hours ago, Abdicate said:

Look at Google maps:

That's a very large region, that I completely overlooked when last checking into the goings on at the Western Wall. Umm... uh-oh. Yeah, I know... :off-topic:Sorry! 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,441
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

22 hours ago, Journey365 said:

Why is it called the Dead Sea? Is there living fish and other sea creatures in the Dead Sea or maybe not at all? Who knows about the Dead Sea?

What is the true history of the discovery of the Dead Sea scrolls? How do we know these scrolls are authentic real and genuine? What did they do to prove their validity to especially Christians and Jews who maybe most interested in these Dead Sea scrolls?

What scrolls of the bible did they find? Were there books not found? Were there extra scroll writings there also?

How accurate are the ancient words on the Dead Sea scrolls? Where are these scrolls at today? Can others look at them at some kind of museum perhaps somewhere in the world?

Well just in general share what others here may know of the Dead Sea scrolls. If one has read about them plus also the Dead Sea also. Does it have life or not in that sea?. . What color is that sea? Is it blue green or anything else?

You don't have to answer all questions if you can't. Just try your best what you may know of the sea and also the scrolls.

There are countless books written on the subject. If you're interested; I'd recommend "The Complete World of The Dead Sea Scrolls" ~ Thames & Hudson. It's very eye opening.

It took many, many years of piecing together, translating and study before they even released a tidbit of what the scrolls contained. Abdicate above did an excellent job explaining about the Dead Sea and its future. 

The traditional story on how the scrolls were discovered is well established; abbreviated: A Shepard boy was looking for a missing member of his flock with a friend. He suspected or thought it might be in the cool of this particular cave. To check if anything was in there, he threw a rock into it and heard something breaking. In the end; he received a few dollars for his information and find; didn't even get the credit as the finder. Those finds in multiple caves are priceless. 

The Dead Sea Scrolls support the translations of the Masoretic Texts and Septuagint much more than any other translation (IMHO). If memory serves, the Book of Isaiah is the only book of our Bible that was found almost complete.

Well, to answer all you questions I'd be writing a book; see first sentence above.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  05/27/1943

1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

The traditional story on how the scrolls were discovered is well established; abbreviated: A Shepard boy was looking for a missing member of his flock with a friend. He suspected or thought it might be in the cool of this particular cave. To check if anything was in there, he threw a rock into it and heard something breaking. In the end; he received a few dollars for his information and find; didn't even get the credit as the finder. Those finds in multiple caves are priceless. 

I believe that you are confusing the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls with the discovery of the Nag Hammadi Library. Both were precious discoveries although of a somewhat different nature.

13 hours ago, Takoda said:

I believe that you are confusing the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls with the discovery of the Nag Hammadi Library. Both were precious discoveries although of a somewhat different nature.

Well, the way my memory has been lately, and getting to be. I pulled out my book on 'the Dead Sea Scrolls' (Thames & Hudson) to check and see if I'm confused. The only thing I'm incorrect on is; it was not a single Shepard boy, it was three young Bedouin herding sheep or goats. There's probably alternate views on how the scrolls were found?

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  05/27/1943

9 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Well, the way my memory has been lately, and getting to be. I pulled out my book on 'the Dead Sea Scrolls' (Thames & Hudson) to check and see if I'm confused. The only thing I'm incorrect on is; it was not a single Shepard boy, it was three young Bedouin herding sheep or goats. There's probably alternate views on how the scrolls were found?

You and I have rather similar memories! :emot-LOL:

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.99
  • Days Won:  21

The scrolls give us an idea of the available texts in the days of Yeshua and the apostles. The Tanach supported by other writings were their scriptures. That is why Peter and Jude refer to books that we are 'forbidden to read' by modern doctrine... or it is frowned upon to say the least.

Few know that up until Qumran, the book of Isiah was suspect in many religious circles. It is good to understand the world-view of the early writers because they incorporated much of their surrounding social ethics and beliefs. A student of the Tanach and other texts will see the heavy Mesopotamian influences reflected in those writings. So it is a good idea to do some comparative historical reading to get fully in the picture. They were NOT 21st century technophobes like us so we had better understand THEIR world-view and not superimpose ours on them when getting a good understanding of what they were really saying. 

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

2 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

The scrolls give us an idea of the available texts in the days of Yeshua and the apostles. The Tanach supported by other writings were their scriptures. That is why Peter and Jude refer to books that we are 'forbidden to read' by modern doctrine... or it is frowned upon to say the least.

Few know that up until Qumran, the book of Isiah was suspect in many religious circles. It is good to understand the world-view of the early writers because they incorporated much of their surrounding social ethics and beliefs. A student of the Tanach and other texts will see the heavy Mesopotamian influences reflected in those writings. So it is a good idea to do some comparative historical reading to get fully in the picture. The were NOT 21st century technophobes like us so we had better understand THEIR world-view and not superimpose ours on them when getting a good understanding of what they were really saying. 

That's exactly right. We can understand the Bible much better when we have a better understanding of the Jewish culture and belief's of the time. Just one "biggie" that comes to mind; is understanding the procedures, events and timing of the traditional Jewish betrothal through and to the wedding ceremony, celebration and feast. It exactly fits the description of the Harpazo, detail by detail. 

The Book of Isiah being suspect: Isn't it odd that Isiah was the only book found that was almost complete?

The timing in history when these scrolls were found, I find interesting also. The exact date of the finding of the Dead Sea Scrolls is not exactly known, but estimated about 1946 - 1947; and Israel, the first nation ever in history to reclaim their homeland after two millennia and after the diaspora, in one day; May 14, 1948. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.99
  • Days Won:  21

17 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

That's exactly right. We can understand the Bible much better when we have a better understanding of the Jewish culture and belief's of the time. Just one "biggie" that comes to mind; is understanding the procedures, events and timing of the traditional Jewish betrothal through and to the wedding ceremony, celebration and feast. It exactly fits the description of the Harpazo, detail by detail. 

The Book of Isiah being suspect: Isn't it odd that Isiah was the only book found that was almost complete?

The timing in history when these scrolls were found, I find interesting also. The exact date of the finding of the Dead Sea Scrolls is not exactly known, but estimated about 1946 - 1947; and Israel, the first nation ever in history to reclaim their homeland after two millennia and after the diaspora, in one day; May 14, 1948. 

Brilliant and very telling observations. Thanks.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

On 7/10/2019 at 12:10 AM, Journey365 said:

I've been to the Dead Sea. It looks just like any other large lake - the water is blue, because it reflects the colour of the blue sky. But it's so salty that you can't swim in it. If you try to, you bob around on the surface - and if any of the water splashes in your eyes, you have to come to shore and wash it out quickly, because it's extremely irritant.

So there are no fish or any other kind of life in the Dead Sea. There are no plants on the shoreline either - the whole environment is just too salty. It's a completely barren landscape, despite the presence of so much water!

1692326581_091GDeadSea.JPG.0131a953dc82b7c86ced2c7eb43efaa3.JPG

The Dead Sea Scrolls are now in a museum in Jerusalem. They have a selection of them on display.

Edited by Deborah_
  • Thanks 1