IGNORED

What about the dead sea and the scrolls?

Journey365

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Days Won:  0

On 10 July 2019 at 12:10 AM, Journey365 said:

I first want to ask this.

My second question is what about the Dead Sea scrolls.

How accurate are the ancient words on the Dead Sea scrolls? Where are these scrolls at today? Can others look at them at some kind of museum perhaps somewhere in the world?

For the history and what books the scrolls cover you will have to use google.

Your question about the accuracy of the scrolls needs answers from you or questions for you.

How are you able to evaluate the accuracy of biblical translations?

How do you evaluate the accuracy of modern translations of other ancient books?

If you are able to do this you are also able to evaluate the accuracy of the dead sea scrolls.

Otherwise use google to find books about bible translation and read them to learn not only how the bible was/is translated but how scholars evaluate different manusacripts and how this affects the bibles we use daily.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  05/27/1943

From my understanding very little water from the Jordan River (the main tributary) actually makes it to the Dead Sea because most is diverted for irrigation by either Israel or Jordan. Because of this the Dead Sea is shrinking and becoming even more saline, so much so that a big potion of the DS is now being used as salt farms. Fish that are washed down from the Sea of Galilee die very quickly. There is a plan afoot between Israel and Jordan to build a pipeline down from the Gulf of Aquaba  to deliver sea water  to the DS in order to restore its water level to its historic level.  There is very little fresh water entering the DS and fish are definitely not returning in spite of what you might hear from false news sources.

5 minutes ago, Cletus said:

the article is just for a foundation to get you started.  there is actually a lot more sources on this. 

Can you give me a reference to a legitimate scientific journal that documents this. I don't want wishful thinking or more false news.

18 minutes ago, Cletus said:

the article is just for a foundation to get you started.  there is actually a lot more sources on this. 

As a Christian of over 75 years it saddens me to say that there is a lot of misinformation  being produced and directed toward Christian believers today. It would seem that truth and the search for it is no longer a priority with us today.

Cletus--- you called me a skeptic. Thank you, that is high praise indeed! All of us as Christians should be very skeptical of scientific claims, of historical claims and of religious claims.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

the dead sea is about 1400 feet below sea level and no water runs out of it.    Unless one finds some way to add more water to it than evaporates it can't get less salty...   ever.  The water that runs into it from both ends bring more salts and minerals and when the water evaps, it makes the sea more salty.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

6 hours ago, Cletus said:

did you see the link i posted one above you?  there is a link to a youtube video on the article.  fresh water and fish are returning to the dead sea like the bible says it will.  check it out.  there are other videos on youtube also.  i do not support everything said in the videos. 

"Fresh water is now flowing into this Rift Valley expanse that has been unable to support life since the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah thousands of years ago"

That's not news. Fresh water (the River Jordan) has been flowing into the Dead Sea for millennia, but it doesn't change anything.

"And freshwater fish have now been seen swimming in the surrounding sinkholes that have opened up in recent years as the sea, made up of 33% salt, has been receding."

Hmm... not in the Dead Sea itself, you notice, which is still 33% salt!

In other words, this article isn't really saying anything wonderful at all.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

On 7/13/2019 at 3:40 PM, Cletus said:

they are stretching things way beyond what I can really reach here.   The dead sea is shrinking and fresh water is running into holes that are separated from the dead sea so these holes are not really part of the sea itself   It's really just an extension of the water coming into the sea where the sea doesn't exist any longer.

Sounds good on the surface but there really isn't any depth to the video.   Their conclusion is really not valid.